Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Do you tell a bandmate they use too much echo

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by McGlamRock, Oct 4, 2017.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I recently joined a band and the other guitar player uses a TON of echo for every song. A man's tone is his thing so I'm hesitant to say anything, but on songs where there are quick chord changes it really clashes (I hear it clashing with the horns and the keys). I'm inclined to just stay mum and let the clashing continue (I mean he is the leader and no one else is saying anything). It feels like trying to correct your boss at work- which never works IME.
    Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on this matter they'd like to share?

2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Nope. Our bandleader/guitarist uses a s***load of delay on everything, to the point that sound guys have asked me about it. I've been working with him for years...it bugs me but not enough to create an issue where I can avoid one.

nojazzhere and McGlamRock like this.

3. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I'd steer clear of that whole can of worms...worms...worms...

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I've said something about crappy tone to a band mate. I wasn't a turd about it and I think he, like many, are sort of clueless and searching aimlessly for their sound. He made some changes, just knob twisting for the most part, and really likes where it ended up.

I think it has to be said without sounding criticism and that's not always easy.

JustABluesGuy, Grux and thesamhill like this.

5. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Never been in a band, but you can't just politely suggest that he might back it off a bit? I always thought bands were a group project, benefiting from feedback of all the players, not just echo chambers for the leader's views :D

6. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    If you're the newbie in the band and you want to stay in the band, I wouldn't say anything......just yet.

7. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Just say...

hey hey hey your your your settings settings settings on on on that that that echo echo echo pedal pedal pedal are are are a a a little little little heavy heavy heavy for for for some some some of of of the the the chord chord chord changes changes changes and and and it it it is is is clashing clashing clashing when when when the the the other other other instruments instruments instruments change change change chords chords chords and and and you you you are are are still still still on on on the the the previous previous previous chord chord chord with with with the the the echo echo echo pedal pedal pedal set set set like like like that that that.

stinkey, BobbyZ, Tony Forman and 11 others like this.

8. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island

Turn the echo off on your keyboard! ;)

nojazzhere likes this.

9. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Don't tell me how to type on my keyboard, it is mine and I like it like that!! J/K!! chuckles!!:)

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Have you listened to board and house recordings to determine if it's an issue on stage but not for crowd?

If not a FOH issue leave it alone. If FOH issue, find a way to listen to a few as a band and see if he notices and fixes himself.

12. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

:lol::lol::lol:

TeleFunk Man likes this.

13. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    When it creates an issue like you've described...band sounding out of sync, creating an almost out of tune sound, you HAVE to say something. I've had a similar situation before, and approached it from a logical standpoint, everything was fine. Stay away from using words like "you" "your" "I" "feel", etc.

Next rehearsal try something like "The band is sounding a bit out of sync/tune right now. It might be that the echo effect is lingering too long, can we try that song again without it and see if that helps?" Obviously, it will help and everyone should feel good about it, without it getting personal.

14. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna keep quiet about it. My first gig is coming up this weekend so we'll see how that goes.

Preacher, that's hilarious. If I ever decide to speak up about the echo issue it will be via email, and it is going ot be this post verbatim, too funny!!!

Fred Rogers likes this.

15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Does he hear recordings and think it sounds OK?
    If so...there's probably not much to be done.

brokenbones likes this.

16. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Be kind when you bring it up, maybe don't demand a change but let him know how noticeable it is and suggest trying it a different way. If you're lucky he'll realize how much better it sounds without the echo then take credit for the idea thus keeping everything from imploding.

Another crucial question is whether or not YOU want to be associated with a band that sounds like relative sh*t cause a The Edge type guy doesn't know his pedals turn off too haha :twisted:

Unless your bandmate is Robert Cray, there is no one good enough to have anything but slap-back delay/echo anyway, but that's just my take..

17. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    I think you do. As @-Hawk- noted, some people don't have as much investment in tone as others and may just not realize what's going on.

I also think that no matter how new, you're in the band. Keeping your mouth shut early has the potential to set up a longer-term pattern of keeping your mouth shut.

Maybe chat one-on-one about it so there's no ego issue. If you approach a guy one-on-one and respectfully talk about a clashing echo effect and he gets nasty about it- you might consider that an indicator of what the future of this band experience will be like.

JustABluesGuy and McGlamRock like this.

18. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    You can ask in a friendly way, be interested what he thinks and feels ...

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I use a digital delay and it's on all the time, and pretty prominent. The band is a 3-piece and the delay makes it sound BIG, but I also use a tap tempo and it's in sync with the beat of every song, so it doesn't clash with anything.

Suggest to him a delay pedal with tap tempo.

20. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    while i wa studying studio audio it was pointed out that guitarists in general do not use time delay processors correctly this includes reverb, delay, phasing, flanging, chorusing, echo. and tend to drench their signal in the above , in the studio a reverb is used to achieve distance and ambiance to simulate a recording environment ,(newer tech will use convolution reverb to mimic a listening environment, a church, theater, hall etc) and the convolutions are laid out to respond to these algorithyms.

David Gilmour attempted to overcome this by having custom made devices (2 of them) that lock his reverb reflections and time associated echos & delays to match the timing of the music and lighting exactly, in escence locking to the time code to the reflections so they match exactly.

Rush's Alex Liefson bcame so dependant on his pedal effects that the producer of their last album had him play directly into the amp no pedals so they could get back to the roots of their music, and all effects were done post production, he did the same with Getty made him dump the 20+ keyboards he was using and told him to play bass, again all fills were done post production.

I am one to talk about plethora of ambient sounds, but I seriously spend a great deal of time dialing in my effects and tap them in or out sporadically for effect and dont run them all the time. I always start with a guitar into an amp be it, tube or SS, so i hear my guitar first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.