Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does anybody else check......

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telel6s, May 3, 2018.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Does anybody else check FedEx 38 times a day when they get the notification that their new amp is out on the truck for delivery?

VHT Special 6 head on the way.

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    At least that many times...

Hiker and PingGuo like this.
  3. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Oooohhhh!!!! It's just waiting for me to swing by and bring it home. :)

ReadyforPickup.jpeg

PingGuo likes this.
  4. YeOldeTeleDuder

YeOldeTeleDuder Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2018
    San Diego
    Heck I check that many times a day when it's just conversion bushings for 6mm tuners to a 10mm drilled headstock. Cannot imagine how many times I'd check for a amplifier.

Jackadder likes this.
  5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Oh yes my Morgan Abbey is out there somewhere...

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    Yes, when I got my 1st Gorilla amp : )

7. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    This is almost what I did, I say laughing. I won an Ebay auction for a DRRI Saturday. The seller required a signature to accept delivery. I work about 40 miles away so I really couldn't be there. I contacted him to see if he could get the delivery destination changed to where I work. He politely said no, so I said I'd work it out. I was able to get it delivered to my front door without a signature but I checked about every 30 minutes today to see if it was delivered. Yay! As long as no one steals it from my porch it will be there when I get home. Fingers crossed

8. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Annnnnnnddddddd...........She's Here!

[​IMG]

P90s sound like rock-n-roll. Crank everything up and play the opening chords to "Can't Get Enough" or "I Can See for Miles". Schweet! Unfortunately the Tele is on the workbench at the moment getting all new electronics but is included in the picture because this is TDPRI and not a Hamer forum.

From a whole five minutes of playing, the amp is much brighter than what I expected from reviews and YouTube videos even with the tone rolled way down. Maybe just a tube switch will smooth that out. I've got spare 6V6, 6L6 and 12A?7 tubes hanging around from my Fender amps to play with there. On first quick listen, I don't think the boost is something I'll use often; an OD pedal will probably work better for that. I've already read up on a few of the mods for this amp including a cathode switch to go from 6V6 to 6L6/5881/EL34 tubes. There are also so modes I saw to repurpose the boost switch and I'm sure there are ways to tame the treble if I continue to feel that way about it.

The cabinet I made about thirteen years ago for a 5E3 Deluxe and it houses a Weber 15F125. The VHT will be finding it's way into that cabinet. In fact, looking for an amp to put in there is what led me to the Special 6 (there's a thread from about a week ago that I started asking about options).

radiocaster likes this.
  9. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Great, Congrats!

10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    and when I don't have anything coming, I enter random numbers until I get a hit. Then I track that.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Congrats. Might want to wait and let the tubes break in a bit.

12. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The amp was sold "as new" with warranty but was a demo at a store. So it's already been played a bit.

(1) what's the fun of a tube amp if I can't switch a few around to see what happens? :)

(2) the internet says these amps react well to better quality tubes, even new JJ's much less NOS or ANOS. So I'll futz around and see what happens.

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    It is my only tube amp that still has stock tubes in it. It will be interesting to find out what you come up with.

14. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    I check it all day every day from the day I buy things. It’s all part of the addiction I believe.

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Love the antigua pickguard.

16. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    Congrats, I’ve heard good things about those amps.

17. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Finally somebody is good with the Antigua pg! :)

I did an informal poll on TDPRI a couple weeks ago and the antigua scored a resounding "man, that's frickin' ugly". So of course I used it anyway. I kind of like it against the time-darkened off-white paint and think it looks a little less garish in person vs. the head-on flash pictures I had showed previously.

18. Evil Funk

Evil Funk Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    Yes. I even RAN from my mailbox back to my apartment when i saw the UPS truck drive by.

Good thing too, as my $3800 Z Wreck had simply been left on my doorstep.

19. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    So just started messing around a bit. Popped in a Ken-Rad 6V6 and an RCA 7025. Huge difference - more than I was expecting. With the stock no-name Chinese tubes (dated 2010 and 2007 by the way - does that make them New Old Stock? :) ) the tone control on the amp had to be almost all the way down and I was still rolling back guitar tone. Of course that led to overall muffled under-a-blanket tone.

With the Ken-Rad and RCA the tone control is midway, the guitar's tone is more usable and the grind is smoother. I like.

Unfortunately,one of those tubes goes microphonic and squeally with the volume over 3/4. So more tube swapping is on the way because if I ignore the screeching noise I like the guitar sound behind it so want to be able to turn this little guy up to full or close thereto. I've got a 2nd KenRad (don't remember why the Ken-Rads aren't in my Princeton instead of Fender-branded 6V6 tubes) to try but nothing for the preamp that has a label as nice as that RCA (understanding that labels don't mean everything). But still a box full of mixed 12a*7 tubes to play with. I might have a JAN 5751 in my Super Reverb to try out. Hmmm. This is going to be fun!

Happy Mothers Day to all whom that applies.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.