Does this look like a genuine 67 Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tele_savales, Oct 26, 2018.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

If you want the amp I’ll give you his email. I’m trying to learn more about Fender amps since I owned some early 60’s ones in the 80’s when I was a kid, so I’m asking questions, because for 30 years I’ve been into vintage drums.
    I know enough to know this one isn’t completely original, clearly. I appreciate your help w my wiring question a few weeks ago. I can’t think of any other amps I been secretive about to the forum members.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hmm. In that case, I have made a grave error, confusing you with someone else's posts on this subject. Sheesh, I'm sorry.

No, I don't want the amp. I already have one LOL.

3. admsx

admsx TDPRI Member

I would just pass and wait for one that doesn't need so much overhaul, unless YOU are the amp tech and you love that kind of tedious stuff that makes me want to drink.

4. admsx

admsx TDPRI Member

I'm actually trying to figure out a way to build a micro super reverb, like a 4x4in, something that can fit on a desktop as like a practice amp, but all tube, and with spring reverb. Its probably not even possible. I would want it to be like Yamaha THR-10 genre size.

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

That tranny's date code puts that component at mid 1969, but that can be different from the actual assembly date by as much as a few months. Those huge power resistors on the power tube sockets are fairly distinctive to the AB568 circuit, they were removed on the official AA1069 layout. Based on that data and not having access to check other dates, it's likely a 1969.

The important thing is whether you like it and think the price is right, not what we think. Just budget an additional couple of hundred bucks to your total purchase price to have it properly serviced if you intend to play it.

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The amp is the AC568 circuit and was built in the first 9 months of 1969....before the change to the AA1069...October, 1969. This was the first CBS-designed circuit for the SR.

Clean amp....and mostly original from what we see. The bias cap is fresh so perhaps the filter caps are, too. That is a good thing. Speakers and the other tranny dates are of interest. If it were near me, I would want to look and hear.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    King Fan and BobbyZ like this.
  7. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

some of my fave sounding amps have been the drip edge ones, including a 100 dollar showman head that just explodes like a marshall, just awesome, of course i,m no tech so somthing could have been done to the ones i have. 'i,m not a smart man jenny'

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  8. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

dont worry moosie, im on track to win the gold for 'grave errors' on these threads.
    even though i,m trying not to blow it!

moosie likes this.
  9. Wally

Since this thread is about the SR circuit, that AB763.....July, 1963....was in use unchanged until the AB568 circuit was introduced in the summer of 1968.
    CBS took ownership of Fender on January 4, 1965. The AA/AB165 circuits....Bassman, Pro Reverb....were introduced in January, 1965 and were in the works earlier. I do not consider those to be ‘CBS’ circuits....even though the dates coincide with ownership. Fwiw, the ‘165’ in those schematic designation indicates January, 1965. I doubt the amp designs were drawn up immediately upon transfer of ownership...but rather were in the works prior to that change. The changes in the Summer of 1968 are the first CBS designs, imho.....and those first circuits, such as the one in the amp in this thread, were perhaps the most disastrous changes ever made to the classic BF circuits.

10. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i thought it was january 5 1965? my birthday is jan 4 thats why i thought i remembered!

Wally likes this.
  11. twr102

twr102 TDPRI Member

It looks like a 69 I owned, brown caps and plastic wire.
    Check out the parallel disc midrange caps in channel one tone stack. CBS counting the beans!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  12. Wally

Agogetr, I started to give a 4th or 5th option...... I should have done the quick check. It was January 5, 1965.

13. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Sure, but the issue is also what you pay. The market for an all original 67 drip edge silverface Super is different from a later model.

Buy the amp because it sounds great. But make sure you’re not overpaying too.

dannyh likes this.
  14. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great stuff, Wally, thanks.

Just to get it through my thick head, are we saying *no* Fender amps had CBS production changes prior to summer 1968? Or are we talking about only the AB763 amps (hmm did they all change to 568 or just some, sorry, duh)? Or just the Super Reverb itself?

15. Wally

King Fan, those schematic date codes tell the story, imho. The ‘63 and ‘64 schematics were pre-CBS. The AA/AB165 schematic codes indicate January, 1965. Those early ‘65 schematics include the two Bassman circuits and the Pro Reverb, which was a totally new amp.
    That coinincides with the very beginnings of CBS ownership, but I consider those to be pre-CBS designs. I hold that the first true CBS circuit changes took place in the summer of 1968. There were no new circuits between those AA/AB165 schematics and the May, 1968 circuits. I hold that all of the BF amps built from January, 1965 through March, 1967——with a few BF leftovers built after April, 1967....and all of the SF amps built between April, 1967 and May, 1968 are pre-CBS designs and that all of the amps built from the summer of 1968 on were designs that were created after CBS took ownership. That is what makes sense to me, anyway....ommv.
    https://schematicheaven.net/m-fender.html

agogetr, King Fan and LuthRavin like this.
  16. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

Leo was done, a guy here worked at fender during that time he said the theft was so bad they called in the FBI! i want to go interview the guy before he passes, he told me who in the company was nice and who were jerks. i,m sure if i printed his story i would be ridiculed! he is the real deal though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.