Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Does neck thickness matter for playing slide?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by jasburbak, Feb 13, 2013.

1. jasburbak

jasburbak TDPRI Member

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a new Gibson SG, which will be setup exclusively for slide- but they only come with a slim 60's neck. The problem is, all my necks are Nocaster to Baja thick. Anything less, and my hands start to cramp up. Thats not really the case with slide hand positioning, but that damn thumb aches with anything thats thin...

Any slide players out there that can tell me of any percievable comfort/discomfort when playing slide on a thin neck?

2. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

it makes little difference to me, and i can't see why it would. my slide-hand touch and positioning is, of necessity, very light.

if you are used to acoustic slide, and really hitting it for volume and slapping it around, i suppose it could be a little too different to seem comfortable at first.

3. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

For me the neck feels fatter. I won't effect your slide playing almost everyone who plays slide has a SG

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

I've got a thin neck strat that's fine for slide, but I prefer my tele

6. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Holic

FWIW: The faded SG's have a 50's neck. The faded look isn't everyone's cup of tea though. The only time that a thin neck bothers me is if the strings are a little too close and it's hard to finger pick. I have only experienced that ONCE. Not just on one guitar but I mean, I got used to it it after a little while. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

7. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

almost everyone who plays slide has a SG

Really?

8. jasburbak

jasburbak TDPRI Member

Yeah, i've played them, and while the neck is great for me (standard playing), the faded SG look really doesn't do it for me. But since, im looking for slide, and the neck apparently doesn't effect playability, its a shiny red one for me!

Well....almost everyone who's a Derek Trucks fan...like me :grin:

Well, no one seems to have a problem so that's good enough for me :p Thanks folks!

9. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

When I play my Bottleneck style, I still fret with my fingers quite a bit. A skinny neck would definitely bother me.

10. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

It's kind of true. A lot of slide guys play on SG's or LP's

11. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

I wouldn't think neck shape would make as much difference with slide...although some players fret traditionaly a good bit of the time when you're sliding you aren't putting pressure on the neck with your thumb (or shouldn't be) so that discomfort will be eliminated.

12. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Well....almost everyone who's a Derek Trucks fan...like me

It's kind of true. A lot of slide guys play on SG's or LP's

That's not 'almost everyone' though, is it? ;)

Big DT fan here so I'm kidding around, but honestly I don't see all that many people playing slide on SGs.

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer National / Supro and Teisco guitars for slide. I use a National Val-Pro 84 and a National Westwood 88 for slide, sometimes a Squier Tele Custom. Muddy did a pretty good job on a Tele too...

14. jasburbak

jasburbak TDPRI Member

Which is good, wouldn't want to join the flock :grin:

Yeah, there's a great number of players that play slide other than SG's and LP's, Johnny Winter on Firebird, Clapton on Strat, Ry Cooder on pretty much on anything :D....etc...

But for that Duane,Warren,Derek sound, you need a Gibson-y guitar...nothing i've played gets there.. I currently have a Danelectro U2 and Strat setup for slide, and still, no satisfaction as of yet - for that sound I have in my head :p

I love those, my Dano gets close, but once I satisfy my SG needs, I know I'm going to go on a hunt for a Harmony H44 - those sound fantastic....

15. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Although I have two Thirties roundneck Dobros, my favorite bottleneck guitars are my early to mid 50s National archtop electrics, and my Kay. Nice fat necks!

16. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

17. jasburbak

jasburbak TDPRI Member

18. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Yeah I really dig it. It's only drawback is that with 4 pickups there's not much room to pick and it has sharp pole pieces that tear up my fingertips on long gigs.

19. BlueInGreen44

BlueInGreen44 TDPRI Member

I use an old Peavey T-60 for slide. That's about as thin as necks come and I like it.

20. Charlesinator

Charlesinator Tele-Meister

In response to the poster's initial thread, I find it a little un-natural that you actually prefer a thick neck. I'm not fond of the "ball bat" necks, but the ultra-slim necks bother me as well. As far as the tone goes ... Yes a thick neck would be better for tone. However, no one has mentioned one of the SG's most inherrent problems - balance. A thicker neck would probably make an already "neck heavy" guitar worse. Guitar choice is whatever one is shooting for. If you want to clone Derek, then a 61 SG through a Deluxe will provide you that vibe. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, if you want your own thing, play everything before making your decision. For me a flat neck is more important than a fat neck for slide playing. Also a guitar with easy access to the higher frets (like an SG) is important too. One of my secrets to increased sustain (that a fatter neck would provide) is an old 80's product, the Fat Head - a flat piece of brass in the shape of the headstock of your guitar. I've found that it definately makes a difference on Fenders as opposed to Gibson's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.