Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Does the "Ashtray" affect the sound

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by peterpicker, Nov 17, 2010.

1. peterpicker

peterpicker Tele-Meister

Oct 24, 2010
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    I was just sittin' here wondering whether the ashtray over the bridge PU causes a different sound, because it is steel and might alter the magnetic flux of the pick-up and moving strings :?:

2. alabaster

alabaster TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2010
    United States
    As far as i know, if you get steel saddles on the bridge, it doesn't really change much. If youre putting on brass saddles however, it's supposed to help out sustain-wise (brass is heavier than steel).

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Say what?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    Only if it's full of Lucky Strikes...becomes muted...

6. alabaster

alabaster TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2010
    United States
  7. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    The ashtray cover can help shield the bridge pickup, so it can make the rear pickup quiter. It also prevents you from resting your hands on the strings and saddles. But really, it doesn't do much to change the tone.

8. thejerk

thejerk Tele-Meister

You have to really be splitting hairs to worry about the change in tone from putting on or taking off the ashtray!

9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Try an experiment. Play your guitar, then put on the ashtray and play it some more. The difference you hear is the difference it makes.

I've never heard any difference, but you might have better ears. ;)

10. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2010
    Beltsville, MD
    Yes, it makes it impossible to play, at least for a yutz like me who rests his hand on the bridge to palm mute the strings.

11. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    My tone sucks if I can rest my palm on the bridge. My hands shake too much. I need the stability.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.