Double Stop Chart I Made

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by JeradP, Jan 23, 2011.

1. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

This.

2. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

This should be a sticky.

3. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Shameless bump, because some folks are asking questions answered in this thread.

4. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

Glad you did. I am learning a lot.

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I am turning this one back up. I am an alright player. I used to support myself playing music. I had figured out some theory, but really I had just enough information to be a danger to myself. This thread answered a lot of things that had me chasing my tail, as well as pointing me in new directions. Thanks jbmando!

6. jbmando

There are a lot of guys on this forum who know a lot more about music than I do. I am almost entirely self-taught about this stuff and I sometimes use the wrong terminology, but I just know that if a guitar player learns just the basic information about theory that I put in this thread, he or she will start becoming a more complete player and their enjoyment of the instrument will vastly increase.

7. 4514

4514 Tele-Holic

It's true. Whenever I play out or even just jam with people, I think that the stuff jbmando posted in this thread is the MINIMUM that they should know. But out of the 2 bands that I'm in, one member fits that qualification. This guy.

If you learn the info, not only will your life get better, but so will many others'.

jbmando likes this.
  8. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

And sometimes its not just the information itself, but the perpective that is shared that makes the information exciting, or relevant. I have books and notes and scribblings of all this stuff, but it wasn't until this thread came along that I was able to carry through with applying it in any significant manner. In just a couple months, I got it! MY lap steel isn't collecting dust , and C6 is not a boring tuning anymore.

9. jbmando

Tele, that is cool. I was hoping I could put it in a way that someone could actually make use of it. I'm glad you could.

10. jbmando

Folks, (tele-rain in particular,) I haven't forgotten that I said I would make a video of this stuff, but I tried a couple and they were pretty bad. I'm still developing an idea for a video version of this material. Thanks for your patience.

11. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Now I don't like to intrude on someone else's thread with my stuff, (he said, intruding on someone else's thread with his stuff), but in between this thread being started and now recently revived, I did a little YouTube series on playing doublestop melodies, showing some of the positions for playing them, with major, dominant, and minor scales.

12. coreyman97

coreyman97 TDPRI Member

Leon, just subscribed. Really enjoyed your approach in explaining it. Thanks.

13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

And to be even more pedantic, that Bb is not scalar in C. But, if you look at G7, you get G B D F, which is scalar in C (but not in G). And G is the fifth note of the C major scale, which is also called the dominant, hence 'dominant 7th'. It's also useful to know that the dominant 7th of the fifth note of a scale very often moves to the major chord of the first note of the major scale.

So that's why you very often see G7 -> C in C major a lot.

And them my silly side kicks in, and says that power chords are double stops, mostly. (But yeah, any 2 notes at the same time.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.