Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DR. Hack it up...DSL40cr combo to head conversion

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bftfender, Jun 7, 2018.

1. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA

2. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Jan 13, 2007
    Oregon
    Not sure how you did it, but looks good. How do you like the amp?

bftfender likes this.

3. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    i cut out the sides and kept all stock parts. Was a lil harder than i thought. The amp is def better into 2x12 cabs. the stock combo, well..put it this way..all particle board..so the deadening quality kills the amps true tone. The speaker they put in it was a great choice though.I have a V type in one of my main cabs paired 30 year old greenie. The amp is very usable on both gain channels, clean is a bit weaker but i do not use clean as most do..i simply back my guitar vol down. Marshall is a dif clean than fender but it can actually be bigger and chimey when set up right..think 80's huge open ringing chords, I can go from blues to thrash in this amp and it does work at all volume. The 20 watt setting maxed out is good and then hit 40 and there it is the full marshall tone...what i like about this amp vs my others(jmp50-3203) this can pretty much cover all the marshall sounds. Not to perfection but shades of em all. Which makes for a very gigable amp in many genres. I am really struggling for which amp i gig with this next time out. It could be this one due to versatility and ease of set up. Also its pleasantly quiet and not hissing at me like the others..lol

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    No hack job there. Looks like it came from the factory that way.

Nice job.

bftfender likes this.

5. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Song 4 in the studio today with the hacked DSL head on 2 2 x12 cabs...man..i almost wrote this combo off,,,,monster as a head..recorded strait in with rhythm on od channel and used both ultra channels for boost and some nasty crunch.. life sure has done a 180..thought we were goin into record on fenders into fender amps for new cd...its all Gibson into Marshalls and wrote down all my settings...got some references...so lucky my wife had me keep my SGJ and then got this combo in Feb and now have 4 marshalls...and so much other gear is gone,way too much time was spent chasing tone when i knew better..not a knock on anything...just we all have our natural preferences which work

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Looks great.... except I'm OCD and the Marshall logo needs to come up a bit.

7. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    i used the stock baffle cut down from the top to where the speaker started so more airflow gets in cause of the circle cut. honestly i forgot to figure in the bottom 1" lip..or i might of got that right..i don't see to well so if i stand up close without my reading glasses it looks balanced..lol

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

8. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

May 20, 2016
    northern VA
    are you gonna right up how you did it? inquiring minds want to know.

9. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    will post the track when it comes back from studio, 2016 Firebird studio was used

10. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Here are pics from the head being used in recording studio ...really came out good, Used OD channel for chunky rhythm and used ultra green & red for nasty crunch and leads. This amp is really a good representation of Marshall..very very tweekable..prob will be the gig amp//so easy to set..and you do not need a pedal for anything..they got the gain worked out on this amp DSL studio.jpg DSL studio 2.jpg

11. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    recorded very well in studio, did not use as much gain as i thought..

12. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    This turned out to be one of the best gear decisions i ever made. I dialed in the classic chan like my jmp50 and set ultra for more crunch and then lead boost. Putting it on the 2 2x12 cabs just brought this thing alive. The 40 watts are perfect for my band..i dime the master and really work the presence and resonance.You can dial in very precise and tighten up and get rid of flub. I tried to make this not be true due to the other amps i own,,buts it got the last 3 songs in the studio and is way too easy to set up..and for country or blues players(i am hard rock) this thing can really hit on those tones..jammed with some buds in a loose blues jam for fun and man does it get nasty..raunchy..used p90 Lp and was impressed...but hard rock...this thing just has it goin on naturally

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.