Don Felder on Glenn Frey

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telemarkman, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

I don't know if this has been posted earlier, but it's certainly something to think about for all those of you who have uttered some real harsh words about Glenn over the years that I've been a member here ...

Don Felder Pays Tribute to Glenn Frey’s ‘Amazing Genius’

"Glenn’s passing was so unexpected and has left me with a very heavy heart filled with sorrow. He was so young and still full of amazing genius. He was an extremely talented songwriter, arranger, leader, singer, guitarist – you name it – and Glenn could do it and create “MAGIC” on the spot. His visions and insights into songs and lyrics have become legendary and will echo throughout time on this earth for decades to come.

Glenn was the one who invited me to join the Eagles in 1974, and it turned out to be a gift of a lifetime to have spent so many years working side by side with him. He was funny, strong and generous. At times, it felt like we were brothers and at other times, like brothers, we disagreed. Despite our struggles and difficult moments together, we managed to create some magical songs, recordings and live shows. His charisma on stage was felt and loved by millions of people all over the world. I have many wonderful memories of those years and the many miles I traveled with Glenn, filled with laughter, song, parties, hugs and brotherly bonds.

Glenn was the James Dean of the band. He was the leader that we all looked to for direction and by far the coolest guy in the band. It saddens me a great deal that we were never able to address the issues that came between us and talk them through. Sadly, now we will never get the chance. The planet has lost a great man and a wonderful musician today. None will ever be able to take his place. May you rest in peace Glenn Frey, and may God bless you and your lovely family."

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Good for Don Felder, he did that with class, and it is too bad they couldn't work it out before it was too late.

3. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Well done Mr. Felder!

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never had a thought or a word to say about either of those cats. My conscience is clear.

5. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

I can't say I was ever much of a Glenn Frey fan, but I do respect what he did with the Eagles. I always thought Don Felder was a fine guitarist who plays in the context of a song quite well. I have to admire him for his class and tact in remembering his late friend, Mr. Frey.

Dan R

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice.

7. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Classy move on Felder's part.

8. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Definitely. I've heard the stories of bad blood between them, here and there. They certainly didn't always get along. But at least Don can look back on the good times and not be hung up on the bad, even if they never got to resolve all of it.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

Very classy thing to say by Don Felder. I feel bad for both he and Glenn that they never got to iron out their differences. I wish him well and really do appreciate this sentimental farewell. I do think more highly of him now because of it. Well done, Don.

10. pcampbell

pcampbell Tele-Meister

Like a lot of long term relationships, it apparently was complicated, with some good and bad. But certainly a wealth of talent between them (and not just those two, of course - anyone in that group is or was highly talented).

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very nice. Good job Don.

Like I said, with both he and Bowie passing over/through/on within days of each other, just to compare and contrast how each has been remembered outside of their musical legacy.

Very different recollections from those who came into contact with them.

Very instructive to me personally as I'm a bit of a pisser and I know that I'd like to be remembered more like one than the other.

I better get to work on that...

12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I saw the long documentary on the Eagles a few days back. Until then, I was not aware that Frey had insisted that Henley and he get bigger shares of the revenue from recording and touring in the reunion years than the others. Frey's rationale was that Henley and he were the only two that had careers and notoriety after the break-up in 1980, they had a bigger draw, and should get paid more. That apparently ate at Felder throughout the 90's and Frey stated he was the one that made the decision in the 2000-2001 timeframe that Felder had to go.

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Respectfully, taking the high road & parking one's ego, is not always easy to do, especially when the world's watching...cooler than James Dean.

14. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I saw the long documentary on the Eagles a few days back. Until then, I was not aware that Frey had insisted that Henley and he get bigger shares of the revenue from recording and touring in the reunion years than the others. Frey's rationale was that Henley and he were the only two that had careers and notoriety after the break-up in 1980, they had a bigger draw, and should get paid more. That apparently ate at Felder throughout the 90's and Frey stated he was the one that made the decision in the 2000-2001 timeframe that Felder had to go.

Simply speaking, Frey and Henley totally hosed the other guys and often treated them like $#it.

Felder was a lot nicer to him in that piece than he was in his book...Good for him.

15. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Holic

"De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est"... Don Felder 2016

16. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice.

17. bdbrown

bdbrown Tele-Meister

Very nice, too bad it took a death to drop the ego long enough to say what he really felt.

It should be a lesson to us all

18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

How do you know that this is what he felt and not what he felt he should say publicly?

Maybe what he really feels is that "this SOB took money out of my pocket and now I have to be the good guy and not say what I really think about him stealing my money and throwing me out of the band".

19. bdbrown

bdbrown Tele-Meister

True but he could have said nothing and nobody would have thought different

Truth is Glen Fry was a *******, well documented....But a musical genius the same

And Don Felder didn't play nice with others

20. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

It's a classy thing to say publicly. What else was he going to say? Felder's no dummy. Whether it's sincere or not I have no idea. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.