Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

does any of you own a Ford Crown Victoria?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Well with 900 Euro put into the repair of my Mitsubishi Carisma, I'm looking out for a replacement vehicle in time. And a friend of mine told me that I should check for used cop cars since they are tough and dependable cars.

And searching that up I found that there's actually a quite large market for Crown Victoria's which were retired from Law enforcement but having said that, I'm not sure that I want to drive an old cop car even though they are actually cheaper than the civilian Crown Vics on the second hand market.
    [​IMG]
    A former cop car Crown Vic.

So does anybody have a Crown Vic and if so can you give me the low down on those cars?

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity

does it have a cop motor?...a 440 cubic inch plant?...does it have cop tires?...cop suspension?...cop shocks?...is it a model made before catalytic converters so it will run good on regular gas?

3. Blazer

Whoa, you're dazzling me with all that, if it's a former cop car I'm pretty sure the cops have taken out everything that could be seen as "classified" and I'm not quite sure what of the original cop-specs remain.

Also that picture I used is just a random picture that came from the image finder.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

I used to have a real crown victoria where the chrome strip gpes over the top like this.

[​IMG]

6. Blazer

That's a mean machine.

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity

ah sorry man...i thought this was a common quote everyone would know from the blues brothers film...sorry for the confusion

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Poster Extraordinaire

Mine was a '56.
    Duals out the bumper.

9. Six T. Six

Six T. Six Tele-Meister

Well thank you, pal. The day I get out of prison, my own brother comes to pick me up in a police car.

Attached Files:

10. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Friend of Leo's

With some autos, mileage alone does not tell the story, and only an hour meter on the engine would. Users like utility companies and police leave the engines running for many hours of the day with the car not moving, and all those reciprocating engine parts are still in motion and wearing out, and heat is still being generated.

11. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Higher output 4.6 liter Triton motor with different tuning via computer, rear gear ratio,heavy duty transmission,larger brakes, rear interior door handles and locks internally disconnected from mechanisms. The back seat will be destruction proof of solid plastic. Removed radio,computer,shotgun mounts and misc. in the center console will be removed so you might have to do some upholstery or custom interior work.
    I notice they are usually bought by security firms.
    A friend has one painted black, still has the rear mounted whip antenna. Slightly nicer rims and tires and a stealth stereo system in what was the console. Slightly tinted windows. And the rear seat replaced with one from a wrecked car. He has people slow down when we slip up behind them on the highway. It looks like a detective car.

The older beater models often get the last hurrah as a demolition Derby car. They are the last of the full-size rear wheel drive sedans with solid metal bodies. The Chevrolet Caprice is the other one,but that has been gone longer.

12. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I have a friend who owns one, and my folks used to own a Lincoln Continental (which is the same basic car under fancier skin). They're very solid cars, fairly reliable and easy to drive. They don't, however, get very good gas milage (they have a V8 motor/rear wheel drive transmission). All the usual used car warnings apply...

Tim

13. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

There are Crown Vics in the Netherlands? You wanna fill one up at 1.70 Euros!

I confuzzed.

14. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic

A buddy of mine used to have one. It wasnt in the best shape, but man did it ride smooth.

15. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

I've had a few rides in the back of one.

16. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic

I forgot to mention it was 18 years old and had about 200,000 miles on it.

17. boldaslove71

boldaslove71 Tele-Meister

The later model ones get about 23 MPH doing about 72 MPH. For a long road trip, its a nice ride. I think it was one of the last V8 rear wheel drive vehicles made in the USA.

I knew someone who had the station wagon version one..84 or so. Looked like the car from vacation.

18. Blazer

Yeah I already found out that owning a former cop Crown Vic is going to cost me in fuel rates, I think I'll stick with my Carisma for a while longer...

19. Dep

Dep Tele-Holic

I drove oone for years with the Sheriff's Office. They are great cars, very comfortable, but try to get one with the smaller engine, as they can guzzle gas if you have a bit of a lead foot.

Dep

20. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

No, I don't own one, but I sorta wish I did.

Dan R

21. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

I understand some of them are said to have gotten 23 mpg on a nice day.

But the one you buy will get 14 mpg. Are you really ready for that? I thought not! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.