Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Don't Be A Dumb*** Like Me

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by castpolymer, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Yesterday after my guitar lesson I went up to my shop to spray a couple of bodies. I needed to mount a couple of wood hanging blocks on the neck pockets so the necks could be hung to dry. Instead of piloting the hole and then putting the screw into the block, I decided to save time and just put the screw straight into the wood block. The block cracked, the drill slipped and I essentially impaled my fret hand index finger with a phillips head bit. The phillips head part of the bit was about halfway in my finger when I pulled it out. Just before it started bleeding, as I was pulling it out, I though I saw some white ( I hope to heck it wasn't the bone ). It bled for hours ( and I am a clotting god ). I got so tired of putting on new gauze pads that I just used a cotton cloth and duct tape to hold it in place until bedtime. My finger is now swelled up like a summer sausage and goes from dead numb to hurting like crazy. After a night of ice, anti - inflammatory pills by the fistfull and bandaging, this is what I am left with. If I don't lose the nail I will be very lucky. Folks, Red Foreman is right. Bad things do happen to dumbasses. Don't be a dumbass like me. Someday I will tell the story of trying to use my dad's Ka-Bar to cut a cardboard box when I was a teen. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Ouch! I hope it heals quickly.

It's amazing what can happen in a flash. We've all been there in one way or another.

Sorry about the stress.
  3. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Yep it seems every time I try to "save a little time" something bad happens. Speedy recovery thoughts
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

Apr 23, 2008
    :eek: Your scare tactics won't work. I'm going to continue to make guitars no matter how dangerous you try yo make it seem. :lol:
  6. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Dude, that is just plain funny.
  7. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Weird how fingers seem to be more painful than other parts of the body when injured. I guess because there are lots of nerve endings there. Maybe play it safe and get a tetanus shot.

Looks like a good opportunity to take a week off for vacation.
  8. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Yep, cutting corners means cutting fingers> for me anyhow! Your not the only dumbass!!
  9. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2007
    When I was a child i used to like to catch little creatures. This ranged from toads to bugs. One time I took a jar and I needed to punch holes in the lid for air. I used an ice pick to do so. I was stabbing away putting these holes in, while holding the jar still with my left hand. I totally missed my mark and the ice pick went about a quarter to third an inch in that part of the hand between the thumb and index finger. The really fleshy part. Despite being only about 8 years old I didn't start crying like crazy. Not because of me being tough, but more so I was in shock of what I just saw, plus it really was not painful (Maybe there aren't a lot of nerves there?) I yanked the ice pick out and hardly any blood came out. Then continued putting more holes in.
  10. Dogface

Dogface Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2003
    Too late. I already have been. Whenever I get hurt by a tool it's because I do something I know better than to do, usually in a hurry.
  11. camatillo

camatillo Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2010
    At the Shore
    Did exactly that myself. Different method of mistake though,,, was driving screw up into counter top,screw snapped in two, no pilot hole, drove the Phillips bit right into the meat of my LH palm , below the thumb. Bled like hell, hurt a lot. One suggestion,, if still within the 48 hr window, submerge hand in ice water as long as you can stand it, repeatedly. will cut down on swelling and nerve damage due to it. Sorry you are in pain, it does make a great party story for a few days though,, lol,,, of course ya gotta blame it on defective wood,,,,,,,,,,,
  12. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    Ouch! Been there, done that, got the scars. Here's some good news, according to my buddy who works for the county morgue, the white you see when you do this type of thing is probably fat cells, not bone.
  13. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Ouch! that made me cringe. I hope you heel quickly and don't lose much guitar time.
  14. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    I slipped with a sharp chisel the other day, right to the bone left hand index finger...

castpolymer, maybe time for a tetanus shot
  15. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2008
    Twin Cities,MN
    I did the same thing driving a 3" screw into an old petrified wood floor joist.

I was using the impact driver so I also got a couple of rat-a-tat's after the initial impact. Hurt like he11, and looked very similiar to your wound.
  16. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2005
    Orange County, NY
    Haven't you always wanted to play like Django? Now's your chance.....
  17. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    A good time to learn slide...
  18. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    OUCH! Been there, done that, numerous times. Last time I split the tip of my left thumb wide open with a Phillips bit. Duct tape is a great emergency bandage. Also good to use over a regular bandage to give you some extra protection if you need to work with your hands, but will keep all air out so don't leave it on all day. Hopefully there's no permanent nerve damage, My thumb healed back fine with no numbness, but a deep slice on the side my left middle finger is still numb, 3 years later.
  19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire

May 9, 2005
    "Clotting God" would be an excellent user name.
  20. Bluej58

Bluej58 Tele-Holic

Nov 23, 2008
    Marseilles, Ill USA
    Watch the veins on your arm and compare it to your other arm , just in case
  21. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    I've done several things like that when I was much younger.

I was washing a serrated knife with a green pad and ran my finger down the sharp edge. A bit later, I was creating starting holes in the dash of my '74 Nova so I could mount a, either a cassette player or a CB, and using a lock blade when it unlocked and closed on the same finger. That went to the bone.

I've had friends lose fingertips on a tablesaw because they didn't use a push board and friends lose up to the first knuckle because they were cleaning the chain on the motorcycle (in the wrong direction) and get caught between the chain and sprocket.

I was stuck up in Alaska with a flat on my bike. A guy in a truck had stopped to help and we were able to get the front wheel up but couldn't get the underbody past the edge. I'm standing there holding the bike on a 2x6 and I asked if he had a jack. Maybe we could put the jack under the 2x6 and raise it up just enough to get the bike on the truck. As he's getting the jack, I'm thinking "how could this go wrong?" "How would this look on YouTube?" :lol: I stopped him and left the bike, getting a ride back to Fairbanks.

So I'm learning from others :)

I agree with the others. If you haven't had a tetnus shot recently, you might want to get one. I'm a computer professional, you play guitar. Our fingers are our instruments.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.