Don Felder on Glenn Frey

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telemarkman, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Mr. Felder wrote the music, but Frey and Henley wrote the lyrics. Just sayin'. ;-)

2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Well spoken LD. Most everyone of Mr. Felder's status has a publicist, who tells them what to say, and what not to say. That raises the question then, did Don Felder mince his words? Who is going to say something bad about a recently deceased former band member?

3. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

so every time Hotel makes $100
    Felder gets a check for $13 for writing the song,
    Henley and Fry get a check for $78 for writing the lyrics
    yeah, thats seems fair.

4. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Take the high road Felder, what else is there?

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

At least Felder wrote the chord progressions and the guitar solo. He rarely finished any song that he started writing. But that guitar solo is one of the best in the history of rock, so that counts for something, I guess. ;)

6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Not royalties!

I have a ton of respect for Felder.

Cheers,
    Geoff

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Felder was brought in as a full business partner, Walsh and Schmit were both hired on as essentially "sidemen," they never had any say in the Eagles' business affairs. One of the examples that Felder cited in his book that he objected to was during the Hell Freezes Over tour, Frey and Henley had bigger hotel rooms than the others, paid for out of the band's account-meaning money that was 1/3 Felder's. Walsh and Schmit had no financial reason to object, it wasn't their money.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with others, Felder raised that band to a whole knew level.
    I wonder what they could have bee with Leadon and Felder?
    I re-iterate that his remarks about Glen Frey are the words of a decent
    and gracious man.
    What's the point of bagging the dead?
    Only heard it twice about bosses I worked
    for and they deserved it.

9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Felder did not write the song... he came up with a great musical idea that needed finishing. There is a "technical" difference within the industry.

Songwriting credits 101....

Lyrics = 50%
    Melody = 50%
    Chord Progression = 0
    Beat/Groove = 0 (this is why the Blurred Lines verdict shocked the industry)
    Guitar Solo = 0
    (those last three count as arrangement... not writing)

I'm not saying I agree... that's just the way it is!

10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

One example of an exception to those rules is in 2009, Matthew Fisher winning co-writing credit for the organ part to 'Whiter Shade of Pale'. I think that kind of thinking is more in line with today's music where songs are often strongly identified by instrumentation outside of just the lyrics and melody. I think Felder fits into that groove - and the Eagles did give him credit for that and other songs.

11. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I felt disgusted with the way Glenn Frey discussed his relationship with Don Felder in the History of the Eagles documentary - to the point of not wanting to hear the band's music after that as I felt he tarnished the whole image of the band.

I can only guess at the full extent of what went on between these two but, as others have said, Felder could have said nothing following Frey's passing and no-one would have thought more about it. So, for him to make that public statement, speaks of a man with a decent amount of humility and perhaps an element of sadness that he never made it up with Glenn Frey and now he can't.

So, good on him for doing so.

12. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

13. keithcc

keithcc Tele-Meister

My attitude is, No one held a gun to his head to do the reunion. He could have said I get an equal share or no dice. He wasn't starving to death before and he wouldn't have starved had he stayed out.

How successful the others were and how successful he had been outside the original band has nothing to do with what he should have got from Eagles, but that is my opinion and as such is worth nothing. I would, unless I had some really desperate need like medical bills, etc, just told them I get an equal share or I stay home, have a nice tour.

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Instead, he did release a statement, and now people are talking about what a great guy he is, and how Glenn Frey and Don Henley screwed him.

15. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Frey and Henley are known, in the industry, to be be very "difficult" individuals - and not just as described by Felder, in his book. I'm a huge Eagles fan, nonetheless. I'm also a huge Beatles fan, but(despite the carefully"marketed" image) realize that John Lennon was a very nasty, loathsome individual. I still, however, listen to the Beatles regularly. Felder is simply taking the "high-road" and that is all there is to it.

16. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

People are always talkin' about what a great guy he is without actually knowing anything about him other than his guitar playin' skills. He screwed himself, he knows it, still whines about it and felt the need to whine all the way thru his tell all book. No matter how good you are, if you complain and whine and ***** enough you will eventually be dealt with and you probably won't like the outcome. He has said many times he would rejoin if asked, then continues to bring lawsuits. I'm thinking his publicist drafted Felders response but what do I know. I imagine Frey would have said something nice if Felder had died but then again, what do I know? It's hard to feel too bad about Felder, he's still getting paid and if he wanted to be in the band he should have played along like everybody else. As for Don and Glenn, they don't have to listen to his BS anymore.

17. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

It's a shame ain't it. Just like how Brent Mason's Telecaster is responsible for every chart topper out of Nashville for a couple decades.

18. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Except it's not, it's the song and the singer.

19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Exactly... Brent is a great guitar player, and has contributed a lot of guitar "hooks" to songs, but that's not writing. The songs can still be sung around a campfire without that guitar part.

20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don Felder, 10 hours ago on Facebook:

"I would have been honored to have joined The Eagles last night for the Glenn Frey Tribute at the Grammys but sadly I was not invited. ‪#‎joewalsh‬ ‪#‎donhenley‬ ‪#‎bernieleadon‬ ‪#‎timothybschmit‬ ‪#‎jacksonbrowne‬"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.