Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Douglas Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by zxcv, Jan 10, 2009.

1. zxcv

zxcv TDPRI Member

Does anyone have any experience with a "Douglas" Telecaster? I have a chance to buy one, but hesitate to buy what asppears to be an "off brand" (at least to me).

James

2. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

I have one of the Burl Ash Top Teles, and I like it a lot. A very nice instrument for the price. They get brought up here from time to time in various SX and Rondo Music related threads, since Rondo Music is one of the few places you can get SX and Douglas Guitars. The Douglas guitars are actually manufactured by a company called Shine Guitars, or Saein Musical Instruments, who are actually a company that Epiphone, Ibanez, and Peavey contract out to make some of their guitars in either Saein's Korea or China based factories.

Here's a link with more info:
    http://www.saein.co.kr/

3. blueshawk1

blueshawk1 Tele-Meister

Yes, like he said, most (not all) Douglas guitars are made by Shine, and the Shine models are definitely nice guitars, I have this one;

[​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. B Valley

B Valley Tele-Afflicted

Rondo sells them for $129.00 to 149.00 new, so keep that in mind before you buy a used one. What's the asking price?

6. getbent

getbent Telefied

I dig mine and have bought a couple for folks for presents....

this is my heavily modified douglas... cool guitar!

[​IMG]

7. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Getbent ............. is that the one that started out like this?

......[​IMG]

8. getbent

getbent Telefied

there she be Senor Jack. My nieces still looks like that... you gotta love a 130.00 guitar with a nice wilkinson bridge on it... decent pickups, a great neck and a body that is gorgeous.... my only quibble is the 12" radius which takes a bit to get used to...

Great guitars... if I wasn't working on 3 projects right now, I'd probably be jonesing for one to tweak for a friend....

in other news, I just finished doing some spraying. I am the worst painter in history. Thank god I can solder a bit.

9. ba614

ba614 Banned

jwells .... that top is a beauty!

10. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Not mine............ it's from the Rondo Music website.

11. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

12. zxcv

zxcv TDPRI Member

B_Valley: Thanks for the heads up about Rondo. The asking price for the guitar I mentioned is $130...........I may just buy a new one.........Then I can get (hopefully) exactly what I want......James

13. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

It puzzles me that Douglas would put a nice Wilkinson bridge on the tele but make it a top loader.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied

The Wilkinsons were built for precisely that purpose (to be used either way)... nothing wrong with a top loader and putting string through is at least two additional processes... so, it keeps the cost down....

15. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

That one keeps catching my eye, too.......bet it would look good with a mint or parchment guard.

16. andrewtrucker

andrewtrucker NEW MEMBER!

dont be afraid of it or off bands sure if its a crappy guitar be afraid in the recent past ten years low priced guitars are decent . in the old days thhey werent . i have the douglas tele and its super cool for $159 wow very nice and worth it .you only need the good stuff if you are a pro. im a pro and i even like the cheap stuff especially to play out . this way you have less worries you only really need the good stuff for madison square garden in a pub this gitar rocks out

17. callasabra

callasabra TDPRI Member

18. callasabra

callasabra TDPRI Member

I have one and love it. For the price it is great. The bridge is not the greatest quality but the rest of the guitar is.
    I recommend it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.