Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does Tremolo not work for anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Aug 11, 2017.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have a TR-2 and a Minifooger tremolo pedal. I prefer the Moog. I have no idea regarding the internal differences between the two,but the Moog works better all across the spectrum from clean to dirty. It also has 4 knobs versus the 3 on the Boss, and although I don't use the tone control all that often, it still seems to offer more control to really dial in what you're looking for.

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida

Ok, just send me your amp and i'll stop posting about this...

RetroTeleRod likes this.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    When I was younger I thought tremolo was silly. Now it's my probably my favorite effect. I have Fender amps with tremolo and I have 5 or 6 tremolo pedals (Fulltone Supra-Trem on one board and a BBE Tremor on another).

I don't know if it's important to list pedals......every tremolo that I have does something very well and none suck. The price doesn't matter either as they are all over the place.

There is an old thread that you should dig up (or start a new one). It was pages and pages of peoples' favorite tremolo songs. There was so much fantastic music in every genre that it really sparked the imagination.

Listening to some great musical examples that are all over the place would help (I think). Maybe you just need to connect the dots a little differently.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Uh, NO, and you can go ahead and post whatever you like. I was trying to agree with you that trem pedals don't seem to sound great to me either, but to suggest that what sounds great is the real amp tremolo which is a different animal at a different place in the signal chain. imhop.

bluesholyman likes this.

6. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

The secret for me is being able to dial it down in intensity so that it sits in the mix, not overwhelm it. There's a time and place for more 'out front' trem, but as with most modulation, if I can't smoothly integrate it into my overall sound, i won't use it.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Tremolo sounds glorious in stereo to me. The only good demo of stereo tremolo I could find was the Source Audio Vertigo. The bias trem at the 2:00 mark sounds pretty good to my ears.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I don't know many players that use it with distortion. A bit of overdrive, yes - but I don't use trem with distortion myself. It's mainly a clean-tone effect, at least around here.

9. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    If you feel like you're losing signal strength with tremolo, you might need a trem pedal that has a LEVEL control.
    That allows you to boost the signal a bit to help overcome the drop when the tremolo cycle is at its lowest point.

I've got an Empress Tremolo that I use with my Vox AC15-HW1 (no onboard tremolo with the HW models) and it sounds great to me.

Like Silverface, though, I use tremolo more as a "clean effect."

You could also experiment with where you're putting the tremolo in your chain - before or after your distortion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.