Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does a 4 pole 4 way switch exist?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jonrpick, Aug 12, 2018.

1. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I've seen 4 pole 5 way switches. Is there a 4 way with 4 poles?

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Haven't seen one, no. Would you be satisfied with a 5-way where, say, positions 4 & 5 do the same thing?

3. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    I've searched for a 4 way super switch and found nada. As mentioned, a rotary switch or make due with a 5 way looks to be the options.

4. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Super switches are open, easy to see what's going on inside. Shouldn't be too difficult to make one stop at the fourth position. Probably just bending the metal contact just a bit, or maybe restrict the travel by shortening the slot (cutting your own slot) in the control plate. You could wire the first four positions, and ignore the one that will never be activated. Or as I suggested earlier, make 4 & 5 do the same thing, so worst case it does get switched at some point, at least the guitar still works.

If you do choose a super switch for a Tele, I recommend getting the narrow one from ToneShapers. The other ones ride uncomfortably close to any shielded cavity walls...

http://www.toneshapers.com/switch-5-way-oak-grigsby-4-pole-superswitch-narrow.html

6. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    @moosie

I've noticed the "wafers" on those switches are pre-punched for additional contacts. It make be possible to add a pole, or a partial one.

And this 4-way is for a Strat. Plenty of room.

moosie likes this.

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Or in your case, remove a position? Is that what you're thinking ?

8. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    Look at this 4 way to see what I mean. The wafer (my word for the phenolic or fiberglass "board" where the contacts are mounted) has the provisions already in place near the top of the switch. Even adding a single on/off that only opens or closes in one position could be very useful.

Edit: It may be necessary to buy two switches and scavenge parts from one to create one do-it-all switch.

1534655370247.jpg

9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    But the standard 4 way is a two pole switch. Are you saying you'll use those extra holes to somehow make two more poles? Not throws? Wouldn't you be needing a second wafer, and a longer axle, and essentially a whole new switch? :lol:

I apologize, when you first mentioned it, I thought you were referring to a super switch, and considering removing one throw from it, making a 4p4t. I still think this might be easier, if you're considering chopping up switches, because you already have the poles in place, and it should be simpler to remove one throw.

10. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I want more poles, not throws. A 5 way with a redundant or unused position wouldn't be desirable. The appeal of the 4 way is there are fewer available options for a simpler setup.

11. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I understood that. Sorry, I have no other ideas.

jonrpick likes this.

12. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    No worries. I'm running a 4 way Oak Grigsby switch now, and it's perfect for 3 singles. But I'll be going to an HSS setup soon and need to split the bridge humbucker when not in the bridge position. Hence the need for another pole.

moosie likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.