Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Double Pickguard on Gibson Jumbo - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Nov 8, 2018.

Double Guard or No?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

71.9%
  3. Remove the other one too

3.1%
  1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I would never want one if I was lucky enough to own a J 200 but then again , I don’t mind some of the over-the-top pick guards the country and western singers would put on their Martin’s in the 50s.

Neil Young bought one of those guitars and you can clearly see the lighter portion wnere he removed a gigantic pick guard from some vintage Martin he bought in the late 60s.

So I dig single or double but on mine I think I would stay with single. But as long as I’m dreaming I wouldn’t have a maple back one either - dark sunburst with a rosewood back and sides and, oh yeah - make it an SJ-200 from the 40s ! :lol:

Chud likes this.
  2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I voted "no" because there wasn't a "not just no, but hell no" option.

boris bubbanov and Chud like this.
  3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Noooooooooooooooo.

Is it possible to remove the bottom one and replace it with a more attractive one?

Chud likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Both the J180 Everly Bros guitar and the J-185 on which it was based are smaller guitars than the J100/200 guitars.....the body is not as wide.

Chud likes this.
  5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I like them both but I'd run with one .

boris bubbanov and Chud like this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm not in favor of that approach, amigo, but there you are in New York City, yes?, and if you're playing for a crowd, you'll be able to spot the guitar players out there pretty much right away - they'll be staring at your guitar trying to figure out wtf?, with their arms crossed...but maybe you'll have more instant country karma that way, I don't know...

anyway, Gibson has been down that well several times - as mentioned above Ron Wood, Bobbie D and Dwight Yoakum had one too and Billie Joe Armstrong had one those "Marlo Thomas" versions as well.

I also agree with the comments on the inconsistencies, from guitar to guitar with the jumbos - but, when it's good, it's good.

Here's a photo of the BJA sig model, in the J-180 configuration:

Gibson b joe arm J-180 signature mod.jpg

Chud and tery like this.
  7. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Yup. I have a 185. Is the Everly’s that Albert Lee has not 200 sized though? Going off memory so I could be wrong about that.

Regardless, the answer to Chud is Nooooooooo!

Cheers,
    Geoff

Chud likes this.
  8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Nope. First one I ever paid attention to with double guards was Dwight Yoakum's and I think he pulled his hat down low because he was ashamed it was like that.:)

I have an early 90's J200 so I'm a bit biased towards the single guard.

Chud likes this.
  9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    You know thats gotta cut down on the top viberation.

studio1087 likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I would just play it, however it is right now.

No changes for trivial reasons. I'd probably play it as is even if that meant a LH pickguard but no righty one.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    My god, all that tort on such a pretty jumbo...
    The guard is already way too big, and then they put two on?

teletimetx likes this.
  12. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

I rarely have this strong of a reaction... but that would be a crime against humanity.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The J200 may take as long as ten or twelve years to truly open up! Some will say that the opening up procedure is humbug, but I know two people who have bought these guitars new, and it was at least 12 years before they realized their full potential. My wife's cousin in Colorado has one, and my son had one. There is not a little bit of difference it huge when it occurs. My son's guitar did not fully come into its own for thirteen years. I'd say that most of the people who have owned J-200s never kept them long enough for them to fully open up.

Chud likes this.
  14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Unless you own and wear a Nudie suit on stage I say no.

Chud likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I didn't answer the OP's question, no I wouldn't put another guard on a Gibson of any kind. It always seemed to me that in their haste to put something distinguishing on their guitars Gibson just kind of missed the mark altogether on pickguards. I had a Hummingbird that had an engraved pickguard. It was not a work of art.

Chud likes this.
  16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    The more pickguard IMHO just takes away a bit of the acoustic vibration. Two would be too much. Don't know why the Everley Bros designed the two pickguards. Jackson Browne used to play an acoustic ( don't know the brand name) but it had no pickguard so all the woods could breath, resonate and , as TD says , "open up" over time. I built a stewmac D-18 style guitar in 2004 and it is now sounding really good, you can tell a good older dried out well played guitar. So less pickguard ( I used a red tort small guard on that build- less is best). JMO

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Hahahaha!! Some awesomely funny reactions to the old double guard, and even the single guard. Lol. Thanks all!

I don’t think it’s going on, but I’ll marinate with it for a while.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    My god that is ****ing ugly... but it's not too bad...

19. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    I’m always looking for a compromise, so here it is:

Two matching pickguards, both transparent. Now everyone should be happy, and your beautiful guitar won’t be disfigured and will still sound dead, which is apparently what you want.

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Strong, totally reasonable...
    Tomayto, tomahto...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.