Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Donlis Pickups... These guys are listening to our feedback.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by awasson, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    My nickel silver cover and base plate humbucker order finally arrived. They look pretty decent at first glance. I'll do a thorough review of them.

mroll, CFFF, LowThudd and 1 other person like this.

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Glad to hear it. I was pretty sure things were just being held up in the mail because of the time of the year.

How long ago did you order and did you go with free shipping or the ePacket? I'm certain that I'd have them by now if I had just taken the slow free shipping via Air China.

3. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    ePacket, shipment date was November 6th. They really need an quicker mailing option. I can things from Japan in three days.

4. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Notice they have a disclaimer for the K's & H's?

That makes for a pretty vague "you'll get what we send you" purchase.

5. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Yeah I treat everything direct from China as a mystery grab bag of cheap goods. Donlis has its risk factor, not nearly as risky as the other brand called "FLEOR". The truth is though, I installed a sub 2 henry Strat set from China, because it's weird, and I have enough Strats that I can afford to put a weird set of pickups into one of them, just for fun. I don't believe there is a domestic winder in the U.S. who offers a set that under wound.

They also appear to source their AlNiCo from different foundries than U.S. makers, so you get end up with Chinese AlNiCo that has unusual properties. For example, I had a Strat set that measured about 10% more flux strength, and a lower inductance given the DC resistance, which suggests it must have had a higher coercivity than the AlNiCo pole pieces we see in most domestic Strat sets.

The DS53 set is great though. There hasn't been another fiber bobbin AlNiCo set to come along, AFAIK. If anyone owns a Strat, they should buy a set of the DS53's, even if they have no immediate desire to swap pickups.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Felino and LowThudd like this.

6. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Cool. I should be getting mine in a week or so. I ordered mine mid November.

I agree. The mail time seems excessive.

7. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Thinking about swapping out some ceramic humbucker magnets for Alnico. Do you think Donlis is the best place to get them from?

8. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Off the top of my head I'd say no, for the simple fact that magnets are rather cheap to begin with, and it's been taking several weeks to receive goods from China. addictionfx sells over ebay, and I think I got the magnets in about a week when I ordered from them. I'm willing to wait a month to save $50 or more, but I wouldn't wait that long to save less than five dollars.

LowThudd likes this.

9. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

Thanks. Addictionfx prices are decent. Thinking about getting rough magnets, to be close to PAFs. What is the difference with Un-oriented sound wise?

10. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    It's been a while since I did a personal sound test with different magnets, but the "UOA5" is basically a cross between AlNiCo 5 and the lower grade AlNiCo's 2, 3 and 4, both in it's magnetic properties and how it performs in a pickup (which is one and the same), it will definitely produce a weaker magnetic field, but I'd need to see a spec sheet to know more specifically than that. I googled it, but nothing came right up. In any event, it's somewhere in between A5 and the lower grades.

LowThudd likes this.

11. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I think this is normal for pickup manufacturers. To consider: Each pickup might have a difference of plus or minus a small percentage of the given value in the description. More to consider: I have two meters and they will give a slightly different measurement of the same pickup. Also, I can measure a pickup one day and the next day get a slightly different value. I think temperature makes a difference.

All of my Donlis pickups measured on point or very close.

Disclaimer: My meters were cheap :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    bender66 likes this.

12. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Pleased to see you finally got them. Looking forward to reading your assessment.

13. mroll

mroll TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Laguna Woods, CA
    Good to hear. Looking forward to your review. Mine have been in the US since Dec. 9 when they showed up at my local post office where they were supposed to be forwarded to a new address. Now USPS can't find them. I have to say Donliss has been great about this, even extending the closing date on my order, even though the delay had nothing to do with them. Just bought something else through Aliexpress on Dec. 29 and it came today. Go figure.

14. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    My order from 12/8 still hasnt arrived yet. I've received several orders from other AE stores that were ordered after the donlis order. Argh.

15. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well hang in there... My order arrived this afternoon! All is well and I'll be checking out those Telecaster pickups @Antigua Tele reviewed a while back.

I got the DTN51 Alnico 5 neck pickup and the DTB23 Alnico 2 bridge pickup. I chose the A2 bridge because I didn't want a super bright bridge and as suggested in the review, the loaded resonant peak of the DTB23 is 500kHz lower than the DTB52.

I'm still thinking my package was hanging out in customs all that time. The Canada Post tracking thing showed "International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada" since November 29th and still had that message yesterday. Today it shows "Delivered". Obviously that is way beyond the control of the folks at Donlis.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    CFFF likes this.

16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Has anyone tried the Donlis DMS53 Strat pickups? They have A5 mags on the low strings, A2 mags on the high strings.

CFFF likes this.

17. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I have not seen these before. Do you have a link?

18. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Found it https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ckup-vintage-flatwork/204043_32838463110.html

Pretty clearly they're cloning Seymour Duncan's Five Two Strat. This looks pretty awesome, it's using the same appointments as the DS53. A set of Seymour Duncan Five Two Strat's costs $200, this is $45... I can't quit Donlis. The double creams I reviewed last year were clones of the Seymour Duncan 4 conductor '59, except with a brass base plate, so it seems they consider them the ones to emulate. They have some DiMarzio knock offs too, but not being a fan of high output pickups I haven't looked too closely.

Some might say it's unpatriotic to buy Chinese clones of American products, but manufacturing pickups in the U.S. doesn't seem to be economically efficient. Should I be supporting inefficiency, just because? Why not just donate the difference to a charitable cause? Currently the domestic market is much more vast and varied, but that's changing at a rapid pace.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Felino, CFFF, awasson and 1 other person like this.

19. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I was looking earlier but could not locate them. Well done finding them. So the correct model is DSM53 :) I am at the SD website. Bridge DCR 6.6. Donlis Bridge DCR 7.2. So quite a différence there. Neck and Middle are similar.

I think we could do the same with double coils if with cut two different magnets in half and mixed them up. Might try that. I guess it has been done before.

Those double creams are fantastic.

Thank you for the alert @archetype

20. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Yeah the DC resistances are not as identical as the double creams and the '59's, but they're both within the "hot" 42 AWG category, I don't think the difference between them is probably too meaningful. The DC resistance is also a crude measure, the real question is how close the inductances are. If never tested the SD Five Two so I can't speak to that. The L value Donlis provides look very believable:

Neck: 6.4K 2.9H 52MM string spacing

Middle: 6.4K 2.9H 52mm string spacing

Bridge: 7.2K 3.4H 52mm string spacing

These would be bolder sounding Strat pickups, a bit hotter than Texas Specials. I'm curious how the AlNiCo 2 over the higher pitched strings might effect the tone, if at all. I came close to buying the Seymour Duncan set, but never pulled the trigger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.