Does anyone like the look of non-tinted white maple?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Night Prowler, May 20, 2019.

1. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Tele-Meister

I happen to be a rosewood guy but I have no problem with a maple fretboard on certain Telecasters.
    For example I was looking at the specs and photos online of the America Professional series Tele in butterscotch...

Beautiful guitar with classic Telecaster looks, right down to the brass barrel saddles. Looks amazing except for the white looking maple board. It looks unfinished in the pics I've seen and just can't imagine why Fender didn't add a little vintage tint to give it a more classic (better) look.

This (American Professional series ) isn't the only example. Seems like most new telecasters with maple boards are on the lighter side but maybe I'm in the minority and guys who prefer maple actually like less tint and the whiter look?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a fan of pale untinted maple. When I see it I have the urge to tint it with some amber. It's easily done by adding vintage amber and tobacco brown to Tru Oil and just wiping it on. Looks like a ambered lacquer when done and any wear shows the lighter maple looking legit rather than the stained maple.

3. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

I suppose it works on some guitars, I just haven't seen one! :eek:

4. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Not a fan of maple at all. More of a rosewood/ebony fan. Smoother to play and can't stand the gloss put on any maple neck/fretboard.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Actually I do like that look.
    Probably looks like it did when hanging in a music store back in 195x.
    It's going to turn amber soon enough anyway, enjoy it while you can.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It's what Broadcaster/Nocaster/Blackguards originally looked like. White with a shiny clear.

Here's Don Rich probably early sixties, custom colour. You can't trust colour shots much from that era esp Kodachrome, but you can see his probably fairly newTele has a really white fretboard.

images (45).jpeg

This is my 78 501 (blond note, no 'e' as per 54)

Under the guard is the original colour these were almost white. The custard/mustard is aged. The maple where it was covered in the neck cavity is quite pale.

78_under_pickguard.jpg

So Fender with untinted boards is true to the originals

middy, Piggy Stu, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Where do you get the amber and tobacco brown and what product do you use? May do this on a future Tru-Oil finish...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I think that it looks great with pastel colors, and tinted looks good with darker colors. This LPB CV Squier Strat looks stunning IMO.
    product_2940.jpg
    Actually, the white looks great with the tinted neck too, so I guess I like both with any color body. I prefer playing rosewood though, because to my ears it has a rounder, woodier tone on the neck pickup of a Strat or Tele. I don't hear as much difference on the other pickup positions, mostly on the neck pickup.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I use the colortone liquid stain from stew mac mixed with water on unfinished necks etc. I have darkened already finished necks before by tinting the Tru Oil itself in small batches working fast. You have to use undiluted stain added directly to tru oil and go much darker than you think because the tru oil goes on so thin. It uses much more stain to tint the T/Oil but looks good when done.

From memory my last recipe was 8 drops of vintage amber, 2 drops of brown added to about 1/4 capful of tru oil in the tru oil cap which is more than enough to coat the whole neck. I had to build the desired color over multiple coats.

If doing an unfinished neck I would still tint the neck lightly first (lighter than you think) with the stain/water mix. Then apply untinted tru oil, then tinted tru oil coats as you build the finish adjusting tint to taste as you go.

For relic finish tele's I like to tint the headstock and base of neck darker than the back of neck blending the shades together. I tint the whole neck lighter to suit the back of neck, then apply untinted tru oil, then tint the tru oil and apply to headstock and base of neck only.

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I like it on this guitar - on the neck itself - not the fingerboard: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/firey-jazzy-caster-finished.814138/

11. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I think the middle color is my least favorite. A little tint is nice, but the natural paleness of maple is really attractive on certain colors like you said and some of the tint seems to go overboard and gets too yellow-y for me. The middle ground color I see on a lot of necks with rosewood fretboards is the best to my eye. A touch of Amber, but still largely untinted.

12. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I don’t mind the pale white maple necks, and I prefer it on my Silverburst telecaster (which is another divisive color choice).

13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    I'm more of a tinted fan I guess, although I am happy with the way my pale 1996 Standard Tele’s neck has aged...

IMG_0546.JPG
    52 Tele 2017.jpg
    IMG_0946.JPG
    SE edit.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG

14. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes I do. More paler more better where maple is concerned. Let it age gently for sure, but I do not want my maple tinted.
    YMMV!!

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That pale whitebread maple looks sorta pasty and sickly and certainly supersquare to me

Telecaster88 and WilburBufferson like this.
  16. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

I got an inexpensive ESP MH203QM. The maple neck is pale, almost white. Combined with the white pearloid fret markers, it gives the neck a very clean appearance. Almost elegant to my eye. May not be for everybody, but I like the aesthetic.

[​IMG]

17. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I prefer the tinted necks...it has to have some degree of tint to it.I remember a lot of 1990s era American standard and Mexican standard guitars had super pale necks that I disliked but many of those have ambered up quite nicely as I see them 20+ years later.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  18. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

that burst tele American special w/ rosewood neck is about quintessential tele to me. its my goal tele. and can even be had fairly affordably now days. I like like light colored necks on light guitars and dark necks on everything else. fender likes to do the opposite for some reason. never really understood it.

19. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

i can live with the untinted maple but tinted sure looks better

rich815 likes this.
  20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

This is one of mine, I left the neck without tint and I think it worked.

However I had another one where I tinted the neck to match the maple flamed cap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.