Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Do you really need a drummer?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitardvark, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2012
    we have no drums and we don't miss them at all. no BS. We use drumsticks on the dash of the car to double for handicap parking permits.:D

We practiced with drums this week and I tell you I dont miss drummers BS at all. We just practicing and the guy shows up with a set carl palmer would choke on. I think he even brought a freeking 4 ft gong he had in the van :eek:..Took 2 hours for the guy to set it up.Then we didnt feel like playing. We were tired from watchin him. Any charlie watt clones out there?
  2. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

Drummers come in all shapes. You just need the right one.
    p.s. I don't get the drumsticks on the dash board thing.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    What my predecessor said.
    The right drummer is hard to find, but indispensable
    when you do.
    When I get gigs, I call my guy, Timmy first.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    For rock, blues, r&b and the like on fully amplified gigs I'd say yes absolutely but I've done a lot of unplugged gigs as a bassist with two guitars or a guitar and keys and it's worked out just fine. I have no problem holding down a pocket without one in that setting.
  6. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    A drum machine is always on time, doesn't show up drunk and never tries to steal your girlfriend.
    On the flip side, the machine isn't very inspirational and can't help load/unload gear.
  7. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    Like some drummers I've known.
  8. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

May 30, 2012
    He was dissin' drummers as being handicapped because they play drums.
    This happens often by people whose bands can't attract a decent drummer.

It's odd that a lot of the better bands are using 2 and 3 drummers. (not 3 drum machines) I never got that. 3 drummers all playing the same beat. wft?

If people didn't like drummers then why do they often get standing ovations after as solo where often the guitarists don't?

Sorry I take exception to generalizations where people paint everyone who plays a particular instrument with the same brush.

I am quite sure drummers could easily disrespect guitarists in general in a wide variety of ways and be justified in doing so and often do as well. I played drums and was a member of a good drum forum and the guitarist stories are quite horrifying at times.

Respect for what it takes to be a good guitarist and a good drummer.
    Disrespecting people serves no useful purpose. It doesn't make a bad musician into a good one and only serves to fuel inflated egos.

What good drummer would want to play in a band where drummer hate is already inbred? Get your drum machine, Have fun. DO what makes you happy.
  9. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    A sense of relief?
  10. Mjark

Mjark Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Django didn't need a drummer. As Soulman said.
  11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Some types of music really call or benefit from having a great live drummer. some don't. Playing a very simple form of old country, we use most anybody who can work brushes against a snare, or washboard, keep reasonable meter. which means most of my friends who are music fans are able to be our drummer after they know our set list (45 minutes) and they really like it. But it always sounds better when we have a good percussionist. Drummers have been a sore spot for me, too.
  12. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    I'd say 80% of the music I play, and listen too, has no drums.
  13. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

May 21, 2011
    South Carolina
    As a drummer and a guitar player I can appreciate both forms of expression. I also have been on both ends of disputes. It's easier to "take your ball and go home" when you're the guitarist ;)
  14. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

15. Pentatomic

Pentatomic Tele-Meister

Nov 3, 2010
    Troy, IL
    And you only have to punch the info into a drum machine once!! :D
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    First the drum machine, then the guitar machine, of course the bass machine comes as an accessory. They are still working on the "banjo" machine, so far only three dollars and fifteen cents has been allocated to the project. (Donated by a national banjo club)
  17. if the drummer can steal your girlfriend you are probably the bass player (okay, maybe keys)

I work with 3 very different all very great drummers... 1 of the 3 is really smart, 1 is very self deprecating, 1 is very weird but super talented and all are always on time...

keep looking.
  18. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2010
    If you have ever played with any good drummers you'll know there is a pretty unreplaceable thing going on. Still,we get by with machines if we have to,it's a different discipline.A good basher makes a band.

I can't begin to imagine playing a whole set without either a drummer or a machine.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009

20. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Jul 26, 2006
    I find this a ridiculous question...a good drummer is probably one of the most important pieces of a band. At least for the kind of music I like.
  21. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    So an anthropologist was hiking through the rainforest with his native guide, and they heard incessant drumming in the distance. The anthropologist asks the guide, "what's the meaning of the drums?" To which the guide shakes his head and answers, "Very bad when drums stop... very bad."

The drums continue all day and into the evening. As they are sitting around the campfire, the anthropologist once again asks the guide to explain the drums. And once again the guide simply shakes his head and says, "Very bad when drums stop... very bad."

The drumming continues into the night, and the anthropologist can't sleep. Finally, in the middle of the night, as he's lying in his tent, he suddenly realizes the drumming has stopped! He jumps up, bolts out of his tent, and breathlessly asks the guide, "The drums stopped... what happens now!?"

The guide sadly shakes his head and says, "bass solo."
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.