Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Doing an esquire or tele build. Need "rangy" bridge pup suggestions.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bunky, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I'll probably be playing a variety of old early rock n roll, r&b, gospel, blues, soul, and fuzzed up stuff, if it can get a little hairy too that is always a big plus. Don't know what I should go for. Any suggestions?

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    42 awg wire wound to 9+k

for ex, Cavalier Fat Lion, Tonerider Hot Classic, Don Mare 10k 'Keefer'

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I see a tapped pickup in your future.:cool:

I have a Cavalier Fat/Bakersfield Lion. Great pickup. Rob has many offerings. Great customer service, great quality and very reasonable prices.

Worth a call to see what he recommends.

www.cavalierpickups.com

El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    Cavalier Twin or Hydra Lion. Done. I've got a Huge/Fat/6.1k hydra in an esquire that is just sick in it's versatility. From crispy clean to machete in the forehead and everything in between. All while still sounding like a tele, or should I say esquire.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    machete in the forehead...sounds like a chick I used to know :lol:

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    If you can get Boys of Summer on youtube, the Melbourne Australia concert, have a listen to Steuart (/) Smith,(no disrespect I just can't remember how to spell his name).
    He plays it brilliantly on an Esquire. My point; I used to have a Texas Special pickup and that's the sound you get from Mr. Smith .
    To me they are the best Telecaster pickups available- just a little too expensive- but one would not be too much depending on your budget. GREAT bridge pickup, unfortunately I sold the guitar.

7. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    I think when versatility is the goal, go as stock as possible, because all those genres and songs (where a Tele was in fact used) probably had stock Fender pickups.

Most of Fender's reissue style pickups are pretty much the same, the Original Vintage, Pure Vintage, Nocaster, etc. I analyzed a lot of them here http://www.tdpri.com/threads/measured-electrical-values-of-various-telecaster-pickups.665808/ Fender tries to play it safe, even when they claim they're being bold and daring, so you can pretty much pick one of these sets at random, and your Tele will sound like every Telecaster you've heard on the radio. You have to look outside of Fender to get the freaky stuff, such as super-bright Bardens or Bill Lawrence sets, or super dark sets from Seymour Duncan, crazy single coil sized humbuckers and what not. Just buy a Fender something or other and you're set.

bacongrease and Bunky like this.

8. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If you can, see if you can find a 50's Fender lap steel pickup. Same thing as the Tele/Esquire pickups and they sound tremendous. I found one and put it in my Esquire and love it. You can always resell later. Of course there are a million great pickups being made now too...just a thought.

bacongrease likes this.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I have a nice cav, but, you might try some rails too..all depends how hairy
    or over the top you want to get. RioGrand has some nice P90 sounding dirty harrys.

bacongrease and pedro58 like this.

10. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2004
    West Texas Desert
    I have a Cavalier tapped bridge pup and it is stellar. I'm in the weaker setting most of the time and go to the full coil for a push or a thicker tone. You can accomplish something similar with a hot pickup and a volume pot, depending on the quality of the pickup. Some pots/caps/pup combos turn to mud when you back off the volume.

Another option is a p90 style pup. I have the Harmonic Design S90 in a bridge of an Esquire style guitar and with the volume knob, I can get twang and grit.

11. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    I got a broadcaster for my build. Hope it works out (for both of us)

12. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    That is interesting!

13. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    Smith really nails all the leads on the old hits in that show. Extremely talented guitar player he is, no doubt he spends a lot of his time in recording studios.. Just make note the Eagles had to hire him to get it right..lol

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    My brother! I used to date her too!

15. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    DiMarzio True Velvet T. It's ballsy and articulate. It's a fantastic pickup and affordable too.

Golem likes this.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Eagles Inc. had to hire all of their musicians as they were Henley and Frey.
    Smith, is a genius at replicating their sound, as well as a fine guitarist in many other settings.
    BTW " Boys..." sounds simple but it's not, the guitar lines during the verse are hard to play and replicate each bar.
    Sometimes less is more and that piece is an ideal example.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.