Dr. Z owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by eggman, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Update.....

The Dr Z Maz18 Jr I got a couple of weeks ago developed a "sympathetic" buzz. On Monday, I took it back to the shop where I got it and they took it to bits and checked / tightened everything up. That has reduced the buzz significantly but it's still there on a limited range of notes / frequencies. It's going back again this coming weekend and I'm hoping they can resolve it fully. Otherwise, I'll be looking to swap it for similar.

Far from the end of the world, but why is life always so complicated....?

2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Back in the club!

A Z28 2x10" combo was my #1 amp from 2011-2015. Traded it for a 1966 Fender Super Reverb, and have never regretted it. Still have and love it. Thru several profitable gear acquisitions and trades over the past 2yrs and I'm back into another Z28. This one a 1x12 with a Greenback and a Z Brake Lite. Building a small pedalboard for it currently, it'll be my main gig amp/rig.

rebelwoclue and hovik like this.
  3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice bigben! What kind of difference to you hear in the 1 x 12 vs the 2 x 10"?

4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Tons! 1. Not as bright, not as loud, not as clean, not as much headroom. The 2x10 I owned had the Z Blue Label 10"s. I kniw those are Eminence made, 75 watt ceramic, probably close to the Ragin Cajuns. Loud, clean and efficient. This 1×12 has a Greenback. Not as loud, as clean, nor does it have the headroom. But it has enough! It's more midrange forward, and smoother in full on crunch mode. I am not a Celestion fan in general but like this one in this amp.
    2. I played TungSol to 6V6s, with a JAN GE 5751 in V2 in the 2×10. This has Genelex Gold Lion ri 6V6s with a NOS GE 12AX7A in V2. I like this better. I've read JJ 6v6s don't rattle as much anymore so I'll probably get those again next.
    3. If I'd had bought a Z Brake Lite with the 2x10, I probably would have never sold it. Don't know how I lived without it! If you don't have one, get one!

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

1509550033753.jpg

6. Paul Jenkin

As a Maz18 Jr owner, I've been wondering about getting a Brake Lite. I've got the foot switch - which seems to just turn everything up to 11 and also a Z Drive which allows me to get some distortion at lower volumes. As I'm very new to all of this, could you please elaborate (in simple terms - for my benefit) what the Brake Lite might do for me that the Z Drive won't / can't.

bigben55 likes this.
  7. Frankie

Frankie Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I use the mini zone brake in my Deluxe Reverb RI, it works awesome. Does color the tone a bit when trying to get bedroom levels. But on stage, it works great, don't even know it's there.

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I may have to do that- I just found a Z-best 2 x 12 cabinet for my KT45- lots of headroom there.

bigben55 likes this.
  9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

The Brake Lite will let you get "your tone" at lower volumes and let you tailor your volume to the room/venue if you gig. It mounts in your cabinet(2 screws and some velcro), the speaker plugs into it, then it plugs into the amp. It has 5 settings, 0 thru 4. At 0 it's off. Each "click" on the knob reduces your volume a few decibels, by 2, 5, 8 and 11dB. Clicks 1 & 2 really don't change your tone at all, not to my ear. 3 adds a little more compression, maybe an iota less treble. 4 a little more than that, but really, i think its minimal. Going from 0 to 4 doesnt make your tone "suck." Easily fixable, turn the gain down a touch and the treble up a touch. At 4, I can crank it in my basement and not get yelled at by my wife upstairs, and my house ain't huge. I find 2 about as low as I want to go at band levels. I generally leave it there.

So, I'm at a gig. Soundman asks me to turn down. I add a click and don't touch my amp knobs. Say I can't hear myself, go from 2 to 1. Amp settings and therefore pedal settings don't change. I use pedals too and since it works on the speaker, it reduces the pedal volumes accordingly along with amp volume. If you don't gig or play with a band, the Brake Lite is less useful but still worth it IMO. Your Maz has a master volume, my Z28 does not, so it's gonna be more useful to me than you. It'd still be a useful tool for you. Many Z amps come from the factory with the Z Brake Lite installed, so it will increase the value of your amp; it's not a modification in other words.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Paul Jenkin likes this.
  10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Regarding your buzz/rattle, it's worth $10 to buy some of these for your power tubes to see if this fixes it. They're heat resistant O rings called tube dampers. I've had tubes that rattled internally that these helped with. 1509626034935.png

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  11. Paul Jenkin

bigben55 - Many thanks for taking the time to provide this level of detail on the issues I've raised. I will try to get some of those tube dampers. The issue was "resolved" the weekend I took it back because they very kindly swapped the amp for another - and that one doesn't have the buzz. However, prevention is better than cure, in my book.

I'll also see about getting a Brake Lite on the basis you've outlined. They're not mega expensive and if it keeps my wife from having hissy-fits about amp volume (we don't have a basement or loft - just a small, modern, two bed semi-detached house with wafer thin walls.....:confused:

12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

No problem. Tube rattle can happen in combos. A lot of folks prefer head/cabs partially to eliminate that. It's correctable, just buy dampers or better tubes or both. I think the Maz18 is cathode biased, so power tubes are plug and play no adjustment needed. Just used matched pairs.

The Brake Lite is a great tool. I love having it, and am not trying to talk you out of spending another $200. But on a Maz18, if you're just playing at home, you can turn the master volume down. Set your clean, use your pedal for OD. I love killer, inspiring guitar tone, but I save my "loud time" for when no one else is home. With the family here, I just turn way down and play and worry less about amazing tone and more about getting better. I've seen threads of folks spending big bucks searching for AMAZING 1 watt or 5 watt amps so they can crank it at home. Dr Z even used to make the Mini Z for just these folks. If much rather have an amp I could play out and turn down at home. Gigging out, even jamming with friends, the Brake Lite shines. But to be honest, if i had a Maz18, id just turn it down. Not an option with my Z28. It has 3 knobs, vol-treble-bass! I legitimately need the BL.

13. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

Maz 18 owners, how do you set up your amp? I'm looking for a big full clean sound as a pedal platform and can't quite get there.

14. Arafel

Arafel Tele-Meister

I have an EZG 50 head that I love. It sounds amazing.

15. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Happy to hear that your problem was solved.

Tube dampers may be useful, but I haven't been inclined to try them.

Z-Owners with EL84 power tubes: The Russian military 6p14p (6n14n) tubes are great sounding and I expect them to last a lot longer than any current production EL84. I purchased my MAZ 18 Jr used and it had a pretty decent tube set with EL84M ("military grade") power tubes. Following Dr. Z's specification for new amps and some chatter on his web page, I bought a pair of 6p14p tubes from a forum member. HOLY COW! What a difference - the amp went from simply Great to Magnificant. I immediately ordered a second set - as insurance against the supply being dried up when (if) I need a new set.

See http://ztalk.proboards.com/thread/72831/6n14n-selected-tubes-available. Great communication and service (great product too).

16. Rideoften

Rideoften TDPRI Member

D791BEB8-0406-4CE5-83FD-77005B384789.jpeg My MAZ 18 is such a wonderful amp, I decided to add a Dr Z Cure. While both are great, I love the 32lbs Cure.

Frankie and hovik like this.
  17. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Been in the Z camp a few years now but never checked in here. Here's my Carmen Ghia. At the time I bought this I also had a Mesa v25 and a Fender '68 CDR...I sold them off rather quickly and have had very little to no amp GAS since. Just gigged with it Saturday and I'm still just as impressed as when I first got it. I use a Suhr Koko boost Reloaded and either a Gain Changer or Direct Drive and it's just about perfect. Takes my other pedals great too. All in all, it's a total keeper

Screenshot_2019-02-19-22-29-08~3.png

18. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I have participated in answering the odd question in the Dr. Z owners for a few years, but finally realized that I never posted the Z amps that I own.

I have a 2010 Monza and a 2012 Maz Jr R.
    image.jpg image.jpg

19. 55er

55er TDPRI Member

My Mini Z. The mouse that roared.....

[​IMG]

20. vox Phantom

vox Phantom Tele-Meister

This is just a question do any of you guys play a DR Z Z Wreck? drz-zwreck-head-cab-silver.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.