Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Donlis Bass Pickups, Analysis and Review

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Antigua Tele, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    This review is of Jazz and P-Bass pickups from Chinese pickup maker Donlis. Both sets feature quality features, including fiber bobbins, cloth hookup wire, taped over coils, and of course, actual AlNiCo 5 pole pieces.

Donlis Jazz Bass DJ51

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...32305243957.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.f5WT9e

[​IMG]

Donlin lists a neck and bridge version of the pickup, and it's not clear how you order one or the other. Based on the 19.3mm spacing, I see that they sent me the bridge pickup.

At 3.5H inductance, these are very typical of Fender's stick Jazz Bass pickups, a little on the side, but they're identical to the Pure Vintage 74 neck pickup I tested. It's a little low wound for a bridge, but not excessively so. The specs I measured differ from those they listed by a small amount.

As far as quality goes, there is really nothing to fault. The coils are even tapes with quality cloth tape.

At about $30 a piece they're about $20 cheaper than the next cheapest option, the Tonerider TRJ1. If you don't mind the lower output wind, it's a really good deal.

- DC Resistance: 8.30K ohms
    - Measured L: 3.532H
    - Calculated C: 158pF (148 - 10)
    - Gauss: 950G

unloaded: dV: 15.2dB f: 6.73kHz (black)
    loaded (200k & 470pF): dV: 5.4dB f: 3.24kHz (red)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Donlis P-Bass DP51

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr..._1968789382.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.f5WT9e

[​IMG]

This is also a "low wound" bass pickup, with a DC resistance of 8.75k, which is lower than the more typical ~10k ohms. The 4.2H inductance is also low, 5H to 6H is more typical.

Most P-Bass pickups I've measured in that resistance range have loaded peak frequencies in the 2kHz range, where as these show 3.2kHz, which will make for a more treble oriented response. Unlike the KAISH pickups measured here , I wouldn't say these are anemic pickups, they're just on the bright end of the spectrum. They might be great for slap bass, or for getting more brilliance from flat wound strings. I haven't installed them yet, I'll report back with my impressions after having played through them.

This set is currently going for just under $30, and they're up their with domestic boutiques as far as quality goes, as is Tonerider, which are also made in China, and which these resemble.

- DC Resistance: 8.75K ohms
    - Measured L: 4.150H
    - Calculated C: 33pF (43 - 10)
    - Gauss: 800G

unloaded: dV: 14.3dB f: 11.9kHz (black)
    loaded (200k & 470pF): dV: 5.0dB f: 3.21kHz (red)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vespa_One likes this.

2. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    Spanaway, WA
    It might make a dandy mandolin pickup as well, just using half of the PU.
    Did that with a Fender P Bass PU years ago, it worked well, but looked kind of wierd.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I split a set of PBass pickups on a 4-string CBG with 4-way switch, so yes these do well for that application. I'd rather have something a little hotter, I'm sure they'll have one to offer soon.

4. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Epiphone put a P-bass pickup on its Mandobird which was a solid body mandolin shaped like a tiny Gibson Firebird. They made 4 and 8-string versions. I've never heard one, so I can't comment on tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.