Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Don't Understand The Heat In My Apartment

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Jan 7, 2017.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    I've been reading up on the closing the valve thing. Most places are saying it should be either all open or all closed, not in between. All open is preferred to prevent air in the vents. A few places I read said to leave the valve open always, but to turn the air valve upside down to prevent heat coming up. I can't get that thing to budge and don't want to force it, so I'm not sure it that'll work. They all say open windows is the way to deal with too much heat when valves are open...however plenty of times I have had to open the window with the valve closed! I'm not a fan of too much heat, I need air. Of course this weekend was karma kicking me a good one I guess. In any case, I will probably still have to turn the valve off, but I'll be sure to keep it on for these super cold days.

As to the humidifier, I actually bought one of those today too. But I got then warm misting kind. Is gone up slightly in the room from 29% to 31%. I'm going to move it to my bedroom to sleep with because I have been getting crazy dry throat issues, obviously.

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    27% is too low. I've always thought that 40-60% was ideal for guitars, but some people say 45-55%.

Too bad you already got that little fan heater. Those things dry out the air even more, and they're loud, although some are worse than others.

For those who need to heat a small space such as a single room, I recommend an oil filled electric heater with a built in thermostat. Totally silent, and you'll have more control over the room temperature. You can also drape wet towels over it to increase the humidity without being a fire hazard.

Any type of electric heater, whether a hair dryer, a toaster, or a space heater, is going to pull a lot of amps. Do NOT use a power strip of any kind. They can catch fire.

Sounds to me like your radiators have air bubbles in them, or something similar. Once they "burp" the lines, your heat should be back in business.

Hopefully you'll be able to return that little fan heater!

3. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    EDITING AGAIN BECAUSE NOW THE PIPES ARE HOT AND THE RADIATORS ARE GETTING THERE TOO! At least two out of the 3 of them, and the riser in the bathroom is hot. PHEW.

EDITING TO ADD I WAS WRONG:

I just heard one tenant knock on the neighbors door, she said she's with the super, he was showing her how to use the heater, and her lights went out. So apparently this heating issue is building wide. And now if most apartments are using electric heaters...that can't be good. I'm getting some clothes together to see if I can crash by my sister's in SI tonight and maybe tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------
    I was hoping to come home to a toasty apartment tonight, but no suck luck! I walked in and felt the familiar chill, and immediately walked over to my thermostat. Somehow it's now as low as 64!!! It wasn't that low during the weekend. However, I do feel the pipes are warm on 2 of the risers that were previously cold all weekend.

I kept looking for clues if he was here, and the valve on the radiator looked new. I went over and gave it a small turn, and it moved a bit, so that says he either replaced it, or was able to make it budge (where I could not yesterday). So he must have "bled" he pipes, as many of the comments above were stating. I'm also noticing NO hissing at all, which is weird. I've gotten used to the hissing sounds, knowing that the nice warm steam would soon fill the space. But I'm guesisng it's supposed to be quiet?

Still not 100% sure, I happened to notice there is a new smoke detector on the wall, so he clearly replaced/updated that. Now I knoe was here, phew! BUT...why is it so dang cold still? My guess is that either, once the pipes are fixed, it still takes a long time for everything to heat up properly. Also, I have no idea what time he was here. He super said he was coming 10 or 11am, but for all I know he could have just left an hour ago. And maybe even he had to open a window while he was de-steaming the radiators, hence why it feels colder than it has been?

Anyway, I'll wait it out a few hours and see if it warms up. Please let me know if my assumptions above seem correct.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2016
    Sthlm, Sweden
    The radiators should get warm pretty quickly I'd guess?

6. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    A NEW DAY.

Guys, i'm not stupid. I've given the benefit of the doubt with this situation. But I suspect there is nothing "wrong" with the heat. It's not all all a coincidence that starting January 1 2017, a 3.5% increase went into effect on the city's water bill. The landlord has mentioned a few times over the years about increases to water, and thats' what prompted my rent increase last year. Sure, it was only $15 on an already rent, I was grateful. Still, I'm finding this all TOO coincidential. The heat works only sometimes on and off. Not staying warm enough, but JUST barely staying in the 60s, which is just barely enough to be legal. The fact that it comes up periodically rather than not at all leads me to beleive it's just not set high enough, because he's giving the bare minimum to the building to save money.

This is it, my sign. I've been debating whether or not to renew in February. I've been wanting to move closer to my friends and family just a bridge away in Staten Island. My commute will suck again, but I will have more of a social life with getting together with friends and family.

I still have no response from the super that I texted last night about it still being cold. Nor has the landlord replied to my email that I sent later last night. I will give him more time on that today, but my next email to him is going to be that I want to only renew for a month or two if possible, because I am actively looking for a new place. Maybe I'm being a whiner about all of this, plenty of people deal with much worse conditions because tehy have no choice. I however, do not want to suffer through the rest of this winter like this. And if it ends up that I have to stay one more year, I'm definitely out of here by next.

7. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY
    Texts and emails will be ignored. Call them directly. Tell them there is NO HEAT. Tell them YOU NEED HEAT RIGHT NOW. I lived in the East Village for many years and organized very successful rent strikes due to situations like this. Don't be timid because you have inexpensive rent.

8. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    AHHHH FINALLY!!!

Came home just now to all the radiators and pipes equally warm/hot and this wonderful number. I hope this means it's fixed for good! Or at least until next winter when I will maybe have a better plan of action as to whether to stay or go.

[​IMG]

9. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm glad your heat is working. It's cold out there.

Do those hot water systems really use a lot of water? Is what you have different than a hot water system?

10. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    I really have no clue what type of system it is. I keep trying to research the difference between steam heat and hot water heat, but all the info on both seems to apply to my system. What I do know, is there is one pipe that it's attached to, which I now know is called a riser and now that it's been working since I've been home from work tonight, it has been much quieter. It used to do all this hissing and sputtering, which after research and comments here, I know means it needed to be bled. I'm assuming that's what the landlord did to fix it. Also, I'm trying to determine the best action for when it does get too hot in here. Opening the window is obvious, but not feasible when sleeping sometimes, and i feel it's wasting energy. Closing the valve used to be my option, but I keep reading that is what tosses the system off balance. Still, am I to assume in a building of 20 apartments and however many residents, everyone's going to play by the rules and not turn the valve on and off as they seem fit? I don't think so.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Leave that valve alone. Open window as needed. Part of the charm of an old building with radiators and central thermostat ...

I honestly doubt too many other people play with that valve and turn their rads off. Could be wrong I guess.

tele-rain likes this.
  12. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    After my experience these last few days, I'm going to do exactly that!

13. william tele

william tele Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Rain, if it were my apartment I'd buy cheap moving blankets from Harbor Freight. Google. They're cheap. If it got unbearable I'd just throw a blanket or two over the radiator. Seriously...that's what I'd do.

Edit - As an added plus I'd probably fill a pan with water and soak those blankets now and then.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 1:33 AM
  14. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Ah interesting, That is a great idea! see these on Amazon. I'd only need 3 of course but the others are mostly packs of 12.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...g+blankets&dpPl=1&dpID=41shpO0RUlL&ref=plSrch

I also saw fabric ones somewhere during my searching over the last few days, it was literally like a hat that fit over the radiator. But my searches now are only showing the aluminum type covers and similar. Those are pricey. I will keep searching, but these moving blankets seem the best fix! And I assume you mean wetting them adds moisture to the air and helps with the dry humidity, right!?

15. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Ok I broke down and closed the valves in 2 of the rooms that I can. I'm sorry, boiler system. But that worked fine for 4 years. I'm hoping it will take another 4 before it konks out again.

[​IMG]

16. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Those old steam radiator systems are clunky and dangerous. Even when brand new they were dangerous, now they are old and the knowledge of how to properly maintain them is getting harder to find. I recently read about a baby that died because a radiator burst in her room near her crib. Probably covered in old lead paint as well.....no place for a kid.

Being a homeowner is no picnic either, but as a home owner I certainly feel much more in control of these kinds of things, rather than at the mercy of the landlord/super/rental management company.

17. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I guess my point in asking goes back to the suspicions that the low heat was related to the increase in water fees. Hot water or steam, I don't think either uses/loses a lot of water. Of course, I could be wrong.

18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    Nice place & btw,love the record collection. Why can't I find a gal such as you??? ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.