Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

donahue wiring

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by nosuch, Sep 30, 2009.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I tried a peavey omniac today and found the 5 position switch to give some nice options, a jazzy tone and the quack you get from a strat in the 4th position )middle + bridge) I did a search for it and found two schematics:
    [​IMG]
    as well as:
    [​IMG]
    The latter defines nocaster PUs which I have in my MIM Esquire. Anyway to me the two schematics look a bit different.
    I've been pretty fond of robert crays sound lately but somehow the strat middle pickup always gets in the way of my picking hand (it's been some years since I sold my strat). would I get some of the strat quack with that wiring (with the nocaster PUs), is it worth the effort?
    would I need just a normal strat switch and the caps or something special?
    I am a technical moron and probably would ask my neighbor to solder it for me, so maybe someone can be so friendly to list the parts I would have to buy?

2. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

Unless your tele has wider control cavity than mine, you will need to have a custom plate made to fit the 5 way super switch, see here. (or make the cavity wider :eek:)

You can buy those switches from lots of places, I got mine from here.

WRT the wiring differences, I'll have a look.

EDIT: Neither of the wiring diagrams above have the same pinouts as Fender 5 way super switch. If you want to try the circuits, you'll have to re-draw them. (or buy one of their switches)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  3. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

That second diagram above isn't quite right (or I don't know how to read it properly). Here is a similar one that should work. Care should be taken, since some of the short grey connections are *very* difficult to see!

The main differences (using the other JD diagram):

Peavy has tone engaged all the time. However the second neck position and the parallel position has extra cap (can't read the values, looks like 0.0033uF and 0.0022uF).

Peavy has treble bleed (150k & 0.001 in parallel).

JD has no tone for the first neck position or the phase reverse position.

NOTE: again, the switch pinouts of all these diagrams are different to the Fender 2 wafer 5 way super switch

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

FYI, the second drawing with the Lexisnexis branding is my creation. It has since been corrected. I thing about 4 years ago.....:D

6. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Thanks butch,

and is there anyway I can get this corrected drawing?
    Does it work fine with the nocaster PUs?
    I thought the Peaveys system with the "Jazz"-preset and the quack-preset gave pretty much the options I could use. Does that wiring of yours do these?
    And could you please provide a list of parts (would I need to buy some wire, too, so I can go shopping and ask my friendly neighbor to do the soldering?

BTW. is cc9cii right that the switch doesn't fit into the cavity? or is there one that fits?

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Gentlemen?

If the "super-switch" does not fit, can I get the 3 classic tele sounds + the strat-quack with a four-way switch?

8. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

9. Guitartom_ca

Guitartom_ca Tele-Holic

i found this diagram on the SD forum a few months ago. I think it is right. it uses a superswitch, instead of the one peavey uses.

Attached Files:

10. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

That one might work, although I've not seen one up close. You need to make sure there are altogether 24 'lugs' (well, for that switch solder pads).

It should be noted that my guitar's control cavity might be narrower than yours. I don't know if the super switch will fit or not on YOUR guitar. The superswitch needs a tad over 1/2" from the center line, so, if your control cavity is exactly 1" wide, then you're likely to have trouble fitting that switch. If, however, you have 1 1/8 or more, then you might be lucky (may have to bend a few lugs to fit, still).

If you decide to get the rockinger switch and need help with a wiring diagram, I'm happy to help out as long as you tell me how the switch is configured (you may need a multimeter to figure that out).

11. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I talked to hardy kurandt today, inventor of the silvermachine wah and electronics wizzard. he'll get a switch his friend makes and then have a try.
    any help will be appreciated if it does not work with the given schedule.

12. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

13. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

I bought a J.D.guitar with the wiring that´s supposed to give you the Stratocaster quack.
    IMO it sounds different from a Tele sound in that position,but not near the Strat quack.
    IMHO you need a Strat to get the quack sound.
    I have a few Strats so I could compare the sounds.
    If you want another Telesound,go for it.If you want the quack sound,you need a guitar with one pickup in the middle. That is my opinion.

14. ddlooping

ddlooping Tele-Meister

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! :)

15. Butch Snyder

I have a partscaster with a JD control assembly I bought from 920D; Strat neck pickup too. All positions sound good; but position #2, with the bridge pickup selection being position #1, does not sound like a Strat. In fact, it sounds very similar to my Classic Player Baja Tele's #2 position with the S1 depressed. I guess it's kind of 1/2 out of phase. Nice sound but not a Strat tone. So, I agree with limbe. Want a Strat 2/4 position tone, add a Strat pickup to the middle position of your Telecaster.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

16. Butch Snyder

I just realized that all the drawings posted are the one I did.

17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Thanks man. Actually the guy who did the wiring for me had to do some trial and error until it worked as advertised. I guess there was either an error in the drawing or he was doing something wrong. It turned out that I don't use the extra positions as much as I thought btw.

18. Butch Snyder

My drawing was built using bits and pieces of information gathered from the web and other players; as at that time, the schematic was still a big secret. Go to the link below and you can see both the Fender model and Peavey Omniac schematics. There is also a 2nd version of the Fender wiring. I have verified that these diagrams are correct.

Jerry Donahue Telecaster/Peavey Omniac Schematics

19. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Blast from the past! This is one of the threads I used as a reference when I adapted the Omniac wiring for a build I did in 2011. I went less aggressive with the dark cap and skipped the resistors.

I also used the Schaller Megaswitch M, which fit with enough extra room I was able to use the Rutters plate with the switch at an angle.

[​IMG]

After using it a bit, I swapped positions 1 and 2 and went to I think a 2nf cap (maybe 2.2nf) for position 2.

I think the half out of phase tone does a fair imitation of a Strat in a live band context, but it definitely is its own thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.