Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Drake Beats Beatles' Billboard Record

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:44 AM.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/10/entertainment/drake-beatles-record/index.html

Drake's "Scorpion" album set a record by posting seven simultaneous singles on Billboards Top 10.
    That toppled The Beatles record of five singles set in 1964.

The rapper broke his own record of most singles charting in the Hot 100 with 27 -- including all 25 tracks from "Scorpion."

His record label Republic Records announced this week that "Scorpion," Drake's fifth album, has crossed the one billion mark in total streams - a first for an album in its first week.
    Over on the Billboard charts Drake also surpassed the late Michael Jackson as the artist with the most Hot 100 Top 10s in his career among solo males.

2. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    This is sad. And let me say from the get-go that I'm not some musical Luddite who isn't willing to listen to anything new or different - I like plenty of contemporary music, including hip-hop. But I cannot, and likely will never, understand the fascination with Drake. His music bores me, plain and simple. The idea that he has overtaken the Beatles and Michael Jackson in any measure of musical popularity is nothing short of mind-boggling.

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Who cares. I don't like Drake, I like the Beatles.

4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Technology is how. In the early 1960's news traveled much slower. The Beatles had an album out, were pretty much legends in England by the time they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show, which was most of America's introduction to them. Nowadays people all over the world have access to media via cell phones and I-pads. A much bigger audience.
    Listening to music used to require specialized equipment, like stereo systems with turn-tables, tape, or CD players which required going to the store and buying albums of music.
    It is just so much easier to hear music nowadays.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    NoVa
    Here's the answer from Wikipedia: Widely attributed to American author and social critic H. L. Mencken (1880–1956) but not found in his published works, so the source and original form of this expression are not known with certainty.[1]

Likely a paraphrase of: "No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."[2]

Proverb
    nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people

Americans, as a group, are not especially intelligent and can be readily entertained or fooled to produce financial benefit for someone.

drlucky, kuvash, Wally and 2 others like this.

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I think, practically speaking, labels released singles in sequence, giving a little 'float time' between them. Now they are all dumped at once. Drake's numbers reflect streaming and downloads, so if people are streaming (rhapsody, spotify...so they didn't actually 'buy them' individually, just chose to listen to them for free enough times to chart) one song at a time in order to listen to the whole thing, or buying one song at a time...there you go.

It seems down to how the business and consumption are currently handled.

Looking at a chart of sales to see how 'good' music is seems to be a fool's errand.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    drlucky, dogmeat, Piggy Stu and 2 others like this.

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    What I like about the moment that The Beatles dominated the Billboard Top 5 was that some of those singles were over a year old, and came back onto the Top 10 charts. I wonder if anything from this new Drake album will still be on the charts in a year's time.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I sat down and explained this to my beagle-mix, Daisy. It shook her up about as much as it did me. I was there in 1964...I saw the Ed Sullivan show, I listened to Meet The Beatles, I witnessed the birth of a musical revolution. (based on another revolution of a few years earlier) Records will always be broken.....it doesn't affect me. I don't regularly listen to ANY music today because it's trendy. I listen because I like it. I'm going to go listen to Drake now to see what the fuss is all about....somehow doubt I'll listen more than once.;)

dogmeat and Wildcard_35 like this.

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    The article in the OP is actually about sales. This article is also talking about actual sales, not streaming.
    http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-songs-of-2018-so-far__22432/

But yes, the songs are all available at the same time, so people can simply buy the songs they want from the album rather than buy the whole album.

When you look at album sales, the numbers aren't that impressive.
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/best-selling-albums-songs-2018-far-2282991

I heard Bruce Allen comment once on the state of album sales. He said that a Top 10 album these days might sell 20,000 units a week. In his prime, Bryan Adams was selling 500,000 units a week.

2 Headed Goat, ndcaster and Obsessed like this.

10. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I tried to listen to his new album (the one this news is about) a week or so ago and couldn't get through the first song. The timbre of his voice is annoying as hell.

Going to give it another try but the pitch/tone/whatever of the way he raps just grates. There are some rappers that I think have amazing tone/timbre, I'm not sure how the current wave of them are so annoying to me yet so popular. Some I've really appreciated over the years would include Snoop, Busta Rhymes, Chuck D (the current prophets of rage stuff I like), Eminem at some points, etc.. so it's not like I just hate them all. Though I'd say Eminem has adopted the current style and I don't like his newer stuff.

That said I don't like the way the content has gone either.. 20 years ago a lot of the material was about struggle. All the new stuff about "I'm so great", "I have all the bling", etc.. is a hollow message.

Gunny and Nubs like this.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Quality is how.

Drake is only 1 guy.

The Beatles were 3 ! (Well 4, if you want to count Ringo :rolleyes: )

So , it took 2 or 3 ( if you want to count George :rolleyes: ) times the manpower for lesser results.

12. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    It doesn't count. As fewer records sells you are going to brake a lot of old records. The last record to be released is of course going to brake every record. eg 36 years as No 1 etc etc

13. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I'm not an especially big fan of the Beatles but I really do not like Drake.

The Beatles and artists of their generation sold millions and millions of singles and albums to achieve their records at a time when the media was still in its relative infancy. Their releases were physical manifestations not zeros and ones that can be accessed off any number of Spotify and Deezer type facilities for free / next to free.

I really don't see how anyone can compare "Billboard 100" singles accessed by streaming to actually cutting vinyl.

The Beatles are also still credible almost 60 years after they hit the charts. I don't expect that Drake will have anything like that longevity, irrespective of how many times his singles are streamed.

ROADMAN and dogmeat like this.

14. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Let alone having folks still listening and enjoying Drake songs 50 years later.

Dan R and dogmeat like this.

15. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    It’s just a data point...

When I was 17 or 18 I told myself that when I grew up into middle and older age, I would never ever try to tell young people how they should cut their hair or what kind of music they should enjoy.

I’m not going to break that promise now.

16. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Noise is noise, no matter the technology.

Oh! We're not talking about jazz?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 10:59 AM
    dogmeat likes this.

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I think this is a considerable factor, but I also see a trend in which a certain style of music is becoming very much a status quo worldwide, due in large part to exactly what you stated above. There are still many genres of music but it's really apparent that there's a common thread that seems to be finding it's way into many of them. I don't view it as good or bad...just the way it is.

18. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Yeah I agree with some of the other posters. I'm very confused about Drake. Specifically, what the big deal is?
    I'm a dad, mid-forties, I have and do like some hip hop, but I'm no longer at the vanguard of what's new. I had to give that up some time ago.
    If "what the kids are digging" sounded like "an awful racket" to me, that would be fine. It's the way of things.

With Drake however, I'm thinking "this is really boring. What are they seeing in this?"

As a grumpy old man in the making, this seems out of whack with the way of things.

Gunny, dogmeat and Wildcard_35 like this.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

B-but if you guys are going to make fun of Canadians, could you at least give the Bieb a rest every so often and use Drake to make fun of us? Thank you!

(Actually, I like The Weeknd more than either. He tries to channel Michael Jackson, at times.)

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I don't whether to be horrified or stunned !

Horrified because of the perceived musicality of Drake when compared to the Beatle's work or stunned because a this can actually be a recording star:

download.jpg

Dan R, Gunny and dogmeat like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.