does your brain compute this lick ?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by johnny k, Feb 14, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

The thing starts at 2'43

I can t get it down for some reason. Must be the weird rhythm which I don t understand. Is there any logic in that ?

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Pretty standard metal riff and rhythm, use palm muting.

The stuff he plays before that from the beginning is more complicated really.

3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I can play the beginning of the song, at maybe 80 % of the speed, and i m stuck here. It s the rhythm which i have trouble with. I don t find any logic in it. I m just going to learn it bit by bit.

4. radiocaster

Yeah the notation is weird, but hearing it it doesn't seem as complicated. Try beating it on a desk or doing it with your voice, it doesn't seem as complicated.

Wildcard_35 and johnny k like this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

how did cookie monster get to sing so high?, his underwear must be too tight! just kidding

johnny k and t guitar floyd like this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Those are some triplets that are throwing you. I don’t know that I agree with the tabbing of that rhythmic structure.

brogh, johnny k, DugT and 1 other person like this.
  7. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

to me it sounds like a rumpa-tump-tump-tump, rumpa-tump-tump-tump rhythm borrowed from military music - the rhythm of a snare drum in a marching band. what he's playing seems to have at least two variations - different versions of that sort of rhythm - but the idea of just beating out the rhythm with your strumming hand sounds like it might help; got a drum around?

Wildcard_35 and johnny k like this.
  8. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

delete

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    johnny k likes this.
  9. bftfender

the tab is weird..think there is a back stall of a sort..a pause a back pick..it looks like he wrote it out as a triplet then 2 single note..its the pause/timing i believe that makes the rythmic thing happen..when we do this stuff live, i stand right over by the drummer and lock in

johnny k and Wally like this.
  10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Whatever genre, if you are having a problem grocking a complicated rhythmic figure, get the rhythm first ... by muting all the strings with your left hand and use the muted strings like a percussion instrument ... just pick or strum the rhythm on the muted strings until you sync up with the video. Once you can "drum" the rhythm perfectly, add the notes.
    I find that easier and faster than trying to get the notes and rhythms at the same time.

11. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Thank you guys for the advice. I can play triplet, i just don t know when the E quarter note is going to pop. I m going to write it down like triplet, triplet, E, etc... It should work for me that way.

bftfender likes this.
  12. bftfender

hey quick idea, look up hardcore..metalcore,type beats and play along ..soon you forget you are playing and it becomes a natural in sync reaction to the beat

johnny k likes this.
  13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

This track reminds me why I don't like metal.

johnny k likes this.
  14. bftfender

i like metal

johnny k and radiocaster like this.
  15. radiocaster

The notation has that riff split in measures in a weird way which looks more complicated.

johnny k likes this.
  16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

It takes some time before you can like metal. I remember 15 years ago, someone would have told me if try to play stuffs by cannibal corpse i d answered no way ! it all sounded the same to me back then. And to be honest, i like the instrumentation but not so much the vocals.

radiocaster likes this.
  17. radiocaster

I used to be into punk and hated the high pitched vocals of 80s metal, I like a lot of it now, not really most of the well known bands but a lot of underground bands.

johnny k likes this.
  18. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    maybe it's my drummers past i get that right away... you have triplets there that might get you weird, count it in fours, i think what throws you of is that little lick at the beginning of the riff ,

the riff begins with one guitar in the background, the guy in the video comes in later in the verse at bar 2, the whole structure has a duration of 4 bars. count in fours listen to "mars the bringer of wars" by holst

cjeers

johnny k likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.