Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does Tremolo not work for anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Aug 11, 2017.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have a TR-2 and a Minifooger tremolo pedal. I prefer the Moog. I have no idea regarding the internal differences between the two,but the Moog works better all across the spectrum from clean to dirty. It also has 4 knobs versus the 3 on the Boss, and although I don't use the tone control all that often, it still seems to offer more control to really dial in what you're looking for.

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta

Ok, just send me your amp and i'll stop posting about this...

RetroTeleRod likes this.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    When I was younger I thought tremolo was silly. Now it's my probably my favorite effect. I have Fender amps with tremolo and I have 5 or 6 tremolo pedals (Fulltone Supra-Trem on one board and a BBE Tremor on another).

I don't know if it's important to list pedals......every tremolo that I have does something very well and none suck. The price doesn't matter either as they are all over the place.

There is an old thread that you should dig up (or start a new one). It was pages and pages of peoples' favorite tremolo songs. There was so much fantastic music in every genre that it really sparked the imagination.

Listening to some great musical examples that are all over the place would help (I think). Maybe you just need to connect the dots a little differently.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Staypuft1652 likes this.

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Uh, NO, and you can go ahead and post whatever you like. I was trying to agree with you that trem pedals don't seem to sound great to me either, but to suggest that what sounds great is the real amp tremolo which is a different animal at a different place in the signal chain. imhop.

bluesholyman likes this.

6. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

The secret for me is being able to dial it down in intensity so that it sits in the mix, not overwhelm it. There's a time and place for more 'out front' trem, but as with most modulation, if I can't smoothly integrate it into my overall sound, i won't use it.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Tremolo sounds glorious in stereo to me. The only good demo of stereo tremolo I could find was the Source Audio Vertigo. The bias trem at the 2:00 mark sounds pretty good to my ears.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I don't know many players that use it with distortion. A bit of overdrive, yes - but I don't use trem with distortion myself. It's mainly a clean-tone effect, at least around here.

9. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    If you feel like you're losing signal strength with tremolo, you might need a trem pedal that has a LEVEL control.
    That allows you to boost the signal a bit to help overcome the drop when the tremolo cycle is at its lowest point.

I've got an Empress Tremolo that I use with my Vox AC15-HW1 (no onboard tremolo with the HW models) and it sounds great to me.

Like Silverface, though, I use tremolo more as a "clean effect."

You could also experiment with where you're putting the tremolo in your chain - before or after your distortion.

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I love most tremolos (tremolii?).

RetroTeleRod likes this.

11. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Tremolo has really grown on me. Both my amps have it and I just got the tremor and have a Tremor. I'd like to try a harmonic tremolo next like in the video above.

I'd also still really like s Super Pulsar.

12. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    I agree with that statement. Tremolo mostly sounds good on clean or barely clipping tones. For the folks regularly using a trem here, bet you are mostly on the clean or slightly broken up side of things. For some reason, trem into a too dirty amp or the other usual configuration of a medium to high OD setting into trem sounds too effecty. Still nice for "How Soon is Now".

Currently, I've been using trem for Let it Be with one cover band and for Gimme Shelter with another.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I guess it depends on how you are using it. I have never had a problem dialing in tremolo tones for the things I would use it for: Riders on the Storm, Born on the Bayou, some Robert Cray music, slow blues, etc which are pretty clean settings.
    The one tremolo sound that I've never been able to nail is the distorted stabs in Money.

14. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I'd like to get my amp and tremelo to do just that (in and out of distortion), sometimes.

This amp is an AC15?

I run an Alexander Equilibrium in the loop of a Tweaker 40. Gets a lot of different sounds. Still exploring. It has tremelo, harmonic & vibrato settings.

15. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    I do love tremolo. Have a world class bias vary trem built into my Allen Encore. That qualifies as the best in amp trem I've heard. Still, I much more often use Magnatone vibrato (Bigfoot magnavibe). Works much better in a mix, cooperates with an on the edge of breakup amp in the coolest way. In a loud mix, it is hard to use tremolo. The two best pedals in my experience are the Suhr Jackrabbit and the Alexander Equilibrium. Both with great adjustment knobs. I prefer the Alexander in some ways, but the Suhr level is perfectly voiced, makes the jack rabbit effective even in loud mixes. Then there's the old CB Semaphore if you can find one ... another great choice.

Regardless of source (pedal, in brownface amp or outboard unit), I can't get harmonic style trem to work. Sounds great alone. In a loud mix, disappears.
    MD

16. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I use Tremolo quite a bit but only in a Classic sense. Think Dwain Eddy or some of the classic 50's and 60's song parts. I do have a DIY DR amp with the bias trem witch I agree is King. Also got a Dunlop Stereo Pan and a Danelecto Cool Cat trem also good. Happy Tremming y'all! Platefire

17. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Canada
    Not a really big trem guy... not sure why. Probably never will be.

18. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The only good tremolo I've heard was on records.
    When I try it, it just sounds like a helicopter

thefruitfarmer likes this.

19. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nov 5, 2013
    Roma Urbe
    That is not a tremolo to my ears, but more a repeat effect like the old Vox Repeat Percussion:
    http://www.google.it/url?q=https://...IwAHoECBUQAA&usg=AOvVaw3yMoo0cNcPhRAZa3bbqsrl

I got close to that effect by tweaking the gate on a Boss BF-3 flanger, but the decay was too short (probably needed some compression/sustainer in front of it)

20. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    so many flavors maybe....? some pedals and are and are not compatible.
    Pop Staples alway use his so well , just enough never to much. If this is of interest
    https://reverb.com/p/demeter-tremulator

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.