Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Donlis Pickups... These guys are listening to our feedback.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by awasson, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA

3. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    If you have a link, I can probably pass some judgement on them.

4. swampash

swampash TDPRI Member

May 12, 2003
    LowThudd likes this.

5. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

6. mroll

mroll TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Laguna Woods, CA
    Still waiting for my Donlis A2 humbuckers with nickel baseplate and cover. Ordered them November 8 and they didn't leave China until Dec. 2 (no fault of Donlis, they were stuck in the sorting center). Then, USPS held them up from delivering due to a forwarding order I had placed for the holidays, even though they could have delivered them 3 days before the order took effect on Dec. 12. Still haven't received them at the forwarded address, which is only 500 miles away. If I ever get them, I'm interested to see how they compare to my Tone Emporium pickups, which are very similar to GFS and Tonerider ones I've tried.

7. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Still waiting for mine too... ordered mid-November and left China 29th of November. Sitting somewhere in Customs is my bet.

8. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    None of us appear to have got the nickel silver base plate HB's, despite receiving other Donlis products in the mean time. I don't think we're ever going to see these pickups. Maybe they bought shipping slips but never had anything to affix them to.

9. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s odd...

I didn’t order the humbuckers with nickel silver plate and covers. I ordered a couple of additional covers and the Telecaster pickups that you reviewed earlier in the year. I have ordered and received the covers in the past so I know those aren’t vapourware and several people have ordered the Telecaster pickups, so they should be readily available too. According to the tracking they’re somewhere in Canada but that hasn’t changed in a month either. Hopefully they’ll be here in a week or two.

10. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    Congratulations, I did an experiment using a $99.99 squier mini-strat. I put in different pickups and it sounds great.

CFFF likes this.

11. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm still stoked at my strat pickups.. a friend is installing his tele pickups into his Squier soon..If that goes as well as I think it will, I might be replacing the Texas specials in my partscaster soon after

awasson likes this.

12. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    The nickel silver baseplates do exist. I got some back in January 2017. I posted something about them here somewhere.

One of my orders took a very long time to reach me because of issues with local post. When they finally attempted to deliver them I was away and unable to sign for them so they left a collect-ticket. My postal service will hold parcels for two weeks and then they send them back. Donlis were very understanding. I paid just shipping and they resent my order. Good company.

[​IMG]

awasson likes this.

13. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Nice! I think @Antigua Tele is talking about the new ones with a nickel silver base and nickel silver covers. I’m pretty sure those just came out in October or November.

As far as shipping goes, mine appear to be in transit, somewhere in Canada according to the Canada Post tracking system. I ordered mine with the tracked ePacket service. It says Canada Post has received them but it said that a month ago. My guess is that they’re stuck in customs in the Canada Post area.

CFFF likes this.

14. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Thank you for the correction. A few people seem to be waiting for their pickups even though they were seemingly dispatched in good time. I hope that they, and yourself receive them soon!

Returning to the subject of Donlis listening to feedback. I would like to see Donlis add more models to the humbucker range. At the moment they have ceramics and alnicos but with mostly similar DC values + higher output bridge combinations. Some variation would be welcome.

awasson likes this.

15. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    i am wondering some things about the DS53 set.
    there are some things i don't like, ore don't understand the influence about it.
    1 i don't like cloth-wire, why should i prefer it above normal wire
    2 fiber ore plastic bobin
    3 why not flat polepieces, i realy don't like the sunk B pole, could live with the a higher D/G pole.
    maybe some could enlighten me about this?

16. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    1. Tradition... plus you can 'push back' the cloth to solder the wire rather than strip it.
    2. Tradition... plus a plastic bobbin needs less work to make and is cheaper.
    3. Tradition... plus that pole-piece stagger gave even output across the available string in the 1950s, which included a wound 3rd and 7½" radius fingerboards.

17. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Atlanta
    I ordered a hot Tele pickup and a few other things on 12/08, still waiting. This is the third time I've ordered from them and the first two times shipping was a lot faster. The best I can determine is the order was still in China on 12/17.

I put a pair of their gold covered humbuckers in a guitar, 7.5k neck and 15k bridge, man they sound good.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

18. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    i suspected these answers, thank you for confirming it., maybe when i might pull the trigger i ask them to chance a set.
    a DS52 looks like what i want, but has other Ohm and Henry specs and i am thinking about changing the bridge pup for a p90
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Free...0-soap-bar-guitar-pickup-for/32817067244.html

19. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Here is some research @Antigua Tele did on both those sets to help:

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7851/donlis-ds51-analysis-reivew

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7848/donlis-ds53-analysis-review

EDIT: my mistake. He did review the DS51& DS53. I’m not familiar with the DS52.

20. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    The DS52 appears to be the DS51 with flat pole pieces. The specs they listed for the DS51 are the same as the DS52, and those specs diverged from what I and someone else received http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/donlis-ds51-only-24-set.424726/ , in that the neck and middle were about 300k lower than listed.

I also just noticed they list 4 henries inductance per pickup, that's fairly off the mark, too. The inductance I read for the neck and middle was less than 2 henries, so these things are brighter than CS 69's. The bridge pickup was 2.2H, which right about where a CS 69 is at. The bridge is also 52mm space, so if at all possible, it would make the most sense to just buy three bridge pickups and use that for the full set of three.

Felino and awasson like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.