Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Donlis Pickups... These guys are listening to our feedback.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by awasson, Nov 4, 2017.

1. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Thanks for the heads up!

awasson likes this.

2. mroll

mroll TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Laguna Woods, CA

3. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    These are Strat-sized single coils.

4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Ok, that’s really odd. I have a set of their A5 sort of premium priced Strat pickups. They’re model number DS53. They are definitely wound within the bobbins and I’m using a set of naturally yellowed fender covers from the 80’s or 90’s on them.

Here’s a photo of what they looked like when they arrived with the stock covers. Those covers will slide of and the fender ones slide right on. I didn’t see any issues with my set.

2ED6D563-FD2E-486B-A363-DF22D4797D03.jpeg

CFFF and bparnell57 like this.

5. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Donlis replied to an old email exchange today and asked how I am and what I think about their pickups. So yes they are certainly listening to and wanting our feedback. Anybody else get an email from them?

6. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Mine are the same.

7. mroll

mroll TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Laguna Woods, CA
    Ordered a set of the A2 humbuckers with nickel silver covers. Interested to see how they compare with my other sub-$100/pair pickups. I have a number of other cheap ones, including RH Factor, Tone Emporium, Giovanni, Iron Gear and GFS. If they work out, I'll try some Tele ones on my next build. Should be fun. :D

Thanks Antigua Tele for all your informative posts on these pickups.

Felino and CFFF like this.

8. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Donlis definitely looks around the web...

upload_2017-11-9_11-40-14.png

They've never messaged me proactively. I got a response once when I asked why their double cream offering was removed, and they politely informed me DiMarzio had contacted them about their listing.

bparnell57 likes this.

9. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Wow. Cr@##y on DiMarzio. I'll never buy anything of theirs.

10. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Click on the large banner in my sig, read all about it. Help out, if you're eligible.

11. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    @Antigua Tele Yes I saw they lifted your photo for their banner the other day :)

They told me about Dimarzio bitching about the double creams too.

12. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hmmm..... later today I’ll yank mine out and photo them without the covers to give you an idea of what they should look like. That’s really weird that you’d be having trouble with fitting the covers. Definitely a QC issue I would think. I’ll probably be able to do that within the next 4-6 hours, after work.

13. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    If we can get pics of the bulging coils, that would be very helpful.

14. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Their Pickups are cheap enough with covers to request double creams with non potted, non soldered nickel covers, "for options". I bet they'd do it.

Felino likes this.

15. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Yes, I did read that. Crazy stuff. It isn't even like they "invented" anything. Also, it's been 36 years since then, they should get over their "cleverness". lol

CFFF likes this.

16. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Ok, long day but I managed to yard mine out and photographed one of them to show you want I'm seeing. The pickups fit the covers (Fender MIJ 80's covers from old ceramics). They are snug but there is no restriction, resistance or forcing to prevent them sliding in.

IMG_3664.jpg IMG_3665.jpg IMG_3666.jpg IMG_3663.jpg

17. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    Im not surprized they do. I searched for "Donlis" on the net (thinking of buying a body) and the first thing I got on google was a one or two indepth treads about there pickups. If they googled there name the should have ended up here first also....TDPRI rules

Felino and awasson like this.

18. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    So, how do you like these pups?

I am considering buying Fender Texas specials, or The Dragonfire equivalent. But maybe these would be hot enough?

The other option I guess is to ask them if they have a RWRP set of three of the 9.0 output pups. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...650.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.4a7393bdaG8zPd

19. Antigua Tele

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I reviewed the set here http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7848/donlis-ds53-analysis-review , they are like a cross between Fat 50's and Texas Specials. They have the hotter bridge of Texas Specials, but the neck and middle are matched, like Fat 50's. I really like them, in fact I put them in my most prized Strat, a Fender Japan ST62-SPL Garden.

CFFF likes this.

20. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I do like them. I spent a little time getting the heights set to where I wanted them. If I was more experienced with the Strat, I'll bet it wouldn't have taken as long but I was more used to setting up humbuckers and the heights on my Tele. The Strat, because of the floating bridge seems to me to be very particular and requires adjusting, listening and adjusting some more to get it right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.