Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Double-Cutaway Telecaster...Love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Zumus, Jul 1, 2015.

1. FlatNine

FlatNine TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Connecticut
    No way. It's not a Tele anymore. It's like the Gibson Thinline Les Paul. Total heresy!

2. Wilson 888

Wilson 888 TDPRI Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ugh... If my son walked home with that thing, we'd have to have "the talk."

3. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2008
    In The Pines

4. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2008
    Santa Barbara

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

This thread should have came with a trigger warning.

6. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    Everything against what made me fall in love with tele's in the first place, there's something about those curves...

7. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    You know the Dos Equis guy? He gave his father "the talk"

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If I had a son and I came home with one of these, he'd Bop me on the top of the head, ala 3 Stooges.

The idea of a 2 cutaway T is controversial. If you do it, it has to be perfect. This was IMO a slap-dash 3 Stooges effort. So seldom that FMIC tolerates this kind of nyuk-nyuk goofy decision making. What kind of pressures are the guys under that they'd drop the baton this badly, I wonder?

9. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    I get the "form follows function" part but its always looked wonky to me, If I need the reach I just switch to something like my double cut duo jet.

10. '51 geezer

'51 geezer TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Obviously, if we all liked the same thing, all guitars would look alike. I don't think the guitar is ugly, in fac, it looks okay, but, I wouldn't want one. That's just 'cuz I'm a traditionalist. I want my Tele to look like a Tele. Having said that, I would not judge a picker friend for buying one. We should all play the guitar that looks, sounds, feels, and, in every other way, seems to be, the best for us.

bullfrogblues likes this.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I find it funny that a DC Tele is heresy or trying to be a Gibson, but it's perfectly fine to put Gibby and Strat pups in a Tele. Go figure.:p

PBO Blues likes this.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The funny thing is that Fender created *the* iconic doublecut, the Strat, and here they do this?!

They can still whip out some sweet looking new models, like the Pawn Shop Offset Special:

[​IMG]

13. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Why, Why? Oh the humanity!

But really the only thing I don't like is the shape of the pickguard. They should put a more stylish one on that cements it as its own model, like the Thinline. I like Boris' pickguard shape he uses on his partscasters.

14. amhildreth

amhildreth TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Rochester, NY
    So they pulled the center pickup off a Strat and called it a double-cutaway Tele? NopeNopeNope.

15. Z-Man

Z-Man TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2016
    Kansas City
    I don't think I'd go for it. But I can see others.

16. Z-Man

Z-Man TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2016
    Kansas City
    Just realized this was a 10 month old thread

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.