Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Does anybody know of a software like the old Line 6 Guitarport Online/Gearbox?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by brenn, Dec 9, 2013.

1. brenn

brenn Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    A few years ago, I subscribed to Line 6 Guitarport Online, using a POD Studio GX. You could download all sorts of song files with the guitar tones, tablature, original artist music tracks and even the tracks with one or more guitars ro the bass eliminated, to play along with. You could loop a section, change tempo, etc. and have the music follow the tab.

It was probably the easiest way to learn a song, especially lead , that I have ever seen.

Naturally, Line 6 dropped it.

What I'm wondering is if anyboody knows another product that has that stuff - I don't care about downloading the song specifi tones, but having the music tracks the follow the tablature and allow for looping sections and changing speed.

I have looked at Songsterr and TuxGuitar, but following along with the midi tracks isn't really the same.

2. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2006
    U.K.
    I've never tried this but it has a free demo. I don't see that it has downloadable songs however it claims you can remove or isolate the guitar with the software.

http://www.voxamps.com/jamvox/

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. brenn

brenn Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
  5. brenn

brenn Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Reviving this thread, because I think I found the answer I wanted.

Using the Jammit app Arcticman linked, above (free, pay by the song download), and a Line 6 Sonic Port, with the POD Mobile app (free) I can plug my guitar into my ipad or iphone, instantly get the correct tonemodel for the song I'm trying to learn, so the scrolling notes or tablature, loop sections, slow it down, etc. Basically it does everything old Line 6 GuitarPort, Gearbox, etc. did and it appears to be cheaper and work/sound better. Basically, my ipad becomes both a POD (I can input my ipd, output to an amp or headphones, etc.) and a song learning aid, like the Guitarport Online used to be.

I got the Sonic Port on sale for $50 at Musicians Friend and I am very impressed, so far. It also seems more solid and 1000 times easier to use than my pocket POD. If I want a new tone from the online database, I can just search and tap it right on the app and start playing.

Here's the Sonic Port at Line 6's site: http://line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I am told Line6 Gearbox stuff is obsolete. But I gotta say, I still love Gearbox, for sitting at the computer and practicing along with songs. Also it is fantastic for recording, so much so that I've never even tried my Mustang/Fuse stuff for that.

7. brenn

brenn Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    The down side of using Jammit and the Sonic Port is that it doesn't have nearly as good a song selection as the old GuitarPort Online. Once the online version died and quit letting me use my downloaded songs, I uninstalled the Gearbox.

Tonight I'm going to try the Sonic Port through my Lunchbox amp.

8. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
  9. brenn

brenn Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Not quite the same thing. I have rocksmith, which I have used once. I really need to get into it, at some point.

10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Same here. I don't even have an amp where I live now. Just Gearbox and PodFarm 2.5 Platinum or whatever that I got for $99 years back. Something like 90 amps and a gazillion effects.

I plug into Gearbox and there into my Mac. PodFarm and iTunes songs I'm playing along with goes out to my standalone TV speakers. Works fine.

11. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Bill, I could get along at home without an amp just fine, with only Gearbox and my Toneport interface. Well, except for the rehearsals that I host at times. But for my personal use, by myself, it does way more than I need.

12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Yep, my amps are in storage back in the states. Doesn't mean I don't miss the heck out of them though--old tweeds, a Princeton Reverb, '66 DR, Pro Reverb. and an '81 Super Champ.

Waaaaaaaaaahhh!

13. monte66

monte66 TDPRI Member

May 16, 2011
    staten island, ny
    bringing an old thread back to life.

I too used to use guitarport through my PC along with guitarport online for play-along. I was trying to find a replacement.

Jammit was spotty for me and i couldn't get it to work on my new Ipad.

What other ways are there to play through my computer? I have good studio monitors and still have my old guitarport.

14. monte66

monte66 TDPRI Member

May 16, 2011
    staten island, ny
  15. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Still very happy with Gearbox, and at home it gets about as much play time as my real amps

16. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2016
    Calgary
    I like Rocksmith. It has something like 800 songs in its library from classical to modern metal. Its a great way to learn songs.

17. monte66

monte66 TDPRI Member

May 16, 2011
    staten island, ny
    thanks guys! much appreciated

18. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Apr 21, 2004
    Southern California
    I still use Guitarport/Gearbox at home all the time. In fact, I only use my amp when playing live at jams, gigs, rehearsals, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.