Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Donlis Pickups... These guys are listening to our feedback.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by awasson, Nov 4, 2017.

1. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    So, since I already have a neck and middle pickup(AlNico) that I like, I decided just to buy the 9.0K bridge pickup. Got a $4 coupon for signing up, so I ended up getting some of their dark amber speed knobs basically for free(I needed to spend $20 to use the coupon). They look decent in the pics.

kilbey and CFFF like this.

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well, I just ordered a set of Tele Pickups as reviewed here (can always use another set right??):
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/donlis-telecaster-pickups-analysis-and-review.734657/

* I ordered the A2 version of the bridge.

I also ordered two sets of the nickel finished nickel silver covers for my humbuckers. I messaged them and was told they should be in today. Order the Chrome Nickel Silver cover and request the nickel finish.

I also ordered a mint green trem cover for my Strat to match the pickguards I bought back in January.

CFFF likes this.

3. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just threw in a set of the A5s into my 2009 mexi strat..i think the stock pickups were ceramics? Anyway, these $30 babies are a definite upgrade, i think they outshine the Texas Specials in my partscaster..Very impressed!

Edit: just discovered that the stock pickups were custom 69s.. they sounded a bit too thin and glassy to me, these Donlis are definitely beefy!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    CFFF, Felino, awasson and 1 other person like this.

4. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Have there been any reviews or analysis of Donlis P-90 and P-94 pickups?

5. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    Given what @Antigua Tele has taught us about the use of nickel silver as opposed to brass covers, it's frustrating to see that Donlis sell nickel silver covers for humbuckers, but not for single coils.

Felino likes this.

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I've just taken delivery of a Vanson Alnico II bridge humbucker (here) for the princely sum of £17 and it has exactly the same spec and appearence as the Donlis AII 'bucker. I got the zebra one and it has a brass baseplate. Pretty much the same price as the Aliexpress one... and it got here in two days.
    Result!

I'll be fitting it in the next few days - just waiting for another part to arrive.

7. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well, it’s probably because nobody has asked them for nickel silver covers for the Tele neck pickup.

A year ago or so, I asked them if they had them for a set of their humbuckers I had purchased and they did but they were never advertised them. Shortly thereafter they were listing them in their online catalogue. It’s just recently that they’ve updated their lineup of humbucking pickups to include nickel silver covered pickups.

8. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    All you can ask of a company is that they're listening to feedback and acting on it. I wonder - if they received an email or two requesting nickel silver covers and mentioning the fact the advice comes from someone they refer to in their banner...

I may just do that.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017

9. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    It's not entirely common knowledge that nickel silver is technically better. A lot of pickup makers use it for vintage correctness, or just because the customer demands it. For example, Seymour Duncan uses nickel silver for their PAF types, but brass for their Tele neck pickups, to be true to 50's era Tele pickups (but then uses brass for their non-vintage Tele neck pickups also), so it seems they're more interested in vintage correctness and less concerned about the benefits of nickel silver. The bode plots which both demonstrate and quantify the eddy current losses used to require expensive equipment often found at Universities, and it's just in the past few years that low cost versions have come on to the market for at home hobbyists, so even though this information is not new, the availability of it is rather new.

CFFF likes this.

10. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    It’s worth a shot. They have a chat/message thing on their storefront and I’ve always received an answer within a day from them. I just bought a set of their Telecaster pickups and another set of nickel humbucker covers... I didn’t even think to ask about nickel covers for the Tele neck pickup.

I opted out of the free shipping and went with the ePacket shipping. I figured this close to Christmas, it’s worth it to get the delivery faster. Usually the free shipping is just under a month to arrive at my location, ePacket should be 2to 3 weeks.

CFFF likes this.

11. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    Worth a shot indeed! Last night, I sent a short email enquiring about them and I received a response...

We are making Tele guitar neck pickup with nickel silver cover, it takes about 6 weeks to get them finished. But no plan for ST pickup yet.

Some LP pickups with nickel silver cover and baseplates are available now, I guess you saw them on our store already.

Regards,

Fenny

Their Brownie points continue to accumulate! They may have had previous requests, or are actively seeking out higher price point pickups, Toneriders, for example which use nickel silver. One of the oddities of their store, is that up to now, despite the vast range of Strat and Humbucker pickups available, they've only got one Telecaster neck model. The wide range of Strat and Les Paul pickups tells the story of how dominant they are in the market, compared to Teles.

richiek65, Felino, CFFF and 1 other person like this.

12. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've got a pair of Vanson humbuckers which sound good, but I think they must come from a different supplier than the Donlis pickups. There are a couple of small visible differences like the baseplate, lack of a keeper bar etc. There's an eBay seller in Scotland called earlpilanz who has humbuckers that look more likely to be from the same supplier, (and they even quote an inductance value which few other manufacturers do), but the shop seems to be offline at the moment.

Bristlehound likes this.

13. mroll

mroll TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Laguna Woods, CA
    When I ordered mine, ePacket was one of the two free shipping options, so I took it. It's been 14 days since I ordered and mine are still in China. Being close to LA, I normally get stuff from China pretty quickly once it actually gets here.

14. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I've always opted for the Free Air China shipping but it takes just under a month to arrive. Usually it'll get here within 25 - 30 days but I figured I'd try the ePacket. For a couple of sets of covers, a set of Tele Pickups and a rear tremolo cover it was less than $10. It looks like mine are still in China at the moment too.

15. mroll

mroll TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Laguna Woods, CA
    My pickups appear to be stuck in ePacket limbo. The were supposed dispatched on 11-14, but went nowhere. On the 27th, I got another dispatched notice, but no movement since then. Coming up on 30 days since I ordered them. :(

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I ordered a set

and will either use the neck and middle in a tele, or use just the middle with a Donlis DH22 neck and a Cav Fat Lion or Tonerider A3 in the bridge

17. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I ordered some on 10/23 that haven't showed up yet. Didn't realize until just now it'd been that long.

18. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Contact them via the chat thing on their storefront. I ordered by ePacket as well hoping to get them sooner than the free shipping. I've ordered from them 3 times and each time the free shipping took about 25 - 30 days to arrive. ePacket was supposed to be 15 - 20 days or something so I figured I'd spring for the extra $ to get them sooner.

My order went in on 11-16-2017 and according to the tracking they departed China 11-29-2017. I'm not sure why it took 11 days to leave China but perhaps it had to leave the province of somewhere and get to the international departure location for ePackets? I have no idea.

My details so far are as follows:

Tracking number: LM---------CN
    Logistics company: ePacket
    Shipment time: 2017-11-16 18:06:33

International item mailed in originating country: 2017-11-27 21:54:00

International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada: 2017-11-29 16:52:00

Being that it's December 2 (December 3rd in China), that's a hell of a long flight... I suspect it's sitting in customs in Canada waiting to be received and documented.

All in all, unless I receive the parts sometime early this coming week, it appears that this ePacket experiment appears to be a waste of money and next time I'll just order with Free shipping and wait the typical 25 - 30 days.

CFFF likes this.

19. mroll

mroll TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Laguna Woods, CA
    Here's what my tracking says (in reverse order):

• Processed Through Facility

2017-11-27 09:59:00 [CHINA,GUANGZHOU EMS]

• Processed Through Facility

2017-11-15 13:08:00 [CHINA,GUANGZHOU EMS]

• Acceptance

2017-11-14 23:35:00 [CHINA]

• Posting

2017-11-14 23:35:00 [GuangDongShengGuangZhouShi 51010100 ]
    I sent them a message on their store page to check on it. Oddly, I have another item on order from another Chinese site (not Aliexpress) that shows processed on the 27th as well with no additional movement.

20. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I just got my 9k Alnico 5 Bridge pup, ordered 11/11/17. Looks good. Nice that the leads are extra long. I am finishing up getting a bridge together for my Squier Standard Strat, but the pup is in and waiting. The other two pups ate 6.4k Alnico 5 Squier pups. Hopefully they will be a decent match, sort of Texas Specials set up.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.