Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does Tremolo not work for anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Aug 11, 2017.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    I have tried several different tremolo pedals, loved the tremolo on the Vox AC15, but I can't get my amp to play well with a tremolo. The pulse takes the amp in and out of distortion on any reasonable depth, other than that it sounds too shallow. In front or in loop, similar issues...

Anyone else have a similar experience or care to point out what I might be doing wrong?

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'd have to say that I don't use it like anyone that I know. I just like a slow roll in the background, so I set the speed to zero and the depth to about 3. It doesn't take long before some smart ass will say, "Hey, your tremolo is on." I'll just say, "You hear it too?"

RoscoeElegante and BuckSatan like this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Does your amp have an effects loop? Stick it there?

4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    This is why I only use bias modulating trem built into my amp. A hard signal will actually override the trem pulse when the amp is cranked and dirty. The attack of hard picked notes or chords is always heard and the trem comes back progressively as the chord fades. Always sounds good to me.

5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    What amp do you have? Wondering if the AC15 does a similar thing....

6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Nope, ac-15 is an opto coupler. I have a 60s Gibson, but a more common (and better) example would be a fender princeton.

7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    Tried the loop, kinda messes with the sound in a bit of an unpleasant way....I think this amp just may not be tremolo friendly....

8. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Brian Jones used tremolo to good effect on Mona, but I have never managed to get a tremolo to sound as good.

9. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I like my Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter a lot. You have tremendous control over the sound. If you don't like like tremolo after you've really tweaked the SS, then you really don't like tremolo. But if you like it, there's a good sound in there for you somewhere.

bluesholyman likes this.

10. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2014
    AZ
    Picked up a Pigtronix Tremvelope a couple of months ago. It is my first trem pedal. Finding a lot of usable sounds with it. Subtle or over the top chop. Pretty versitle. It is an opto coupler style. Using it with a 5F1 circut. pigtronix-tremvelope-3__wwg.jpg

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    There are so many tremolo pedals out there to choose from that it makes it difficult to find the one you like. It is not the amp. I suggest trying an inexpensive, used trem pedal with both wave patterns and a blend of the two to see what you like. Then go find the trem pedal of your dreams.

From someone that went through many trem pedals and now is tremolo happy.:)

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hated tremolo when I was younger.... now all the traditional stuff sounds good to me...

13. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    why do you think you have to have if it all sounds bad anyway? Maybe you just dont like that sound?

14. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    My trem pedal sounds a lot better through a second amp. I was struggling to find a sweet spot between "overbearing" and "not enough" but having it through a second amp makes it a lot easier.

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Try altering where in the signal chain the tremolo is. I struggled to get a good sound from mine until I put it after the compressor, before the wah and everything else.

16. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    I use a lot of tremolo. When you think about it, it's about as simple electronically as pedals get: just a pulse tied to a volume control and the waveform of the pulse determines how smooth the effect is. Nevertheless, some pedals do sound better than others although I don't think you need to spend a fortune. I have two, the Strymon Flint and a Carl Martin Surf Trem. I don't think the Flint sounds any better than the Surf Trem but it has more options and is loads more expensive although it is a Reverb effect too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Surf Trem as great pedal at a sensible price. Anything that comes after the tremolo and causes compression - be it an actual compressor, an overdrive pedal or an amp running out of headroom is going to defeat the effect to a greater or lesser degree (although that can sound good in its own way) so you need plenty of clean headroom to get the best from a tremolo.

17. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    This could be a significant part of what I don't like so far - I run the amp right at the edge of breakup and have only experimented with the tremolo at this setting. So that amp goes from soft clean to louder breakup - its interesting, but so far not appealing to me...probably need to fiddle more and may dial some things back when Tremolo is on...

18. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    Watch this please. Its a long watch but its kinda worth it, besides... Joey is great. But take a listen to that harmonic trem stuff.

ndeli55 likes this.

19. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I love the bias trem on my amp and have never heard a pedal that comes close to it.

Jakeboy and Chicago Matt like this.

20. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I love tremolo but also have problems making it work for me. I use it on clean tones and sometimes have trouble hearing it in the mix. Here's my 2 cents on the pedals I've tried.

EHX Pulsar - hard to dial in a "vintage" sounding trem on this one. It adds an unpleasant brightness to the high end in my ear-pinion.
    Boss TR-2 - sounds good but usually doesn't cut through the mix enough for me.
    Black Cat Mini Trem - Great sounds, Cool half/double Speed switch, Added Tone and Boost controls are a great idea. You can dial the tremolo depth and speed out and then it will function as a boost pedal.
    and my favorite...
    Mr. Black Deluxe Plus - the sound in my head when I think tremolo...plus an awesome Reverb to boot!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.