Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Does anyone know "Remington Ride"...

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Michael, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Michael

Michael Tele-Holic

... the way it's played by Freddy King? I have been working throught the picking OK, but can anyone help me with the chord shapes/positions in the backing rhythm? I really like the "stabby" chords, but I'm having some trouble locating them and would really appreciate some help. I've always had a hard time figuring out chord shapes and positions, and these are buried behind the crisp guitar. Before I drive my wife completely nuts with the repetition, I'd love a hint or two (or three!). Thanks.

2. dickey

dickey Tele-Holic

I play the original version by Herb Remington (got to meet him last time I was in Houston) Don't know the F.K. version.

3. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

The Herb Remington "Remington Ride"(that's become a standard in the bluegrass banjo world) is an "AABA" form song with I-IV-V-I-V on the "A" part and IV-I-II-V on the "B" part.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. chet

chet Banned

Freddie's version is a masterpiece of manipluation of tone.

I wonder how he got all those tones. Did he use different:
    guitars

amps

effects

mic placement?

It sounds like there's several different players playing different guitars/amps.

6. mr. lucky

mr. lucky TDPRI Member

hunh! I didn't remember that he did this tune, but hey I had the record.

It's pretty basic, A section is E7-B7-A7-C7, the turnaround is E-C#7-F#m-B7. The bridge is A7-E7-F#7-B7.

The rhythm section is really muddy, I wouldn't worry too much about the exact voicings, tenor and piano buried in there too -- but you can get the basic chords out of there.

The thing I want to grab for the first chord is 5th position E7, or 7th position works too. The rest of the guitar rhythm part works fine around that area, 5th-9th position, standard chord shapes. I didn't hear anything exotic.

7. Michael

Michael Tele-Holic

Thanks for checking it out for me, I appreciate the help. PM sent.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied

+1 with Mr. Lucky....with the caveat that the 'verse' line ends on an E after that C chord. FWIW, this is one of the 'lightest' tunes I have ever heard F. King play.
    Chet, those quick tone changes are the result of the Varitone on that STereo Gibson. Having had an ES-345 since I was 16, I am much accustomed to guitars that offer a great deal of flexability.

9. GERARD9415

GERARD9415 Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.