Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you tell a bandmate they use too much echo

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by McGlamRock, Oct 4, 2017.

1. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I'd communicate observations pertinent to a band member(s) effects or volume. In such cases, I may just make a comment, "I see you love that sweet echo". Just to get a quick conversation going about why one may love the effect. It may change my mind. Who knows.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    You've never been in a band, have you? (oh, you just said that ;) ) Most band "leaders" rarely listen to criticism (suggestions)....especially from the new guy. Maybe after you've been there awhile, you'll have some cred. OP says their first gig is coming up....maybe leader will adjust echo down for that.

brbadg and thegeezer like this.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Bet that puppy's got SOME SUSTAIN!!!!!!

4. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Just start playing along to his echo, and take it from there.

5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I would immediately say something along the lines of, I think you need to dial in your echo a bit more subtle. If the guitarist is not willing to, he's probably not very good, and you're going to run into huge issues at different venues, if he's glued to 'his settings'
    every room sounds different, and many rooms will require adjustments of reverb and delay effects. A good guitarist knows when to do this on their own or at the very least is open to adjusting when band members notice it.

Also, being a guitarist yourself, understand he likes a wet echo tone, and you also need to work with that, but there's a limit, and when it's completely over the top, it's an issue. A nice wet echo is achievable, without being over the top, but it requires some dialing in, and if they're not willing to change their settings at all, it just comes off as being close minded. I find, generally, less experienced players often hide under those effects, and adjust them way too heavily. I've also generally found, that devices with 'presets' often set the effects a bit too heavy, in many cases.

haggardfan1 likes this.

6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    YES YEs Yes yes (yes).

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    With all due respect...and I know you guys mean well....but I'm afraid some of you are so reasonable and rational yourselves that you're missing an important point(s). The other members aren't saying anything. (maybe they have and it didn't do any good) No mention was made about this guitarist's other abilities. (is he an excellent player otherwise or is he lacking in other aspects?) And does he seem to be the kind of "leader" that doesn't welcome constructive criticism? (he probably doesn't, or OP wouldn't have written in the first place). Of course, this discussion may all be premature....let's see what happens at their upcoming gig.
    While I sincerely like to think I'm the kind of leader that can have an open mind about valid musical suggestions, I know myself well enough to know if a young, inexperienced player (NO comment on original poster) comes in and starts making various comments about how certain things sound, I might get a little defensive. I just don't have enough information to make any definitive comments. Again, all of this might prove to be moot after the gig......GOOD LUCK.....

thegeezer likes this.

8. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Don't

brbadg likes this.

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Buy yourself on auto-wah and have it on ALL the time. That oughta show him.

10. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland

He doesn't have to be good.He's the leader of the band!

nojazzhere likes this.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Are you a bit passive-aggressive, E5RSY?....;)

12. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    No, I'm not...YES, I AM...No, I'm not...YES, I AM...

nojazzhere likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

or

nojazzhere likes this.

14. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    Coffee. Keyboard.

15. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    :lol: Oh, lordy...that is THE BEST. I'm headed over to Reverb.com right now.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Isn't this similar to an effect Steve Hackett used on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway?....on Counting Down Time, I think?

17. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    Kick the kock in the ass

18. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    I'm going through this same scenario

5 piece; 2 guitar, key, bass, drum

echo/reverb = MUD

dunno why you would even have to tell someone; but it's exactly the same as 'volume wars' and ain't nobody got time for that!

I'm going to give it a couple rehearsals and see what else bugs me before I start in with suggestions; it's hard when one is not the 'band leader'...biting my tongue!

nojazzhere likes this.

19. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Maybe he thinks he's playing in the Cavern Club...<I'll get my coat>

Talk to him. Maybe he's used to being the only guitarist, so has more space to fill - and uses echo to achieve this.

Can you record a rehearsal and show him how he sounds?

Failing that, just repeat everything you say to him two or three times...

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I'll send over the guy I play with. He doesn't have a problem telling someone if he has a problem with what they're doing. Probably why we can't keep a drummer or bass player . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.