Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does anyone know what this guitar is?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by brbadg, Feb 13, 2018.

1. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Besides being a fascinating picture,I'd love to know what guitar this is.

Attached Files:

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Love the picture!....maybe a 40's era Harmony?

xafinity and brbadg like this.
  3. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Looks like an acoustic guitar.

=)

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Looks to be a pre-40's Epiphone Archtop....maybe a Zenith?

brbadg, Nickadermis and Obsessed like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    IMG_2914.JPG IMG_2915.JPG
    Epi has been bringing these back.

6. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Looks like some model of 1940's Harmony to me. The headstock sure looks like a Harmony. Possibly a Monterey.

xafinity and brbadg like this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Could be a Vega.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. jdgladw

jdgladw TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    It sure looks like an old Epi Zenith that I once had except for the tailpiece and what appears to be a mini-pickup at the neck. I have only seen the trapezoid shaped tailpieces on Epiphone, Gibson, and Harmony archtops instead of the straight one that is in the picture. I guess it might have been replaced as that instrument appears well used and they all tended to break pretty quick. But that mini-pickup is interesting....it is much smaller than the Epiphone New Yorker nor anything Gibson used for that matter....that is really interesting.

I guess it is a good mystery. The Vega does have a straight tail piece, but the headstock and inlays seem more like an Epiphone Zenith. I am leaning towards the Zenith with a replacement tailpiece from maybe the Vega.

brbadg likes this.
  10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Looks like we have a winner, jdgladw ... 1940's Kay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I think you may have this right. It sure looks like a good match. That is one of the frustrating thing about archtops, they all patterned themselves so closely that it is hard to tell one from the other

12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Now, about that thing below the neck???

13. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    Looks like a Harmony, except for the tailpiece, which looks like an Epiphone. I'll go with the Epiphone theory. Many Harmonys and Epiphones were also sold with other names on them.

Here is a page with all the Harmony guitars:
    http://harmony.demont.net/search.php
    I just pulled my mom's 1960's "Stadium" (re-branded Harmony) guitar out of a 35-year slumber. The face and back have fully and cleanly separated themselves from the sides, and the neck is loose. I'll be reassembling it soon. For around $1000 in effort, tools, and parts, I'll soon have a low-end, questionable instrument worth (if I'm lucky) around $200.

14. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    Its a heavily modded 1959 Les Paul Standard - best ask the MLP forum for advice:lol:

15. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    There is an entire screenplay, with a grammy winning soundtrack, in that single photograph.

16. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
  17. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    This is from Dust to Digital facebook page. I'll just copy the print for you.

"A month ago, we shared this photo taken at the Sioux Tribe Fair in Rosebud, South Dakota around 1940. Many people inquired who the young woman was, a question to which we had no answer... until now. Thanks to a descendant of the musician, we have learned the performer's name was Rosemae DeSersa, and she belonged to a family of singers on the Rosebud Indian Reservation. With that information, we did further research which led us to this record: http://www.45cat.com/artist/rose-mae-lapointe a 45 of music by Rose Mae Lapointe who we believe is the same person. If anyone has this record or any other records by Rose Mae Lapointe or Rosemae DeSersa, we would love to hear recordings by her. Also, if anyone knows more about Rosemae's life and musical career, we would be very interested in that, as well."

18. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Oh and thanks to all who posted!

19. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

Yup. Cinema material right there

nojazzhere and brbadg like this.
  20. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Thank you !!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.