Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Does your dog enjoy your guitar playing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Geoff738, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

As much as this one seems to?

My dog pretty much ignores me when I play. If he's feeling sucky/ left out, he'll come and put his chin on my knee. That's about it.

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

One of my cats is fine, the other runs from the room if I even touch a guitar.

3. tom2caster

tom2caster Former Member

Not a dog owner, but in warm weather playing outside the mockingbirds always join in.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Everytime I crank up my electric, our dog runs into the next room. Everyone's a critic huh?

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

If I had a dog, he or she would love my guitar playing. Just like all those ladies who always throw their underpants at me during my solos. When I played, the dog would dance like Fred Astaire, and we'd go on TV and become millionaires. Because that's how awesome my playing is, and...

What... huh... Aw crap. I hate waking up from that dream.

7. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

too cute...my dogs know when i pull out a guitar,were gonna be here a while..and start sleepin

8. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

mine seems to enjoy it. She sits down and listens and watches.

9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Hard to tell with all that howling.

10. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

My pup is kind of ambivalent about playing electric or acoustic. He just thinks that I should be paying attention to him instead. He's especially helpful when I'm sitting in one of the easy chairs where he usually sits on my lap. Not to good for technique to have a 60 lb dog on your lap.

Now congas he likes and curls up nearby. I don't think that he likes the bongos too much but he likes to lick the rawhide heads. At least that's as far as I let him go.

11. harleysr

harleysr Tele-Holic

Somewhat tangential, but..... I did a remote recording last night for a classical piano and tuba duet. The pianist's dog seemed very happy under her piano. It was fine until the damned thing started to twitch and snore in the middle of the second movement. Had to try to silently wake it, so it wouldn't ruin the take.

12. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

One of my dogs loves music. She will lie on your feet under the piano, and she especially loves harmony singing.

During a break at a neighbor's jam party last weekend, she went around and nudged each player as if to say, "Hey! You sounded good!".

I wrote a tune once and named it for this same dog. I'll sing the melody using her name (over-and-over) as the lyric. That's her favorite song, of course.

13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Not the current ones. The last one would lay on his side and wag his tail; sometimes one howl and then quit. That one was a music lover. New ones are snobs.

14. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

That is a great video in the original post. The dog is actually grooving to the music and not happy when it stops!

I can't really tell if my dog likes my playing or not. He doesn't leave the room. When I do a solo he usually comes closer howls. He might be trying to jam with me or maybe he's telling me to shut up, not sure. :D

15. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

My dog leaves the room when he sees me pick up a guitar. We have a parrot (African Gray) who listens intently when I play. Of course being in a cage makes it hard for him to leave!

16. Abe

Abe Tele-Meister

I've got two dogs, a Brittany and a mutt that's half beagle, half Rhodesian Ridgeback. The brit loves it when I play, because every once in a while I'll put down the guitar and he gets some time on my lap. He also likes it because the other one leaves the room and quits bugging him.

17. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure, I doubt either of my dogs enjoy my playing. I can confirm, however, that they strongly dislike the volumes I use.

18. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

mine do this too!

19. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Holic

No dog.. but Trem the cat usually registers his displeasure by leaving the room. Unless I have lyrics or tab in front of me, in which case he lies on the sheets. He is a regulation A4 sleeping cat...

20. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

Yes, I have a terrier that comes into the room to listen. No idea why really, probably for a good laugh.
    Before this one there was a big black gundog retriever something, that used to go up on stage and sleep in that nice nest of a blanket someone had made for her in the bass drum. She was born on a party and was always free. She got a bit hard of hearing later on.

21. colorado

colorado Tele-Holic

My friend's dog seems to. Comes in and lays down right in front of the amp.

But he might be deaf at this point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.