Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does Fender put 09's or 10's on new Tele and Strats?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Revelation, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Revelation

Revelation TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2018
    PA
    Just curious, I would think 10's but what do I know? :D

2. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Actually.009'sTeles have always come with

awasson and bftfender like this.

3. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    9's on my 2017 American Strat

awasson and jannodude like this.

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I don’t remember what is standard on what Fender model, but it definitely varies by model, especially the signature models. Squiers are almost uniformly .009-.042.

5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I’ve noticed a trend toward lighter strings being standard on new guitars. 9s seem to be the norm. I wonder how that might affect me down the road when I buy one used and try putting 11s on. Up until now, I’ve gotten away without having to do nut work, but I might be living on borrowed time. Might have to invest in a set of nut files.

dan1952 likes this.

7. Revelation

Revelation TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2018
    PA
    I just changed strings on my new Professional Tele and your right they were 09's. I put 10's on and I like it better. Besides having a slightly fuller sound the high E does not have that ice pick that the 9 string gave it.

Do most prefer 9's or 10's?

8. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    I started with 11’s but went back down to 9’s. I might move back up to 10 though! I want a little bit more resistance.

9. TelePlank

TelePlank TDPRI Member

Jul 7, 2018
    USA
    I’ve tried to use 10’s, but I just didn’t like them so back to 9’s I went.

jannodude likes this.

10. blille

blille Tele-Holic

The specific set is mentioned on the website for each model.

41144 and RoyBGood like this.

11. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    Nines. That means that on a Strat the original owner will have to do some pretty serious setup work to make the trem work right.

Smiff likes this.

12. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    From what I have noticed Fender puts 9s on modern guitars and 10s on vintage style guitars. There may be exceptions.

13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    That seems to be the "rule of thumb" for Fenders; the exceptions being the Artist Series guitars which are probably up to the individual artist as to what they want them to come with.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Well, one would think they would just use 9s, and cut the nuts for that. If you want to go to 10, general consensus is you don't have to alter the nut, but if you're a perfectionist, maybe you do. 11s and you're on your own.

Except I doubt there's any logic to what they do, and even if they string with 9s, maybe they cut nuts for 10s anyway.

Not singly Fender out for this, but I doubt they could even tell you. They're not killing themselves on the record-keeping, and I don't think there's a guy at the factory checking nuts for perfectly matching nut cuts.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    viccortes285 likes this.

15. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Some of us march to a different drummer. 10 on the high side, 11 on the low.

Straight 9s are too slinky for me, but I don't do heavy bending like a lot of players do.

image.jpeg

16. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

yes either 9s or 10s depending on the model.
    R

17. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think all the Teles and Strats nowadays come with .009 - .042 sets. Most Jazzmasters, Jaguars and the MIM Offsets come with .010 - .046.
    I changed my Tele to .009 - .046 to get better low-end when using Drop D tuning but I’m going to try .010 - .046 on there as well since I like the feel on the Jazzy.
    You won’t find a consensus on string gauge except perhaps on the idea that YMMV!

18. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Yes, I think you are correct. One of the exeptions was the George Harrison Tribute which came with 009s. They put it into the specs on their website.
    Changing one way or the other is not a big deal.

19. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland

20. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    This.

IIRC, most are 9's, but U.S.A. reissues come with 10's. Not sure about MIM reissues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.