Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Domino’s Pizza: Meeting the needs of people who don’t actually have those needs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You know I've never on my own ordered pizza anywhere. When I go out with some folks and they order pizza I'll eat it, maybe even enjoy it if it's any good, and I have no idea what good is, just whether I like it or not. I can't imagine a situation where I would order a pizza and have it delivered. I might pick one up at the counter at Costco or Winco, they look and smell pretty good while being cooked when I shop there, but it isn't likely. Pizza pretty much seems to me like heartburn on a shingle.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

It was from my favorite pizza place in san jose, Giorgios... the weather was bad, my hands were full, long day... it murphy's lawed me.. it tumbled out and hit and, well, it was not salvageable.

I was bummed. It was a long time ago... We did not resort to Dominos that day... I think I piled the kids in the car and IIRC we just friggin drove up and got a full dinner at Giorgios.... I am stubborn like that.

When I was teaching and first writing programs.. and living in Kentucky (I know) I kept crazy hours... dominos was a staple... 7.99 was at least two meals for me... which was pretty great... have not had pizza in a long time and no dominos in even longer...

but, the commercial where the dude has the tree hit the car and drops his pizza... it makes me relive my experience every time...

Toto'sDad likes this.

3. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    If you were at a restaurant why wouldn't you just go ahead and order some real food? :D

4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    No matter how macabre an experience someone can think of, someone here on the Dog has lived it!

5. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2016
    Portland, OR
    If you fold a slice of pizza in half it becomes a sandwich.

nojazzhere likes this.

6. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I tried one a few years ago after everyone started touting their 'improvements'. It still wasn't pizza.

Ira7 and nojazzhere like this.

7. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    Yes....Pizza Pie was late coming to my attention in Australia and I didn't taste one until one night in 1968 when I was 18 and was on a pub crawl with some mates. The second pub we went to had a restaurant called Pizza Napoli a few doors down. A sophisticated member of the gang suggested we have a pizza pie so we went down the street and I watched in wonder as a grumpy Italian guy pummelled dough and then flung it around about his head.

We took the pizza pie back to the bar of the Treasury Hotel and proceeded to eat it to the bewilderment of the middle aged patrons who were no doubt wondering just what was Australia coming to.

Pizza and beer!!!! Pizza and beer!!!!

It was the beginning of a lifelong love affair.

kafka and nojazzhere like this.

8. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    I like the idea of having pizza delivered to somewhere other than your residence. It could be your guilty secret when you ostensibly took the dog for a walk but were in fact getting a capricciosa fix two blocks from home with no sharing necessary.

kafka and getbent like this.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You know, many Panera Bread locations have a delightful patio. The food is simply awful, but Pizza Hut could put the Hotspot there and you could eat some average pizza on Panera Bread's patio and that would be all right.

I think they could locate these hot spots near where houses and buildings are under construction. They could compete with Taco Trucks and the sack lunch people might bring from home. On our walk I saw some carpenters and their helpers having their lunch break in the entrance landscaping of a new McMansion development - they could've ordered some pizzas.

nojazzhere, Toto'sDad and haggardfan1 like this.

10. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    If you order pizza in Sweden, you get this with it... pizza salad! I've often wondered why this hasn't caught on in the states. OK I haven't really, but it is good.

20100907-pizza-salad.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If we're eating pizza at a restaurant, we almost always order a nice salad for two as well. They bring out the salad and you work on that while the pizza is baking. And drink wine. Or beer. Spinach salad, Greek salad, Caesar's.

Sometimes we fill up on salad and drinks, share a single slice of the pizza and have the rest boxed to go. That gets some strange looks. But so does ordering a 34 inch pizza. That's a trip! :^)

12. getbent

I honestly don't think I would know if I was getting strange looks at a restaurant.

boris bubbanov and haggardfan1 like this.

13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    When I was in college (1981-1985) Domino's Pizza was edible. If we could afford Pizza Hut or Johnny's (sound off, Louisiana residents) we did that, but it was Domino's if we were broke--which was most of the time.

This was way before the "revised" Domino's with new sauce and all that BS. It wasn't too good back in the day, and I much prefer Little Caesar's now if I have to have cheap-a** pizza. The only problem with Little Caesar's here is the pies are often underdone, but we can fix that at home. Their toppings are surprisingly good for the money.

As far as the takeout pizza insurance, I might could have used that one day when we had a heavy snow back in '82 or '83. I was walking back to Nielsen Dorm, down that big hill on Tech Drive with a Domino's pizza and two quarts of beer from the E-Z Mart in glass bottles. As you may have already surmised, I slipped on the ice and fell flat on my back.

No pizza or beer were harmed and I'm glad it was before the days of cell phone videos and YouTube. As far as I know, I wasn't hurt either. Good memories, I think.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:02 PM

14. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    If I picked up a pizza while under the pretense of walking Flash, I seriously doubt the pizza would make it home. He would either guilt me into splitting it with him, or take it by force. :lol:

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    [​IMG]

moosie, Toto'sDad and boris bubbanov like this.

16. getbent

this is giving me ptsd.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Crappy pizza - chain or otherwise is so often too much of a handful of things (crust too thick, too much sauce/cheese) and not enough of one - cooking.

And - unless the pepperoni is cut so thick that it curls into meat cups - leave it off my pizza. I’d rather just have a cheese one than the micro-slices/heartburn inducer.

18. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    It's a neat "It's the THOUGHT that counts" marketing ploy...that works.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

19. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You're so smart Kelnet, that's just the way I envisioned it! :)

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    That looks good! Is it "slaw-like"? looks like chopped up cabbage.
    You're right....many places treat the salad as an appetizer. This is why I like buffets....I like to eat my salad WITH the pizza.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.