Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you tell a bandmate they use too much echo

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by McGlamRock, Oct 4, 2017.

1. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    not as long as Rock On is always in the set list. Then it makes sense.

grooveiron likes this.

2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

A David Essex trib band... now there's an idea!!!

grooveiron and drf64 like this.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    can of worms.

Usually, something like that, I figure let them go ahead... all that echo will push them farther down in the mix, nobody in the audience is hearing much of them at all... leaving all kinds of room for YOUR glorious guitar!

4. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I wouldn't play in a band where I couldn't speak my mind, much less anyone that didn't know when to restrain their effects.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

5. McGlamRock

Thanks everyone for all the input! Everyone sharing their experiences and suggestions is really helpful- and why I dig the TDPRI

This group is a cover band, and we don't have any good, recent recordings to make the problem seem more obvious to everyone.

I think I'm going to wait until our gig this weekend and see how that sounds. I like the other guy's echo during solos and certain single note lines. But now that I'm thinking more, he may just be forgetting to turn off his pedals after certain parts. He is the main singer and hitting pedals, playing guitar, singing, and remembering lyrics is challenging

6. McGlamRock

LOL! That sort of egomaniacal thinking was all that was in my head last practice- "Oh well, I guess my guitar is going to be the only one cutting through the mix!"

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

For a more subversive approach, how about if you do the same thing, and see if he says anything.

bendercaster likes this.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Does this guy do mostly lead? What's the instrument make-up of the group?

And have you discussed this issue with your drummer?

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Maybe that's his praise/worship band setting and doesn't realize he's not in the Jesus dome.

A truly phenomenal all-around guitarist I know was booted out of his praise gig for not using the level of reverb and/or delay the leader wanted (loads).

The leader had no problem letting him know "Yer-er-er-er-er fy-y-y-erd-erd-erd-erd..."

Paul in Colorado likes this.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The dotted eighth commandment.

MatchlessMan, MickM and haggardfan1 like this.

11. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    It's tough being the new guy and immediately seeing problems that need to be addressed. I would tread lightly until you get a good idea of the band dynamics.

A lot depends on this band leader. How experienced is he? If he's been doing this a lot longer than you, he may know he is using echo inappropriately, but he just likes it that way... I don't really get the impression that he's all that experienced and probably does need some help.

Is he an authoritarian type band leader? I played (briefly) in a band with a leader like that, and he can't keep a band together. He's a mediocre player/singer and he's the boss of the band (It's named after him) so he always has a mediocre band with rapidly rotating personnel.

I could only be in a band with an authoritarian leader if they were a kindly ruler, as well as an awesome, experienced musician and performer.

Good luck with it!

12. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    Hello McGlamRock I believe you might have answered your (own) question on how to approach the leader and his Echo issue you are struggling with. In the previous post above your said "he may just be forgetting to turn off his pedals after certain parts". If it were me I would catch him during a break and say something like, "I noticed that on some of the (song) change ups that I was having a slight timing issue and, not wanting to take anything away from your performance or the bands tight sound, would like to know, when you are playing (give song example) do you always use echo throughout the entire song? That way I can prefect my playing (timing) to your style.

If he says Yes he always uses Echo for the entire song then you will know it's not he's forgetting to turn the Echo off.

If things cannot be resolved and you can't live with the Echo issue then you, like the leader, have the option of saying
    "Yer-er-er-er-er fy-y-y-erd-erd-erd-erd..." to him.

If you are not happy on what you are playing, then you will not play your best and it will only be a matter of time before things come to a head.

Best of luck in getting this issue resolved.

13. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    I don’t know what world you guys are playing in but my experience is that bandmates are extremely unreceptive to suggestions regarding tone or technique, unless you’re carrying tons of cred.
    Better to wait and see.

BobbyZ, brbadg, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Word of advice (or actually, a past experience that I will share with you): I was asked to join a band as a lead guitarist a few years ago. The band leader already had a plan in place, already had a sound that he was striving for, and already had songs written and recorded. I thought the songs were boring, and I had all kinds of other opinions on how to make his band "better". He politely listened, then disregarded everything I said and stuck with his plan. He wanted the band to have a professionally-recorded CD, a professionally-shot video, and he wanted a song from the CD to receive radio airplay. By ignoring me and following his plan, he achieved all three. Looking back, I should have kept my mouth shut because he knew what he was doing.

There is a YouTube link for the video, and the song did receive airplay on about 40 stations (they were AM stations, but stations nonetheless). I will not share the link here, because I don't want him stumbling across it and tracing it back here, thereby seeing that I acknowledged being a bigmouth know-it-all (and wrong). My point is.... I forgot where I was going with this.

BobbyZ, kafka, Wrong-Note Rod and 2 others like this.

15. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Help him adjust it.
    [​IMG]

nojazzhere and Grux like this.

16. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

But for the fact you're the newbie it would make sense to speak up. I agree with your plan to see how it goes for now. I think a LOT of guitarists use too much gain, reverb, echo, effects on stage.
    Sounds fine when playing alone at home, sounds terrible live. It's a good reminder to me. I just set up a new Eventide H9 with lots of cool effects. I haven't yet used it with the band. My plan is to use
    all of the effects very sparingly and mostly stick to my straight up tone. I think it's possible to be more aggressive with effects when playing lead or single note lines. Definitely need to back off a lot when
    playing rhythm, unless you're the Edge and an effect is the whole basis for your rhythm. In my case I have another guitar player and a keyboard player so the last thing I need to do is thicken up the sonic space of
    three band members with more echoes. Wah is a bit different in that it doesn't thicken, just changes the sound. But too much wah is too much-- must be used sparingly for sure....unless you're Wah Wah Watson.

17. Back in "65 or "66 there was a trio from Dixon, Ill (or thereabouts) Everything went thru Space Echos or something, Lead (only) guitar, Bass, Drums an Vocals. Was different but pretty crappy sounding - at least you couldn't tell if someone made a mistake !

18. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Nah,this never works out.You'll be out on your butt quicker than you know it.
    Just find another band if it bothers you that much.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

19. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    My band leader is the bassist (married to the singer and he's actually a better rhythm guitarist than bass player). He knows what works and what doesn't and usually finds the right key and basic accompaniment on acoustic guitar.

I trust him for the most part and put fills where I think they should fall. He tells me if I'm hitting or missing. Sounds like the OP has hit a wall where the band leader is the issue. Might be a problem if they're not open to input.

20. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I am usually the one being told I’m using too much reverb. It’s nothing I get upset about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.