Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Double Bound Contoured Tele for my Sister

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DavidV, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I love binding on Teles but adding it to a front and back contoured body gets extra points! The second Tele below is bound in tortoise shell to match the scratch plate. Full of admiration for your build skills.

D891C556-AFC2-4D1C-9D38-11C9D1C9C5B8.jpeg A839312B-007C-408A-BFC6-F9A0C4096598.jpeg

2. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    Great build man! How did you apply the milk paint, with a brush? Oh... what is milk paint?!

Did you have to do many coats on it?

Cheers,

Alberto

3. DavidV

DavidV TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Springfield, MO
    Yep, I just brushed it on. Let it dry for about an hour and sanded it down then applied the second and final coat. It goes on thick so I can't see using more than 2-3 coats unless you want a perfectly uniform and level color, but then what would be the point of using milk paint? If you wanted a really rustic look you could sand it down so that only parts of the grain are colored and the harder parts of the grain are bare wood.

This stuff may not actually be authentic milk paint but it has the same effect I was going for which is just barely letting the grain show through. You'll see what I mean when I get the clear coat pictures taken. Real milk paint is a really old preservative made with milk casein, borax, and lime and looks like the paint you'd see on farmhouse furniture. It comes in powder form that you mix with water. This pre-mixed milk paint is probably closer to acrylic paint with lime in it to give that matte chalky color.

betocool likes this.

4. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    It looks awesome, that milk paint. I've tried brushing on acrylic and enamel but some grain seems to always show through, which can be frustrating. I'd like to build something like the Irish Falcon Gretsch (with less bling but same color), and that's the kind of coverage I'm aiming for.

Cheers,

Alberto

5. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I loved the grain in the wood. Was hoping against hope you wouldn't paint over it. But it's gorgeous.

6. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    Thumbs up for the dry delivery on the stew mac joke. :lol:

fordguy_85, tvvoodoo, DavidV and 2 others like this.

7. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    thats such a lovely build

DavidV likes this.

8. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    It looks great!!

DavidV likes this.

9. DavidV

DavidV TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Springfield, MO
    I thought I had taken pictures of scraping the binding but it turns out it was just these three. Nothing too involved really. I just taped a utility blade knife and carefully scraped away at the paint on the binding using my finger as a guard. The milk paint + watco lacquer were kinda chippy, it wasn't like scraping nitrocellulose. Now for many more coats of clear and winding of a neck pickup.

20180809_174249.jpg 20180809_183949.jpg 20180809_183958.jpg

tvvoodoo likes this.

10. DavidV

DavidV TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Springfield, MO
    I did debate it. The grain on the back of the guitar looks really nice but the front has some blemishes that wouldn't look too great. A medium brown dye or tobacco burst would be what I would do if it were mine. She said she wants an olive green electric though, or silverburst but i'm not doing that to a poor tele.

11. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    Yeah, the grain on the back caught my eye in one of the photos. Great work. But if you want to be a really good brother, you could build her an amp. Just sayin....

DavidV likes this.

12. DavidV

DavidV TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Springfield, MO
    I'll definitely get into amps in the near future. I just bought a nice Hakko soldering station and a bunch of components to try my hand at pedals. I know just enough about electricity to hurt myself so I'm going slow with it.

GGardner likes this.

13. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Midwest
    I LOVE POPLAR!!!! Looking great, bud!!!!

14. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.