Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Dr Z Cure anybody?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by hrstrat57, Dec 30, 2016.

1. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Looks pretty killer....anybody on this one yet?

No Reverb, no tremolo- $1299

2. davebolden44

davebolden44 Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2014
    Maryland
    i have a remedy and used to have a z 28. i think dr. z are the best all around amps you can buy. excellent quality with focus on vintage tone. priced really well and are handwired in the usa. cure is a stripped down z lux. you can never go wrong with a z. he carries the philosophical torch of the late great Ken Fisher.

hrstrat57 and Ed Storer like this.

3. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    There's a mint bedroom only Therapy on local CL $1200 nice!

Too much beast for me at the moment tho supposedly cruises nicely turned down.

This Cure seriously looks awesome.....

4. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Crickets on this? Bueller? Nobody on dr Z Cure?

5. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

I never really understood the "boutique" amp thing, especially the prices they charge. If you can't sound good with a Fender tube amp, a high dollar amp is the least of your problems, but, to each their own................

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    alnicopu and 8barlouie like this.

6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    It's not much more than a PRRI.....

I don't get the $2500 boutique stuff either but this beaut looks priced nice!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    bparnell57 likes this.

7. davebolden44

davebolden44 Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2014
    Maryland
    dr z amps are all hand wired. considering anything fender currently puts out that is hand wired is like 2-3 grand i think Mike Zaite is quite fair with his prices. boutique is just a word somebody gave something that is built with love by individuals and not machines soldering un-serviceable junk boards together. nothing against fender though, i have an old twin reverb and a super reverb and they are the best amps imo

hrstrat57 and jsnwhite619 like this.

8. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    nicaragua
    A friend of mine, killer pro player for the last 40 years, loves his old Fenders and Marshals, but he swears by his Maz 38.

hrstrat57 and bparnell57 like this.

9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island

10. premiumplus

premiumplus TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2009
    michigan
    I'll resurrect this thread...since nobody has one to review and I will on Tuesday. Check out some clips, this is a very cool sounding amp and the level control is said to be incredible. You can cut down to whisper levels and not lose any tone.

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Volume, Master, and Level?

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    ANY high-quality hand-wired tube amp costs about the same. Look at Fender's new hand-wired amps.

Also check the original prices of vintage Fenders and use an inflation calculator to determine what they would cost new - today. The same as "boutique" amps.

these types of amps are not expensive - they are fairly priced for hand-wired tube amps. They can't be compared in durability and ease of service with new, production PCB amps - which are essentially disposable at some point in their life cycle and are not made to last for decades.

And while you may think cheap amps sound "just as good" many disagree, and without being "tube amp" or "boutique" "snobs".

If you don't understand them it's because you're making invalid comparisons with unequal products. If you compare like-to-like they make perfect sense.

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    OK

so nobody on TDPRI has gotten there hands on a Z Cure?

Nobody?

Waiting for a hands on member review?

14. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Ha!!! Reminds me of the old Xerox commercial. "Is it a Xerox?" (insert vintage Fender). "No, but its as good as a Xerox" (insert vintage Fender).

15. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2011
    Jersey City
    I played a cure and would one one if I didn't already own a Redplate delux, a very similar amp. To me it's the ideal 6v6 gig amp, fender-y when you need it but a purer, less filtered tone that provides more mids and more of your guitar/pickups. Plenty of grind with the interactive eq and volume/master, the master is wonderful - I have two other Zs and his master volumes are crazy good. I didn't try the fx loop, but I'm sure it's good. Really the perfect club, grab n go IMO

hrstrat57 likes this.

16. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you think 15 watts is enough to gig with? I've tried a PRRI and a 5E3/tweed deluxe at rehearsals, and there is just not headroom. They get loud to a point, then just start to mush out.

17. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2011
    Jersey City
    I think so. It is not as gainy as a 5e3 and much tighter than a princeton plus the mids help it cut easily but it also depends on your arrangement. When I do pop/theater gigs, it has plenty of headroom, in my rock band it's at breakup but that's how I play usually. Never have problems hearing it and it cleans up very dynamically

flyingbanana likes this.

18. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2009
    north alabama
    Not tried a cure but I own and gig a prescription ES and a maz 38 a lot

hrstrat57 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.