Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does your Church band have a "sound"?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by CapnCrunch, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Every church band I have worked with had its own voice. Some were more unique than others but every church should have its own voice and sound. If it doesnt something is wrong!!

Uncle Butch likes this.
  2. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I used to be in the praise band. We had our own sound. Out of tune, off pitch, wrong chords......

3. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    :lol::lol::lol:

4. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2005
    Abbotsford B.C.
    I went to a small Church Worship seminar recently. the variety of people in the room was amusing (Older, Younger, Opinionated, Traditional, and some Southern Rock Rebel Theologian who things Churches needs more Bluegrass/Punk Gospel jams... Why even let that guy in the door?)

Anyway, most church worship leaders simply didn't get that:
    You work with what you got = or with whatever God gives you for a season.

This obviously hasn't been much of an issue the last 500 years. But NOW it is. If God seems to guide a a bunch of Young Punk musicians to your worship team, then guess what? That might be the flavor of the day. Same goes for a Church that might have 10 elders who recently retired from the London Symphony Orchestra. Or a bunch of Folk music hippies take over your worship for a season. so be it.

I think it's healthy to let your music flow into available styles. Its amazing how many different ways you can play AMAZING GRACE or BECAUSE HE LIVES. (my Wife and I try to make every Christmas song sound as if Little Feat is currently Jamming in the building.)
    Although sadly, many people come to church specifically because what is classically known as traditional Church music. It is a sad day when that is so quickly discarded. I love a good organ hymn sung with a choir.

PastorJay and mRtINY like this.
  5. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2004
    Newly Indiana
    I love hymns too (choirs not so much) and your Little Feat comparison. There's a lot of bandwidth in the Kingdom if everyone will just be gracious and loving.

I'm looking at putting together our area's first Christian Blues Fest but not sure I can find enough good players. If it comes off it will be a lot of fun hearing Muddy/Willie/Leadbelly/Clapton/Keef styles of laying it down for the Lord.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  6. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Not my experiance at all! In fact some of the Church bands round here would bury most any secular club band. World class players super tight arangments monster vocals and many of us have toured and made a living playing music in the past. Round here in these larger churches you better have some serious chops if you want to play in these teams!

7. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    We've had periods in which we had two different worship teams with very different sounds--one that really sounded like a 5 piece guitar driven rock band--with all professional level players. The other team was piano and/or acoustic guitar driven with a musical genius piano player. These days it really varies week to week depending on who's available. Working on getting more stable in terms of musical leadership again.

8. GoldieLocks

Sep 25, 2005
    Abbotsford B.C.
    We did that for almost 10 years here: Christian Blues Weekend music festival. WE had just about every big name in Christian Blues show up (Mansfield, Keaggy, Taylor, Kaiser, Sojourners, etc) And my band played almost every year. Tons of fun.

The problems: Sponsors and attendance.
    If it wasn't for the Christian Bikers associations. It would have died quicker than it did. But I miss it dearly. Big Big fun. (and I'd make it WAY MORE focused on the Gospel).

9. ravindave_3600

Apr 30, 2004
    Newly Indiana
    Sounds like you know whereof you speak!

My thought is to line up four decent local bands (with either a following or from churches large enough that some of the congregation might show up) for a fun day in the park. Maybe include a fundraiser for the rescue mission. Self-promote, self-provide PA, work with the bands to contribute backline, and I have access for making stage banners. Thanks for reminding me of Road Riders and F.A.I.T.H. Riders. You may need to plan a trip to Indiana in mid-May or early June!

GoldieLocks likes this.
  10. GoldieLocks

Sep 25, 2005
    Abbotsford B.C.
    I'd love to drop by your Bluesfest. The best ones i've been to were simply at people's farms. No rules, no security, no volume restrictions. Just loud Church goers having fun.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  11. ravindave_3600

Apr 30, 2004
    Newly Indiana
    Preach it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.