Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Doping in Sport - how widespread?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by w3stie, Feb 7, 2013.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    This is the big news down under at the moment. I can't say I'm surprised - especially in the big money football codes. I guess the question is can they really get rid of it when such a lot of money is at stake?

2. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Jul 27, 2006
    offline and IRL
    The righteous indignation about drug-use is a red herring. Drugs in sport are a given. So much so that they should be compulsory.

But for a long-time lover of the AFL game, it's the match fixing and tanking that is so heartbreaking. I may be somewhat deluded, but I always thought that to Australians cheating was the lowest blow of all and "the fair go" was not just a phrase to throw around. It's part of what makes us different.

I think the rot set in when the bookies got involved. There's obscene amounts of money being bet on all different aspects of the game.
    From score splits to starting line-ups...
    Once big money (and organised crime looking to launder cash) starts floating around, your game is f$#ked.

It used to be a noble game. Now it's just like boxing and horse racing.

3. w3stie

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I take your point Dave, but to me betting is a mug's game anyway and I don't have much sympathy if punters are losing their shirt - clean or fixed they'd lose anyway. The big issue I see here is the doping. All the kids going to peewees and the junior leagues being taught that hard work and practice and fair play are the way to get ahead. Only for them to find out that their heros were cheating. Not good.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. macdog

macdog Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm just glad that it's not St Kilda in the middle of another off season furore.

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

"If your not cheating, you are not trying" - Mark Grace

7. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

It is absolutely everywhere.

8. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2009
    London, England
    Exactly. It'd be like asking how many corporations cheat, lie, steal and bribe. At the highest levels of competition there are no 'rules', just a series of calculated risks.

9. PrincessSlayer

PrincessSlayer TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2013
    QLD
    I think the NRL Down Under is rigged. State of Origin for years has been lenient on NSW because they are desperate to win. The Brisbane Broncos get hammered by the refs every season as do the Cowboys. It's very NSW-biased and a big part of the reason why so many tune out. It is no longer family friendly you go to a game and the only "entertainment' you get is a typical T and A show worthy of the strip clubs in Paddo.

The NRL needs to cut the filth, cut the drugs and cut the rigging.

I love my footy and I still watch but only because I love the game...and when you clearly see refs turning a blind eye to things they shouldn't and deliberately making things hard for your team it just turns you off it all. A shame it used to be so good.

Ever since the bloody TAB got involved it has been a LOT harder to pick the winners...funny that. They must think people are so stupid...it's rigged. It's corrupt. A shame...

10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    It's funny we still call them "sports"

11. w3stie

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I find it amusing that so many people seem surprised, or are expressing surprise (mainly politicians). It was pretty obvious to me that some of these NRL players were getting huge.

12. JaysRiff

JaysRiff Tele-Meister

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I need to take drugs to watch NRL

13. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

just what are peptides anyway?... what do they do?....

I'm sure sports people are using whatever they can get away with to recover from injuries, etc..... the seasons are too long and the players have little time to get over the seasons niggles....

the sports scientists/doctors are free to experiment, it seems...;)

even giving an injured player a painkiller and sending him back out on the field is something I've always thought was wrong....
    an opponent who feels no pain is going to be hard to stop.... and do more damage to himself....

my brother played footy back in the 70's and coaches were handing the speed pills out before games.... probably still do...;)

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    All depends what you call a sport .
    Doubtful that you will find doping in the motorcycle road racing world or test cricket .

15. trev333

I don't know what jockeys take... but it makes them talk funny,,,;)

16. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Not as wide spread as the abuse of auto tune in popular music!

17. trev333

it's the ads for the betting companies during games that should be taken off air... and TV announcers shouldn't be talking about the odds, etc....

there's always been side betting on sport... however it shouldn't be pushed in your face on TV ..as if it's a part of sport... pushed to the kids watching...

18. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 6, 2009
    Wales
    I reckon Linford Christie was on horse meat.

19. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Dec 26, 2010
    Fhvn ma
    Absolutely. The nfl refuses to touch the subject, MLB players can only be tested 4x per season, so after #4-game on. Everyone lance was racing against was doping. It's just everywhere.

20. macdog

macdog Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Cricketers might not take drugs but the fans need stimulants to keep them awake.

21. trev333

the most obvious use of drug doping in sports is...

in the original MASH movie... the football scene.... ;)

Hey coach.... it's my turn for the broad jump...;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.