Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Don Mare Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Vox66, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Vox66

Vox66 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    New Jersey
    I just got my DM pickups in the mail yesterday. I'll be heating up the old soldering gun in a few minutes. Merry Christmas to me!!!!

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Tele-Afflicted

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    congrats! Which set did you purchase? Let us know what you think once you get them installed.

3. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    I'd like to try a set myself. I've heard great things about his stuff.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Vox66

Vox66 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    New Jersey
    i got a custom "Hayride" set, 6.5 bridge and 6.4 neck. Since i couldn't decide between the the Hayrides or Zepotones, I had Don make a set somewhere in between the two. I'm taking the Voodoo TE60's out of my tele right now. I'll keep ya posted!

6. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2009
    Tucson
    Definitely interested in the comparison of Voodoo TE60's to Don Mare's! Keep us posted indeed!

7. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Small world! I just ordered a set of Zep-O-tone live series on thursday. They are for a build of mine. If I like these I may just order a set for a couple more teles. Can't wait to hear how these turn out...

8. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    you won't be disappointed. don's the best in the business.

9. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hayrides are fantastic pickups. Very versatile and very musical. I had a set in a guitar I sold. Would definitely 'do over'.

10. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2003
    CA.

TE60's are 7.5k to 8k
    -that would be more in the range of, my (overwound) Super Sport 7.5k or my Tweed Monster 8k...not my 6.4k Hayrides

its really best to try and A&B similar single coil pickups by ohms.. and not just vs. them against one another by the makers name..etc..

11. Vox66

Vox66 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    New Jersey
    Well i just installed the pickups and they sound great! I'm still dialing in the pickup heights but they have a nice tone, very vintage less midrange than the TE60s. Iv'e only been playing them for 5 minutes and its late and my neighbors are going to kill me! I have the '63 AC30 cranked 1/2 way up... really smoking pickups! Much more dimensional sounding than the TE60s. Just played the DM pickups through my Echoplex and DMM.....dreamy man very dreamy.They're keepers folks.Thanks Don!

12. Vox66

Vox66 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    New Jersey
    It's been a week or so since I installed my custom "Hayride" pickups.......... I do believe that I've been channeling Don Rich! Wonderful Bakersfield tone for miles!

13. Sw0rdfish

Sw0rdfish Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2011
    Placed an order the other day. Don was extremely helpful and knowledgeable definitely the best service i've had in sometime. Now i'm just Jones'n to get my grubby mits on them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.