Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Done with OD pedals: who's with me?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TeleBrew, Feb 11, 2011.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Done! I much prefer combining my two boost pedals and an almost-breaking-up amp. I use an E-H LPB-1 and an MXR Micro Amp to push it (plus they do nice things independently, both on gritty and clean settings).

Who else has gotten fed up with OD pedals?

LarryBudMelman likes this.

2. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2009
    Barnegat, NJ
    Well, I guess I'm in. My overdrive is in my amp. A Tubescreamer (Ibanez TSA15H)

:)

Being serious though, I really like the micro amp into the boost channel which offers a really nice amount of hair with great dynamics.

3. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    I am not fond of OD pedals and much prefer EQ and Boost..and I really like the MXR Micro Amp for giving that bit of hair in there. I turn the amp and everything way up and cntrol the whole mess through my guitar's volume and tone. A nice edgy "clean" sound that's been dragged through the streets a few blocks.

LarryBudMelman and El Tele Lobo like this.

4. Pinball_Wizard

Pinball_Wizard Tele-Holic

May 6, 2008
    San Diego
    I have a serious problem with having pedals sometimes completely. I switch between my fuzz and OS-2 right now, I found out my fuzz has a problem on the battery connector. Occasionally makes a nice static sound when I switch it on and off.

After I replace that, the OS-2 might see less use for a while.

I fancy the dirt flavor added, If I do just want a boost, my acoustic/electric has an eq on it and I get a mid boost there. I would drop the pedals if I ever do get a tube amp with a floor switch. However I love the sound from the fuzz through a clean amp.

So yeah I'm done with OD pedals. I guess.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    It's all a means to an end.

A boost (or two) into an amp that will give it up without your ears bleeding is a lot of fun, but not always practical (or flexible) for the gig. In the studio, you can end up blowing a lot of time trying to mic up those raging amp tones, too.

For outdoor shows with something like a Twin, a boost is really going to be limited, if it works at all.

Another option is a clean amp and a crunchy one with an A/B box, but that means you have to commit to 2X the rig. Will there always be space on the stage? Will you have time to set that all up?

I love my Marshall to pieces, but it never goes to gigs with me. The crunch tone is to die for, but the cleans just aren't there. And even through a single 12, it will kill your ears (and it will kill a single 12 after about 30 hours, too).

Pedals are just an option. If they don't work, put them away and come back to them. Take as long as you need. Sometimes not using some gear will give you an idea how to change your setup.

Whatever works.

con brio and LarryBudMelman like this.

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    My weapon of choice is an old DOD FX10 Bi-Fet Preamp stomp box.
    My old drummer gave it to me. He had just started working at a new job. They found out he played in a band and gave him this. Somebody had left it there years ago so he gave it to me.

Straight-up volume boost with a tone knob for treble or bass. I usually leave it in the tone in the middle, maybe a touch of highs depending on the room.
    The first night I used it I knew it was a keeper.

Sometimes I push it through my Tube Screamer, but most of the time I get what I need from my amp.

I don't care for the Bumble-Bees-in-tin-foil sound.

7. Coach305

Coach305 Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2010
    Atlantic, Iowa
    I would imagine it all depends on which pedals you have and what you use them for. With my Wampler Black '65, for instance, I can make my Vox AC15C1 sound just like a classic BF Fender amp, which is crazy fun. My Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive can go from clean boost only to drive the Vox into its own natural breakup to a rich combination of boost/808 effects that sounds a lot like the effect many guitarists get running their signal through a clean amp and a saturated one at the same time. And my Fulltone PlimSoul gives me a two-for-the-price-of-one ability to get soft-clipped OR hard-clipped OD from one pedal, plus the ability to blend the two together; experimenting with the PlimSoul is like working toward my Ph.D in overdrive effects! ;)

Not giving up any of these in the foreseeable future...

8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I'm not done with ODs, however, I never used ODs for my dirt- I use them to push the amp into more dirt. I've never been a "my dirty channel is an OD pedal" guy.

9. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    New York City
    i only use treble boosters now with my AC30

10. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Wish I could say I'm done with them, but I have a fatal weakness for pedals. I'm trying to kick the habit, though. Just read an interview with Luther Dickinson where he said D Trucks was telling him to try not using distortion, etc., and just control from the guitar. He's liking it.

So it can be done.

LarryBudMelman and CCK1 like this.

11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I could be done with all pedal if someone would make a 50 watt 2x12 two channel amp that 100% nailed BF Twin clean on one channel and Marshall plexi crunch on the other. A half power switch, reverb and tremolo too.

12. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Quite to the contrary - I'm done with amp OD, and rely on pedals only to get various shades of OD...

I have amps from 5 to 60W (VHT Special 6, Princeton Reverb clone, Carvin Vintage 16, JTM45-clone, Boogie Mk. 1 clone), I tried boosting them, tried cranking them - and always come back to my pedals; even with various-sized amps it is hard to get your OD at the precise volume level that will work perfectly with the rest of the band; and I'm simply not too fond of amp OD tones (unless it's just a little bit of breakup - you know, those sounds that aren't really clean, but not really dirty, either... - I can get those from my amps) - either too muddy, or too fizzy in the trebles, or too compressed, I find it much easier to dial in the precise OD tones I'm looking for with my pedals.

What kind of ODs have you tried? There really ARE big differences (eg. I haven't found anything that comes close to my Barber LTD in tone quality...), and each pedal has its strengths and weaknesses (and sometimes you have to stack two pedals for best results). I hope you aren't basing your decision on run-off-the-mill Tubescreamer copies or something like that?

13. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Depends on what I'm playing, but for the most part I don't use dirtboxes. A cranked touch sensitive small amp, a Bad Bob that's always on, and my volume knob get me all the sounds I need. Sometimes it's just guitar/amp, like this below. It really helps you get in touch with the dyamics of your playing. Clean and mean with a flip of the volume knob.

14. telejester

telejester TDPRI Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Duluth, MN
    It's hard to find an OD that really works for me, (too smooth, too harsh, too many mids, too compressed, etc.) but I really enjoy having multiple levels of drive. I can run my signal thru a booster, OD, plus a boost option on the OD pedal. Fuzz too when needed.

None the less I'm still looking for a more pleasing mid-gain OD pedal. I have a super clean amp that doesn't break up easily, so I really have a use for it in my setup.

15. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2008
    Amarillo TX
    +freaking 1!!!

16. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 31, 2008
    Wise River, Montana
    Not me. If I'm playing my SR I have to have at least one overdrive pedal, usually my TubeScreamer, or I can't get any tone at all. The amp is simply too loud to overdrive without stomping on the rest of the band. I use a second overdrive for more aggressive sounds and playing slide, and lately I've been using pedals even with my Marshall just to get a wider palate of overdriven tones.

Overdrive forever! <G>

Justin

Fiesta Red likes this.

17. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    With a JC-120, If I'm done with overdrive pedals then I'm done with blues, Rock,overdrive and distortion!:lol:

Whiskerz likes this.

18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I have always gone with the Dave Hunter opinion (paraphrasing here) that "overdrives are either designed to push your amp into breakup, or create a distortion that emulates amp breakup, most do a little of both...".

I am fine with using OD as my "second channel" as I want access to a clean Fender amp tone at low/moderate volume (as that sound is a rhythm and lead tone I use), and deliberately seek out OD pedals that really do create a nice adjustable breakup at any volume needed. But that is just how I am most comfortable

19. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

I'm not with you. I like both - occasional use of an OD for tonal shaping or sometimes straight into the amp with no effects and just obtaining the natural tube driven OD. Both have their uses.

20. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2009
    Illinois
    If I am playing an amp where I could get by without OD then I am probably playing an amp with no clean headroom. An OD pedal is about versatility.

alnico357 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.