Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you use alternative tunings to your Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Oct 6, 2017.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Hey

I am mainly tuning my Squier Telecaster to E Standard but music i love is in many different tunnings. The lowered and upper ones. For example A perfect circle uses C# standard, which i use alot. I don;t known but downtuned tele sounds much better than other guitars in my opinion. I might go full retard and tune it down to B E A D F# B since i play a lot of Baritone 7 string :D Twang Metal ?

Even if im into Blues and Rock i still get deeper and deeper into experiments. A perfect Circle, Stone Sour, Deftones.

Do you folks always use E or Drop D , Else?

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I have never used alternate guitar tunings myself, but I definitely will once I've mastered alternate tunings on the piano - which I've calculated will happen on or around July 16th of the year 2078... assuming that "cryogenics thing" works out!

On a more serious note...

While I never consciously decided to "avoid" using alternate tunings, I haven't found it to be an absolute necessity either - most likely due to still being quite fascinated with all the things that can be done in standard tuning and since I continue to find new and fresh ways to apply it I guess I don't feel a "need" for alternate tunings.

But, that said, I am certainly open to using any tuning that I find beneficial to my musical creations, if or when I come across that "need"...

'

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Hey that's my birthday!!! I'll be 110.

AxemanVR likes this.

4. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    There's a guy named Keith something-or-other that has had pretty good luck with 5-string open g since about 1970.

5. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2014
    Toronto
    All the time. I agree the tele sounds pretty good in various tunings, something that the strat doesn't do as well imo.

I use the tunings listed above as well as open D (D A D F# A D) and open E

6. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    You have to use alternative tunning these to sound original... For example open E tunning made me play less and more focused on what the song needs (less tones and more soul).. and what about lovely modified drop D - DADGBB - (offten use by Coldplay and Radiohead)

7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I totally disagree with this notion.

Musical originality comes from inside your head, then you do what it takes to make it a physical reality.

Just because the notes are arranged differently doesn't, in itself, guarantee originality.

If a person limits themselves in believing that something like a tuning change will somehow magically open the door to something that has "never been done before" (i.e. "originality") then they are basically saying that the "standard way" of making fresh music is inherently less effective for creating something original, and that is a flawed way of looking at it in my opinion.

"Thinking outside the box" is far more beneficial as far as I'm concerned, such as using different altered chord and scale patterns as opposed to sticking with the basic same old major/minor stuff.

Sure, you can no doubt discover something new utilizing alternate tunings, but after a while they can lose their uniqueness if you're not being creative in their use, just like you can with standard tunings.

In fact, I'm absolutely sure I could use only standard tuning for the rest of my life and still create completely original pieces from it as long as I continue to be creative.

To me alternate tunings are like using stomp boxes; They can be used to attain a certain "phrase" or intervalic "effect" when deemed necessary, but we are still talking about the same notes after all.

It may take a little more work using standard tuning, but you absolutely can produce the same intervals as alternate tunings, although I admit that it may be much easier doing some things with alternate tunings as well, so it isn't always a "one side is better" thing.

Anyway, if you use alternate tunings to define your sound, and if that works for you, then it's a good deal!

Yes, Keith Richards is able to be original using his tuning, but I'd venture he'd still be unique regardless of whatever tuning he decided to use, even standard tuning...
    '

Telesphere likes this.

8. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not on purpose! :(

Reggie77 likes this.

9. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't think there is any particular reason to use or not use teles in alternative tunings - any guitar can be tuned differently to great effect. I do think that for instance A2 magnet pickups don't sound great in lowered tunings and that messing around with alternate tunings with a trem equipped guitar is no fun.

Personally I think simple changes to standard are best for me - Dropped D for stuff in D or for other reasons, dropped high D (high E to D) for frettable slide tuning- this puts the top four strings in open G but keeps the bottom in standard. In other words, mostly familiar but slide-friendly. I love the sound of open D but I don't find much real use for it in my playing. I would enjoy having a guitar permanently tuned to B standard or something but I doubt I would play it much. Used to own a 28.75 scale Warmoth baritone tele. Super cool but I just never played it. Eb standard is a nice sound and feel with 11s but the whole band has to be on board.

These days I'm realizing there is plenty to learn and plenty of sounds to make in standard tuning, and that's the most flexible for playing with others. I used to think I needed a Nashville tuning, a Baritone tuning, and so on. Now I don't care so much.

AxemanVR likes this.

10. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I've got my CVC BSB permanently in Keith Richards' (open G) tuning with 11-56 strings just for a Stones-style blasting for giggles. Goes straight into my 5e3.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I bought my tele for open G, but now I use open D, drop D, double drop D, capo on open D for open E and of course open G.

Maybe I need another tele?:rolleyes:

badfish_lewis likes this.

12. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Yes, you have to have at least three. Those are the rules.

Obsessed likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I tune the G string *slightly* flat.

Zeonoid and Obsessed like this.

14. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Interesting. In standard tuning, I always tune the b string slightly flat.

15. ButterScotchPH

ButterScotchPH Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2009
    Netherlands
    I use my Squier Affinity for Open G for stones songs, dropped d and double dropped D tuning for Neil Young Songs and Rage against the machine. I use 10- 52 gauge strings sounds nice!

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

We should jam, together with a guy who has tuned to pitch.

Obsessed likes this.

17. PC_Hater

PC_Hater TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    UK
    My Tele is in Open G with the 4 position switch.
    My newly acquired shockingly bad build quality and amazingly cheap 12 string Tele is in drop D - mainly because tuning the thing is _very_ low on my list of fun things to do!
    Sounds great tho'.

18. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    of course standard tuning is like 3,14 pe... but saying you are fine with standard and not trying anything else ever is like saying I m fine with candle I dont need to try starshine or fireplace light or even bulb

20. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I never said I'm "fine with standard (tuning) and not trying anything else ever" - I'm just saying that one isn't necessarily better than another in order to create something musically original - although I do admit that one can be more useful than another if you're playing a Rolling Stones song (I'm pretty adamant about keeping my low E string intact though).

Ok, so I told a little fib earlier by stating I never used alternate tunings. I did play around with them at one point in my life only to deem them "less beneficial" (to me) than just concentrating on the vast pallet of musical colors available using the plain old boring standard tuning, that's all.

In addition, I totally support the use of any tuning a person chooses to employ as long as it enriches their amazing musical journey...

'

Zeonoid likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.