Does anybody have a set of plans for a double-cutaway Gretsch Duo Jet?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ronnie-Earl-fan, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Ronnie-Earl-fan

Ronnie-Earl-fan TDPRI Member

Hello everybody! :)

I would like to build a copy of a double-cutaway Gretsch Duo Jet, and I would be very grateful indeed to anyone who can help me locate a set of plans - preferably to the 1960s specs, but this is not essential.

If there is anyone out there who has such a set of plans for sale, or who can point me in the right direction, you can contact me either through this thread or via PM; and thankyou very much in advance for your help!! :)

Best wishes to all,

Peter

2. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Hi Peter. Is the double cutaway not just a mirror of the lower half of a single cutaway ? In which case if you look at the various Gretsch threads on the go at the moment you will see posted .pdf files for duo jet and chet jet which is 1/4" wider. You should be able to extrapolate something from there.

What you need is in this thread.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/290376-duo-jet-template.html

although you will probably need to look at the neck tenon area to check that it is just a mirror of the lower half. I reckon there might be some mods in that respect. Good pics on the Gretsch site that you can enlarge a fair bit.

3. macaroonie

Looks to be a mirror of the bottom half right enough. If you get the .pdf from the link above and mess about in Adobe or even just with bits of print you will be good to go.

JETS X 2.jpg

4. Ronnie-Earl-fan

Wow -thankyou very, very much indeed, Macaroonie!! That is so kind of you, to point me in the right direction straight away, and even check to see whether the cutaways are symmetrical for me!! :D

Thankyou VERY, VERY much!

yours,

Peter

5. macaroonie

No probs Peter , I'm part way down the path as it is. So whats your plan ?
    Have you got a wood source ? Where are you anyway , the highlands is a big place.

6. LC100

LC100 Tele-Meister

Yikes!... Gretsch was brave putting that strap pin where they did on that DC. Quartersawn blank and little too much pressure and I can see the logsplitter effect taking over.

7. Ronnie-Earl-fan

I didn't realise that you were building a Duo Jet too! Good luck with that, my friend!!
    Actually, I have some really nice old pieces of mahogany lying around and have been wondering what to do with them, and those double-cutaway Jets have always looked tempting, so I'll see how I go!
    I'm in Thurso at the moment - do you ever get up this way?

I hadn't thought of that - you could be right there!!

8. macaroonie

I'm in Thurso at the moment - do you ever get up this way?

Almost never , sorry. Its quicker to fly to Latvia and there is more to see. Just kidding.
    Well its down to you to join the fray , keen to see how you get on.
    I think you will find that Nut , me and Flatfive are all doing what would be called interpretations on a theme. Its not that practical to carbon copy a Gretsch as a home build so you will notice some 'changes' although the end product will hopefully pass muster in each case.
    Guitarnut is a speedy builder these days and is moving at a scary pace. Flatfive has not started yet but he will in time and I am barely passed the arch top as you no doubt have seen.
    Have fun and if you need any speciality woods shoot me a PM.

Mac

9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

duo jet

This is all I have.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.