Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Donlis Pickups... These guys are listening to our feedback.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by awasson, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Donlis is essentially equivelent to GFS. Tonerider and BYO are a step up, with BYO being particularly "boutique" with even lower prices than Tonerider. BYO is the one to beat.

When it comes to how they'll sound, as long as the pickup in question doesn't have a brass cover, it's all the same, with the difference being how you feel about the particular electrical values spec'd for a given pickup. A lot of guitarists will say a pickup is high or low quality based on what they hear, when in truth it's wholly a reflection of their personal preferences.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    bender66, CFFF and awasson like this.

2. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Re Toneriders .I had a Paulwonia strat loaded with two Tone Rider A2 humbuckers and still have a Gibson Midtown with a2 Burstbuckers and I found them very similar considering .

3. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’ve got a set of Donlis A2 uncovered Cream PAF’s in a 1981 Solid body Ibanez, set neck, mahogany with carved maple cap guitar (like a Les Paul with double cutaways). I’ve had a Dimarzio Super Distortion in that guitar and an uncovered OEM Super 58 (AlNiCo 4 if I recall correctly). The Donlis are easily as good but to be honest I think they are much better.

I’ve still got some testing to do on the A5’s I’ve got in my semi-hollow body. So far I like them but I need to swap the covers out for the nickel covers I have on order.

It’s all opinions though so it really depends on what the listener likes. I like them and find the ones I’ve tried perform way above their cost.

4. swampash

swampash TDPRI Member

May 12, 2003
    I feel good at $44 a set including shipping. BYO Blizzard 59 Vintage PAF set with nickel covers are $90 shipped to me in the US. It's worth the experiment. Thanks for all the help.

5. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I have had good luck with Guitar Heads and Dragonfire HBs, which as far as I know are Artect pickups. I don't have any with a PAF bridge though. All mine are over wound bridges from 15k to 18k. They can get a little driven and bright on the bridge, but much better than the ceramics I have had. I actually was just finishing installing a set in a PRS copy with rosewood tops, and finally got the height right, and I think they are decent pickups for what I paid a few years ago(which was a lot cheaper than now). The gold covered Dragonfires I really like, but it is a hot bridge..

6. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    So far (having tried the mini humbucker, a single strat pickup and the firebird) I'd say they teamed up with tonerider to sneak into the dimarzio/Duncan dominated territory of the market. The build quality of both is comparable to the " better" brands and in terms of tonality and overall character they deliver what you'd expect them to.
    GFS OTOH (no experience with irongear) always felt like there is still a lot of room for improvement. Also, I once ordered two of their fat body neck pickups and they differed a lot in output and construction quality.
    But that's just my experience.

awasson likes this.

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    My DS53's arrived this afternoon, making the shipping time 20 days.

Not bad.

8590C13E-6BAA-486E-AAB8-76F0D91E6BDF.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    awasson likes this.

8. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s pretty darn good!

I foolishly opted for the paid for E-packet and it’s been just over a month. The free shipping has come in between 25-30 days on the other purchases I’ve made. Next time I’m going with free shipping again.

9. swampash

swampash TDPRI Member

May 12, 2003
    Hope mine come as soon. Check out this link/youtube on Chinese magnets/alnico.

Interesting read.

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Interesting, but I didn't see where he said which was magnet A and which was magnet B. A seemed to have a mid scoop compared to B. But which is his and which is vintage? lol

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I got my Music Lilly SSS Alnico 5 6.4-6.7k pickups today that I bought off eBay. These pickups got frequent flyer miles by shipping from China, to New York, to Germany, and back to New York again to arrive in CA in two weeks. Wow!

Still need a couple parts for the guitar before I install them.

12. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I hope you're going to plant a tree to off-set your pickups' carbon footprint!:)

CFFF likes this.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    LOL. Well, DHL should anyway. I have no idea why they went to Germany TWICE, to go through NY to get to Cali.

And they ended up not being the ones I ordered also. But these may work well. I just wanted a set that matched whatI have in my Strat 6.4k-6.7k.

These read b6.2k, m5.4k, n5.7k. They actually might be better balanced though. Well see. I still need a new bridge and two tuners to complete the rebuild of the OLP.

CFFF likes this.

14. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Musiclilly gave me half off. So, sweet deal at $7.77 for a set of strat pups. Even though they are not exactly what I ordered, at least the seller was honest.

CFFF and awasson like this.

15. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2014
    Ontario
    Good idea, you can use the wood to make a guitar...

grooveiron likes this.

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    my DS53's clock in at

6.44 neck
    6.4 middle
    7.09 bridge

south, north (middle), south polarities

LowThudd likes this.

17. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I may have to try a set. I still have some Dragonfire active SSS that I need to put in a guitar. Guess I need another strat. lol

18. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s about the same as mine.

19. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Anyone have any experience with sending them a message?

I messaged them about Gold colored Nickel silver Alnico 2 HBs. I see they are out of Alnico 2 pups with nickel silver covers, but they do have tele neck pickup covers which are nickel silver gold colored.

20. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Where do I order and find a catalogue for Donlis again?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.