Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Drake Beats Beatles' Billboard Record

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^^ Some people that are into Mendelssohn or Schubert or Tchaikovsky Or Monk or Charles Mingus or Duke Ellington are still horrified/stupefied at the perceived musicality attributed to the Beatles.

Jus keepin’ it real yo !

2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Rapping, versus playing together in a combo with four instruments, and harmonizing vocals is not even comparable. The early Beatle's recordings were done with no multi-tracking or studio wizardry. George Martin basically recorded them as a live combo in the studio.

3. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    Of course he broke the record. When the Beatles released an album or single on a certain day, most of the world might not even hear it on radio for a few days or see the album in the shop until weeks later.
    Now with technology if a single is released by a big name, it's possible millions could have it minutes after release.

It is interesting The Beatles are still the standard all these years later.

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    The Billboard charts measure unit SOLD, not streamed. So, you can actually compare the numbers.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    This is the only Drake I care about.
    [​IMG]

beninma likes this.

6. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Back to technology again...

How many times has anyone gone to buy an album in 19xx whatever and they were sold out... "You have to wait until next shipment youngster!!"

The whole world could buy whatever they want now and have it in an instance!!! Not to mention that I would bet many simply buy it for 99 cents disregarding the actual value of a dollar!

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Yeah, but how good is any of that stuff really...

8. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    I hate Drake (because I love hip-hop), but point of order... he's done a bit more than "just" rap. Might look up his songwriting credits as well as his familial links to Sly and Reverend Al.

King Creole likes this.

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I used to buy 45's in the late 70's, and they were more expensive then than a download is today. It's hard to beat the value of today's technology.

And I know what you mean about having to wait for the next shipment. That was really frustrating in a small town. I got lucky, though, in 1978 when I got hired at Woolworth's department store. I was eventually put in charge of the records and tapes section, and I got to order anything I wanted. My record collection grew a lot in that year.

Wildcard_35 likes this.

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Never listened to his music, but I don't begrudge those who chase/create success. Good for him. Though I'm not sure I care.

We as a society love comparisons...we are competitive down to our core. Even those who proclaim to not be competitive are. Things are different in all regards compared to when the Beatles established their fame. Time brings about change.

I guess a lot of people like his music. Maybe I should read some of his lyrics before venturing into his aural landscape.

11. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Does anyone like Drake who's willing to explain it to me? I'm just curious what he's about, and I don't expect to get it by listening to more of it (I've heard only a little). I have nothing against him at all.

I already know why people don't like him. You're old and play guitar. I get it. The Beatles were a boy band, though.

Wildcard_35 and King Creole like this.

12. DaddyG

DaddyG Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2012
    Norton, Ohio
    I do not know who Drake is, but The Beatles...that's another story. For some reason I do not believe that Drake will have as many tribute acts as The Beatles have. No one will remember him fifty years out, but people will still be listening to The Beatles.

Shango66 likes this.

13. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    What’s to really “get” about any artist at all? You either hear something and like it or you don’t, I thought.

Wildcard_35 and william tele like this.

14. buster poser

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    I don't dislike him because I'm old and play guitar (though those are both true); I dislike him because the style is very soft/poppy, and because I've never dug these mogul types (Jay, Kanye, et al).

"The Beatles were a boy band," lol... not even worth it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    bottlenecker likes this.

15. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Compare to Gorillaz' latest album.. similar genre, no attention at all. I'd argue it's phenomenally better than Drake's.

16. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I have changed my mindset toward music I don't like. Instead of the music offending me personally, I say to myself, "I'm not the audience for this," and move on. If I care to, I might take the time to give it a close listen to see what's going on with the music. I might find some impressive elements in the music that could make me a better musician. But if I'm not going to take the time to understand it, it's better that I move on than to be offended that it's not something else.

The geezer threads on this website are out of control.

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Some folks want control and if they can't control it then...it's out of control.:)

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

My daughter is a big Gorillaz fan. Likes them more than Blur.

19. buster poser

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    "Man, this."
    --Geezer

King Creole likes this.

20. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Forgetting which one but I practically listened to a Gorillaz album non-stop through most of 2005.

I'm 40, I don't have any issues with requiring guitars in music to consider it music. I like a lot of electronic music/EDM and some of the creative hip hop stuff. I was a huge fan of Moby back in the day too, though he plays guitar & piano.. he was never dependent on an apple laptop to make music. Guitar dominated music has been in the dumps in a lot of ways since I hit the adult world around 2000 IMO. I was way into rock/metal/alternative in the 90s but it got so stale around that time I started listening to a lot more of the non-guitar genres as an adult and now I've come back to more rock since I started playing guitar. Ironically though playing guitar and taking lessons I learn almost no music that was written after 2000, the majority of stuff I've learned was written before I was born!

But hip-hop/rap/EDM/whatever seem to be the same as country/rock/etc.. and the other guitar dominated genres... the popular stuff isn't necessarily good.

Hindsight is 20/20 but it's super obvious to me when you're young you are powerfully driven to like what everyone else around you is talking about as peer pressure is 1000x stronger as a kid/teen than it is as an adult. Stuff like online streaming + social media seems to have amplified this a lot.

I do think there is something magic about the basic formulas of drums/bass/guitar/vocals... they're simple enough and the way they're played forces you to learn music in a certain way... the electronic stuff makes it too easy to ignore some of that stuff and you're spending tons of time learning technology rather than music. That has been my experience as well. I always wanted to learn the electronic stuff.. I took a couple classes in college + piano lessons.. I have learned more "music" at a much faster rate by taking up guitar.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.