Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Doomed ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wyzsard, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

Where's my tin foil hat again...

2. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

you baked potatoes in it tonight?...;)

no one get's out alive anyway... so yes.. we are all doomed. in a round about way.....

though not doomed like supermarket food with a use by date on the wrapper.... ;)

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I've been reading about solar flare this and solar flare that for years now, and they sound big and scary...but nothing ever happens. Nothing. That's why we have ozone and atmosphere. The earth is protected from that stuff. For a reason. Because the earth supports life.

End of story. Ok...putting tinfoil hat back on.

5. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

Probably be a cool aurora for those in the frigid climes.

6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Suggest you look up the Carrington Event. Consider the implications for our modern electronic world.

7. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Kentucky
  8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Kentucky
    Interesting bit of history there.

9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Actually they have a profound effect on anything that uses a magnetic compass. Ships, some airplanes, Boy Scouts, sub-surface vehicles like submarines and autonomously operated vehicles. Even affects GPS signals. Make sure you are looking when you make that sudden GPS turn!

10. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I'm familiar with it. Nothing happened. It was a thing observed is all. We always have aurora borealis events. There is always a slight hole in the ozone. Weather is always up and down. The sun always shoots off flares , and I do not buy for one second that they affect anything, with the possible exception of radio transmissions from satellites. Even that would be minor.

But we have so called bright people down here telling us that our grid could be knocked out by a really bad flare. Or cell reception temporarily. I'm not a believer that our grid can be affected. We are protected by our ozone.

For me at least it's an end of story thing. But...the powers that be need reasons for raising prices. That's all it is.

11. trousertele

trousertele Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2008
    CA
    What's your Above Top Secret username?

12. adifferentbreed

adifferentbreed Tele-Afflicted

Hahaha.......ATS, I got booted from there last year, thought I was the only one on here.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
  14. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Re-study. "Nothing happened" because it was in 1859. The most advanced electrical device of the time was the telegraph, and they were seriously messed with. Currents were set up in railroad tracks that were sufficient enough to cause fires. Telegraphers recieved serious shocks and electrical burns. Ticker tapes were set on fire. Telegraphs were able to transmit and receive to and from each other after being disconnected from their batteries.
    A similar event today would destroy every unshielded non-tube based electronic device on the planet; even if it was not turned on or even plugged in. All that would be required to set up a destructive flux is a non-zero length cunductive connection. Transformers all over the world (including the big ones that already have years long waiting lists for replacement), would be fried. Basically picture the entire planet returned to the 19th century, and requiring years, maybe decades, to recover. Not a happy prospect. Remember the Northeastern blackout back in the winter of 1990? That was caused by a rather minor solar flare.

15. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

May 30, 2012
    Canada
    I have been through a few electric grid failures in my life. It's hard on city folks.
    Yes it will happen again. So will a lot of other natural events. Worrying about it serves no useful purpose.

16. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL
    I just read NASA's recounting of the Carrington Event. In talking about possible effects of a similar event today, they use the terms "might" and "could". That's substantially different than "would".

17. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

May 25, 2009
    Durham, NC
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Wow, it didn't take long after the Mayan calender thing for another doomsday routine to get goin'.

19. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL
    Gotta have something to fret about. (HA! Fret about...get it?.....ummmm, never mind.....)

20. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2011
    Baltimore
    I just hope I don't see myself when I go back in time to give myself the answers to that math test I failed in the third grade. Then we'd really have problems.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.