Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does everyone think they are a realist?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by coolikedat99, Nov 20, 2017.

1. coolikedat99

coolikedat99 Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2015
    Texas
    So I've been called pessimistic several times recently, and I have put some thought into it and came to the conclusion that I am actually a realist.

Of course, most people would say the same thing.

Nobody thinks that their perspective of the world is skewed or unrealistic, thus most people would call themselves a realist even if they are obviously optimistic or pessimistic in the perception of others.

This also begins to beg the question of who is the judge of what is unrealistically positive or negative versus what is realistic.

Such a spectrum and such a lack of standard!

Is there an effective way to evaluate one's perception of the world, and is doing so even worthwhile?

2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Take a poll.

I'm a realist.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    You’re asking can a person shed their own preconceptions. The answer is no. The best one can do is recognize their own preconceptions and acknowledge the effect they have.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Talk about a thread that can go nowhere...:D:D:D

Fun topic! Just be careful. Don't be such a realist that your overwhelming pessimism starts to control reality to the point that you feel like your own mental process is not only predicting, but steering the future...o_O

Obsessed likes this.

5. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

I am a realist about how pessimistic I can be.

Dropoutjohn likes this.

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    The answer is, as TheGoodTexan stated, NO.

Does everyone think they are a realist?
    No.

Most of our brothers and sisters have their heads planted so far up their ass that they have no idea what PLANET they are on, let alone whether that notion is real or not.

They are too busy taking selfies of themselves, while driving and texting.
    :(

7. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    I AM REALISTICALLY PESSIMISTIC.

jondanger likes this.

8. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    My mantra is this:

I am optimistic about my future, pessimistic about everyone else.

Not sure if that defines me as a "realist" or not...

There is no set measure for defining what is "realistic," a.k.a "reasonable." People like to say that they live "in the real world," meaning mostly that they don't delude themselves in any way. I hate to break it to some people, you delude yourself somewhere about something. Therefore you cannot say you are always "realistic" if you're willing to slip into fantasy at some juncture.

Reason is relative to the person reasoning, and how far they are willing to go down a specific trail before where they end up upends their initial assumptions. Because sometimes "being real" means that you're in the wrong at some point.

Sometimes you validate your assumptions, sometimes after passing a curve where you begin to question there. Sometimes you're dead-right from the get-go. But just about as often as not, what you assume is not "reality" at all.

Likewise, reality depends on your specific circumstance. "Real life" in Vietnam is far different than "real life" in, say, Canada. The environment is different, culture is different, and so on. While this does not mean that all morality is relative, it does mean that how you deal with circumstances varies based on the environmental factors. Because, in the end, you are dealing with people, not static objects that respond in a easily predictable way.

9. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio

10. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    The term has different meanings. Philosophically, I'm a realist. The opposite position is an idealist. Most people are idealists. If you are a religious person you are an idealist, for example.

In ordinary speech the terms mean something kind of like "a realist faces facts" and "an idealist is optimistic." But in the original meaning the term "realist" refers to somehow who does not believe anything exists outside the known universe. There is no "ideal" existing somewhere else. For an idealist, there exists an ideal somewhere; perfect music, an ideal of beauty. If you are a religious person, that ideal is God.

I'm not a religious believer, so I regard myself as a realist: the real world we can detect is all there is.

Please note no disrespect meant to religion in any way. Idealism/vs realism is one of the great philosophical divides of human history.

This is possibly not the sense of the word the OP was looking for.

11. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    I am certainly more of surrealist than a realist. I am also occasionally cynical, but we all have nightmares when we dream.

src9000 likes this.

12. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I'll play. Leaving aside the (interesting!) philosophical questions, I sometimes say I choose optimism (idealism?) because "being realistic" is too depressing. So I am somewhat conscious of the fact that I delude myself to be on the side of "everything will work out," because I would rather live in that bubble than walk around all day thinking about how everything sucks.

On some topics, like the environment and the fate of the planet in the not-so-distant future, I choose to both a) stick my head in the sand and b)recycle etc. while knowing that is a pathetic drop in the bucket compared to what the planet needs.

13. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Pretty deep subject. When entering relations or a business deal, one should be realistic in the outcome. All outcomes. The ugly ones and the pretty ones.

I think its about expectations and covering all the bases. Its about being safe.

Mentally,physically or finacially.

14. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I'm sorry! I'm just too darn pragmatic to be a realist :rolleyes:

studio likes this.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Quite the philisophical discussion. I think a well rounded person can and should have a bit of both being a realist and an idealist, plus optimistic and pessimistic.

For example, I'm very pessimistic about the current world affairs, but optimistic that we can overcome the hurdles. So, at the same time I'm a realist for what is happening , but an idealist that we can make it through.

Like with my tele. I'm somewhat pessimistic about the ash body making much difference in tone, but idealistically I believe it can.

Now study your Kant, and get back to me in the morning.:cool:

16. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    I'm fairly positivist but lean towards structuralism

17. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    If we could agree on what reality is, then I could be a realist.
    In the meantime I stay with 'things are not always what they seem to be'.

18. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    This is the most depressing perspective possible. No magic, no agency. IMHO YMMV.

Sometimes I'm right there with you, sometimes I am a spiritual alchemist, trying to help people turn the coal in their mindstocking into gold in their soulpocket. That's social work though . . .

19. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I subscribe to a high degree of compatibilism.

20. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    I’m praying for the apocalypse. Does that make me optimistic or pessimistic? Well, it depends on what type of blinders you wear. :)

Obsessed and TheGoodTexan like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.